Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mattfrie1

Rock Band: The Beatles?

I see that in the fad of music video games (at least I think it's a fad), They are coming out with a Rock Band game for The Beatles. Looks like a pretty fun game IMO, but a Rock Band game for The Beatles seems pretty far-fetched to me. What do you all think of the idea?

Trailer from E3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpBDOolcs9g&feature=popular

BTW, am I the only person that thinks they did an awful job in making Paul McCartney (and the rest of the Beatles for that matter) 3D?

I never got what anyone saw in the beatles.

Mattfrie1 said:

BTW, am I the only person that thinks they did an awful job in making Paul McCartney (and the rest of the Beatles for that matter) 3D?

No, you're not, but I'd probably check this game out anyway

Wow, they've actually given me a good reason to play a music game...

Mattfrie1 said:

Have you seen the real Paul McCartney lately? Reality did an awful job in making him 3D... :-)

Historical inaccuracy: they never played Taxman at the Budokan. (Wait... is it bad that I know that?)

JohnnyRancid said:

Also one of the worst band names in history when you actually think about it.

What made Guitar Hero great was that you were out of your own body playing a plastic guitar, Rock Band almost seems to reinforce that the instruments you're playing aren't real because the singer can never sing (and even if he can the game will count him down for it) and the sound of the plastic drums is louder than the song.

Im getting tired of Guitar Hero type games and their many, many sequels. Lets see...

Guitar Hero
Guitar Hero 2
Guitar Hero 3
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero Metallica
Guitar Hero On Tour
Guitar Hero World Tour
Rock Band
Rock Band 2
Rock Band Beatles
Lego Rock Band (In development, no joke.)
DJ Hero (Saw it on E3.)
Battle of the Bands
Guitar Hero 3 Mobile
Guitar Hero World Tour Mobile
Rock Revolution
Rock Revolution DS

and tons more are on their way.

OH WAIT! I forgot the PS2 exclusive track pack discs, not to mention all the strange third party GH like games by companies I have never heard of before. Such games like Guitar Praise.

I know its fun but fuck...

I've never understood why The Beatles are classified as "Rock".

Scet said:

Saying the Beatles isn't rock is almost like rejecting the Yardbirds or the Animals from the genre.

JohnnyRancid said:

I never got what anyone saw in the beatles.[/b]

Butts said:
[b]I don't understand why so many people liked the Beatles...

For the record - the Beatles were the greatest band that ever existed and they'll remain the greatest so long as there are Baby Boomers around to affirm their godlike status. :-)

In other words - it's largely a generational phenomena.

I'm 23 and I happen to like The Beatles.

But I don't play any of the Rockband games (seeing as I don't even have a console).

I like Rock Band and the Beatles are excellent, so chances are I'll be picking this up. I do agree that all the rhythm games are getting to be a bit much, though. At least Harmonix tends to just stick to releasing DLC for Rock Band 2 rather than churning out a new game every few months, but a few tracks for download just wouldn't do a band like the Beatles justice.

Bank said:

Why? I find it less cringe worthy than most 'metal' band names for example.

rf` said:

I'm 23 and I happen to like The Beatles.

But I don't play any of the Rockband games (seeing as I don't even have a console).

( ゜∀゜)人(゜∀゜ ) HIGH FIVE

A lot of Beatles music took a while to grow on me, but the same is true for most music, for me. I think Abbey Road was the first Beatles album that I really got into as a whole.

Just another cash cow to milk for the Rock Band franchise. If you can't make something new and original after 2 or 3 games..do what EA does...milk the series to death with spinoffs and countless expansion packs!

What's next, Rock Band: Pink Floyd and Rock Band: Jimi Hendrix?

Now I can understand deriding the Beatles for some of their pop stuff, but you also have to remember that it was when they started experimenting with some of the more psychedelic stuff that they really made an impact, one that really helped shape the course of rock music as we know it. Basically, almost everything before Sgt. Pepper, in my opinion, was good, but not exactly groundbreaking. But Sgt. Pepper really was a game-changer.

Mr. Chris said:

What's next, Rock Band: Pink Floyd...

I would buy that in a heartbeat.

esselfortium said:

( ゜∀゜)人(゜∀゜ ) HIGH FIVE

A lot of Beatles music took a while to grow on me, but the same is true for most music, for me. I think Abbey Road was the first Beatles album that I really got into as a whole.

Agreed, actually. In all respects. Abbeyroad was the gateway album for me. :P

Khorus said:

Why? I find it less cringe worthy than most 'metal' band names for example.

Maybe puns were really cutting edge in the 60s.

"We did consider the name 'Beetles', but Jerry [Allison] said, 'Aw, that's just a bug you'd want to step on', so we immediately dropped that." -- Niki Sullivan, sometimes member of The Crickets

(I'd buy "Rock Band: Buddy Holly", too)

Yay, they actually made one of a band that doesn't completely suck. I'd love to play it if one of my friends bought it. It's not really worth buying a console just to get though.

Also, The Beatles were one of the greatest bands in history. If you can't hear their innovativeness and technical expertise, then you really aren't listening. I mean, I'm not saying everyone has to love them, but it's pretty lame to just outright dislike them.

Scet said:

Wat. They're pretty much the definition of rock.

Bank said:

Well they were just following the formula of all the other British Invasion bands:

The Beatles
The Who
The Yardbirds
The Animals
The Zombies
The (Rolling) Stones

And yeah, I could probably list a hundred other terribly-named popular bands.

...because the singer can never sing (and even if he can the game will count him down for it) and the sound of the plastic drums is louder than the song.

I can attest to this. I'm a fairly good singer and I can't play on anything higher than Normal skill level, at the most. They pretty much force you to sing just like the original singer, which is retarded since everyone has different vocal chords and should try to sing the way they best can. Also, some of the songs are just fucked up and the vocals are way off on them. Those are mostly found in just the downloadable content, though.

I still have fun playing vocalist anyway.

Danarchy said:

I can attest to this. I'm a fairly good singer and I can't play on anything higher than Normal skill level, at the most. They pretty much force you to sing just like the original singer, which is retarded since everyone has different vocal chords and should try to sing the way they best can. Also, some of the songs are just fucked up and the vocals are way off on them. Those are mostly found in just the downloadable content, though.

I still have fun playing vocalist anyway.

That's not true at all. All you have to do is be in tune and you can pass nearly any song. The voice recognition only has two problems: it hates vibrato and it hates singing that isn't completely clean (hard rock/thrash metal type yelling, even if it's in tune). Rock Band is useful for pitch training mostly and phrasing a little bit, but not for dynamics or tone.

SingStar probably has the best voice recognition of any of the music video games.

Yeah, thing is, I shift my voice a bit to avoid notes I know I can't hit. I mean, it's not like you every cover you hear matches with the original song exactly.

Scet said:

rock is short for Rock 'n' Roll, which was a coined way back to the 40's, and was extremely soft back then compared to anything in today's form of rock. Even Little Richard, whom, if I recall, has no guitar in it at all, just drums and serious piano playing was considered rock at the time. A band like "Nickelback" back then would be the equivalent of "Job For A Cowboy" of today.

Mr. Chris said:

Just another cash cow to milk for the Rock Band franchise. If you can't make something new and original after 2 or 3 games..do what EA does...milk the series to death with spinoffs and countless expansion packs!

I was going to say that in the first post, lol. They always do that when you have a gimmicky thing going on. That happened quite a bit to the Mortal Kombat series before the fourth game came out and also not to mention all of the Pokemon games for consoles that came out 10 years ago. The Beatles are one of my favorite bands, but making a video game about them seems really weird and awkward for me. I give the developers credit though, at least they used the real songs unlike other games of the sort (The awful cover of "Can't you hear me Knockin'" from Guitar Hero 2 comes to mind).

I actually don't even play any of the Rock Band or Guitar Hero type games, considering I'm not interested in that type of game and not owning any of the consoles it's for (except PS2).

JohnnyRancid said:

Wow.

As much as I couldn't care for them, The Beatles pretty much CREATED the modern Rock that's still done today, even though things progressed where it's hard to hear the influences through one, or multiple artist down the chain of bands going towards their time.

A little fuzzy about the '50's, but I believe Elvis first really got Rock into the limelight, in a huge way (aside from his Gospel music).

I just don't like the Beatles. Not my cup of tea. In fact, I really don't like rock that much.

Georgef551 said:

Wow.

As much as I couldn't care for them, The Beatles pretty much CREATED the modern Rock that's still done today,

I understand that, but I like to listen to music that sounds like what I want to hear. I don't want to listen to classics for the sake of them being classics, it seems like people listen to the beatles purely for that reason.