Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DuckReconMajor

vanilla Hexen

I downloaded shareware Hexen and stuck the full version iwad in there, but it still says "4 level demo" at startup. Where do I get vanilla Hexen?

Off the CD where you got your full version Iwad from. I think all commercial versions of HeXen came with the dos exe.

Or you can use ZDoom. Unfortunately the source code for Heretic and Hexen were only recently released, so there aren't really any source ports for either yet.

DuckReconMajor said:

I downloaded shareware Hexen and stuck the full version iwad in there, but it still says "4 level demo" at startup. Where do I get vanilla Hexen?

http://www.idsoftware.com/store/index.php?view=downloadable
http://www.steamgames.com/v/index.php?area=sub&SubId=440
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_vg/002-5266344-3314447?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=Hexen

StoneFrog said:

Or you can use ZDoom. Unfortunately the source code for Heretic and Hexen were only recently released, so there aren't really any source ports for either yet.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Hexen_ports

I was gonna say, doesn't Doomsday play Heretic and Hexen fine?

The latest GZDoom just freezes when I -iwad heretic.wad though.

Oh ok. I thought the id store version came with Hexen 95 or something like that so I pretty much just ripped the iwad out and left the rest. Thanks.

Super Jamie said:

I was gonna say, doesn't Doomsday play Heretic and Hexen fine?

Yes, and it looks beautiful, more so than GZDoom, but seems to be less moddable. It also seems to aim for classic gameplay, apart from some inevitable true-3d engine characteristics. The later available versions as beta have a glitch that breaks the Hexen soundsequences, but you can stick to the latest non-beta release, uploaded some time around Doom 3's release.

Super Jamie said:

The latest GZDoom just freezes when I -iwad heretic.wad though.

Which latest version? Latest official (1.2.01) or latest SVN (r332 at the moment of this post)? I don't have any problem with r332 and Heretic. Only issue I have with it is that this bug hasn't been fixed there yet (but it's already fixed in ZDoom, so it should be fixed in GZDoom the next time Graf updates the SVN).

Gez said:

Which latest version? Latest official (1.2.01) or latest SVN (r332 at the moment of this post)?

Yeah, 1.2.01. I've never really bothered to look into SVN.

Heretic's probably one of those games I'd rather play in DOSBox anyway. I only use GZDoom because proper mouselook makes harder wads alot easier.

Gez said:

(but it's already fixed in ZDoom, so it should be fixed in GZDoom the next time Graf updates the SVN).

As a matter of fact, r333 is available now and contains the bug fix. :)

I think I'll wait for the official release. Compiling under Linux seems like it's alot of effort, and I don't really understand enough about compilers and such to troubleshoot it.

StoneFrog said:

Incorrect. The source code has been around for years. There was a licensing issue that was only resolved last year. Plenty of Heretic and Hexen source ports exist.

printz said:

but seems to be less moddable

Different engine features does not equate to being less moddable.

I said 'seems', that meaning that I'm not sure. And I do hope I was wrong.

ZDoom is more moddable in the sense that it adds more feature (possibility to define new actors, many additional ACS instructions, all the additional MAPINFO/TEXTURES/ANIMDEFS/SNDINFO/SNDSEQ options, the Doom/Heretic/Strife features that are also available in Hexen, etc.).

But if you restrict yourself to "vanilla" features, then there should be no difference.

fraggle said:

Incorrect. The source code has been around for years. There was a licensing issue that was only resolved last year. Plenty of Heretic and Hexen source ports exist.

So those source ports were pretty much illegal?

Edit: oh never mind

Gez said:

ZDoom is more moddable in the sense that it adds more feature (possibility to define new actors, many additional ACS instructions, all the additional MAPINFO/TEXTURES/ANIMDEFS/SNDINFO/SNDSEQ options, the Doom/Heretic/Strife features that are also available in Hexen, etc.)

Doomsday has .ded, XT line extensions, bias lighting, a particle engine and some decent shaders to play with as some modding features from memory. And not a single project has taken advantage of it all.

printz said:

I said 'seems', that meaning that I'm not sure. And I do hope I was wrong.

Then read up and learn.

DuckReconMajor said:

So those source ports were pretty much illegal?

Edit: oh never mind

heh, it's rather messy.