Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David_Dweedle

Some Boom Questions

Well I cant find any tutorials to make Intermission and Text Screens for Vanilla Doom so.. I am wondering if its possible to do such things useing Boom? Boom isn't huge difference so I am hopeing it will provide me with the ability to make Text Screens and POSSIBLY intermission screens.. otherwise i'll be forever making levels without ppl knowing there name etc.. I hope people understand what im trying to say. Thanks in advance.

DEHACKED is what you're looking for. You can only change existing text, ie. in the same place where text appears in the original Doom. You can't place text before or after any level you like. In Boom, you also can use BEX files as an alternative to DEH, which makes you able to have longer strings, but again, you can't have text screens anywhere. Level names in the map view can be changed the same way.
Of course, there are more advanced ports, if you really need.

The intermission screen is different, as the level names are just graphic lumps here. (Which is not very obvious indeed, since they seem to use the same font as the big letter sprites.)

LogicDeLuxe said:

DEHACKED is what you're looking for. You can only change existing text, ie. in the same place where text appears in the original Doom. You can't place text before or after any level you like. In Boom, you also can use BEX files as an alternative to DEH, which makes you able to have longer strings, but again, you can't have text screens anywhere. Level names in the map view can be changed the same way.
Of course, there are more advanced ports, if you really need.

The intermission screen is different, as the level names are just graphic lumps here. (Which is not very obvious indeed, since they seem to use the same font as the big letter sprites.)

so with this DEHACKED tool.. I can change Text Screens and stuff like that? im going to googleicious it and see if I can find how it works. thx

EDIT: Nvm cant even get it to run.. i'll figure out a way to do text screens tho.. must be a away.

esselfortium said:

Try WhackEd2; it's a Windows editor for Dehacked and BEX.

Is there any tutorials for this? I cant figure these things out its unfair to people who have no experiance with this sort of stuff..

OMFG YES YES YES I DID IT!!!

I worked it out guys! I saved a DEH file into my wad useing slumped and now it seems ot show my text screen after e1m8! YES! wooooooot. Hopefully it will show with all source ports.. I used Skulltag to test this but hopefully it works on all sourceports.

Gotta work out how to change level names in intermission now..

David_Dweedle said:

I saved a DEH file into my wad useing slumped and now it seems ot show my text screen after e1m8! YES! wooooooot. Hopefully it will show with all source ports.. I used Skulltag to test this but hopefully it works on all sourceports.

Should work with most ports. Some require you to load the DEH file separately, though, so you better put a separate copy of the DEH file into the ZIP as well. Especially when your wad is made for Vanilla Doom.

LogicDeLuxe said:

Should work with most ports. Some require you to load the DEH file separately, though, so you better put a separate copy of the DEH file into the ZIP as well. Especially when your wad is made for Vanilla Doom.

Thanks for letting me know that.. I will do that. Thanks