Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David_Dweedle

What sort of mapping does Zdoom offer?

For like.. Single player mapping.. what advantages does it have over Vannilla Doom? If I wanted to make a 9 Level replacement for Ultimate Doom would I beable to make better maps with Zdoom? or is there a better sourceport available.. and where do tutorials for Said sourceports be?

"Better maps"? Not necessarily. Depending on your mapping skills and what you're trying to accomplish, you may or may not. ZDoom has a huge number of editing features that aren't available in vanilla Doom, but it won't make your maps better in and of itself of course.

A common target sourceport for WADs is Boom, the features of which are compatible with the majority of modern sourceports, so maps made for it can (almost always) be played in most peoples' favorite sourceports, including ZDoom. Depending on what you want to do, the Boom standard might be all you need.

esselfortium said:

"Better maps"? Not necessarily. Depending on your mapping skills and what you're trying to accomplish, you may or may not. ZDoom has a huge number of editing features that aren't available in vanilla Doom, but it won't make your maps better in and of itself of course.

A common target sourceport for WADs is Boom, the features of which are compatible with the majority of modern sourceports, so maps made for it can (almost always) be played in most peoples' favorite sourceports, including ZDoom. Depending on what you want to do, the Boom standard might be all you need.

I'll googleicious Boom and see what differences it offers.. I wanna add some complicated things like raiseing a Bridge from toxic waste but it changes texture " like in E1M3 u know the one? "

Glad ive worked out how to do teleport ambushes tho on Vanilla doom :D its actually quite easy :) glad I figured that out.

EDIT: Doom Wiki seems to tell me Boom can make Conveyor belts

QUOTE DOOM WIKI: "Scrolling walls, floors, and ceilings (including support for conveyor belts). "

As soon as ive finished my Vanilla Ultimate Doom map im going to make a Boom one and try make a Factory type map.. conveyor belts sound fun lol.

Raising bridges is relatively easy to do, since it's a vanilla feature.

Mr. Chris said:

Raising bridges is relatively easy to do, since it's a vanilla feature.

Heh the prob is I cant find any text tutorials on how its done.. and my internets in a crappy state at the moment due to shifting house so we are on dial-up till broadband is sorted out.. so cant check any vid tutorials...

Or Linedef action 20 (switch operated) or Linedef action 47 (gunshot activated).

David_Dweedle said:

Heh the prob is I cant find any text tutorials on how its done.

There's a bunch of tutorials here (some links are dead) plus some more here to get you started.

@David - if the post you're replying to is immediately above your's, there's usually no need to quote it.

You can find examples of this in Doom1 E1M3 (Toxin Refinery), E2M2 (Containment Area) aswell as Doom2 Map12 (The Factory).

GreyGhost said:

Or Linedef action 20 (switch operated) or Linedef action 47 (gunshot activated).
There's a bunch of tutorials here (some links are dead) plus some more here to get you started.

@David - if the post you're replying to is immediately above your's, there's usually no need to quote it.

its just a habit :P 99% of the time I use the quote button.. mostly for my own benefit so I can remember who i was talking to lol