Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David_Dweedle

If I put Quake 2 Midis in my Wad would copyright police blast my door down with Tanks

Quake 2 midis? I thought that game only had CD audio, did someone hand-make midi renditions or something?

I hope so.

Also, I hope you'll find stimulating conversation with the other members of the Dweedle family once you are losered yet again for ban-evading.

I had to figure that something like that was going to happen. I already answered you on NewDoom on a seperate thread before I got the P-Banhammer.

Stilgar said:

Quake 2 midis? I thought that game only had CD audio, did someone hand-make midi renditions or something?

Must of cause I found afew Google searching.. I think i'll take them out and just use Normal Doom music to be on the safe side.

No.

But think about something. Your map by itself is like 500 kilobytes. The music is like 3000 kilobytes. Doesn't it make more sense to use something like a midi, instead of jacking up the filesize just for music? What if you have like 10 maps? Are you going to include 10 of these tracks for consistency? That will make the end file like 30 MB at least...

People frown upon that kind of stuff, especially if the music doesn't really add that much to the game. Assuming music is 50% of the filesize of the wad, ask yourself if the music is actually 50% of the experience. If you can use a midi for example and the experience remains the same, you've accomplished something.

Also, you can forget about ever uploading to /newstuff.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, just be smart about it. At the very least compress it, and use a lower bitrate. In my own project, where I used a MP3, I cut down the bitrate to 64-128 VBR, and the music was still very excellent in-game. There is some sort of illusion going on, that makes low quality music sound better when it's mixed with the rest of Doom's low quality sounds.

EarthQuake said:

No.

But think about something. Your map by itself is like 500 kilobytes. The music is like 3000 kilobytes. Doesn't it make more sense to use something like a midi, instead of jacking up the filesize just for music? What if you have like 10 maps? Are you going to include 10 of these tracks for consistency? That will make the end file like 30 MB at least...

People frown upon that kind of stuff, especially if the music doesn't really add that much to the game. Assuming music is 50% of the filesize of the wad, ask yourself if the music is actually 50% of the experience. If you can use a midi for example and the experience remains the same, you've accomplished something.

Also, you can forget about ever uploading to /newstuff.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, just be smart about it. At the very least compress it, and use a lower bitrate. In my own project, where I used a MP3, I cut down the bitrate to 64-128 VBR, and the music was still very excellent in-game. There is some sort of illusion going on, that makes low quality music sound better when it's mixed with the rest of Doom's low quality sounds.

Well, that is all very good advice, but he did say "Quake 2 Midis".

Mr. Chris said:

before I got the P-Banhammer.

WTF. Phobus also posts in the ZDoom forums, seems to know guys there who also dwell here, has or had a mod position there to be able to ban. Doesn't make sense.

printz said:

WTF. Phobus also posts in the ZDoom forums, seems to know guys there who also dwell here, has or had a mod position there to be able to ban. Doesn't make sense.

Phoebus != Phobus

Oh wait, there are Quake II midis?

I thought he just misunderstood and meant like mp3s ripped from the CD. Interesting though, I've never heard these...

I doubt there are any copyright midi's, there's midis from video game music all around you. I've played wads with Wolfenstein 3d Music, Heretic Music, Hexen Music, Strife Music, Duke Nukem 3d Music, Rise of the Triad Music, Blood Music, Mortal Kombat Music, Street Fighter 2 Music, as well as Iron Maiden, Metallica, Corrosion of Conformity, and Nine Inch Nails music, and music from countless other generic metal bands.

As well as quake 2 music.

You don't have anything to worry about as far as midi's go I'm pretty sure.