Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bardcat

gzdoom lightmap

i couldn't find anything about this elsewhere, and i'm sure it's been discussed/accomplished before, but whatever. fuck it. anyway, i've been ever curious as to whether or not it is possible to implement the use of lightmaps in gzdoom. after poking around the .pk3 for a minute i found gllight.png, played around with the texture i wanted casting the shadow, and came up with this:

of course, that totally eliminates use of dynamic lighting elsewhere. perhaps it would be possible to define more using decorate or some other entry?

Nah. It would compromise Graf's plan to eventually rewrite the dynlight code to use shaders, which would be much faster than the current code.

You might obtain a similar effect by tweaking the map. Create clones of the textures, and give them a brightmap.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

That doesn't mean textured lighting is a bad idea. I'd love to be able to abuse the fuck out of something like this being definable in DECORATE.

@Gez: I thought brightmaps were a sprites-only deal :/

Fisk said:

@Gez: I thought brightmaps were a sprites-only deal :/

They're not. I've seen pictures of them used on walls.

Gez said:

They're not. I've seen pictures of them used on walls.

where? i'd like to see how this is done...

I would really be interested in seeing volumetric light implemented into one of the ports (I presume Doomsday would probably be the most likely, if Dani and them ever get new stuff rolling).

The screenshot in the OP would look 100x better if you could see the light streaming across the hall onto the wall. I know this can be kind of done with sector_setfade, or custom middle textures with partial transparency from skylights, but it would be awesome to be able to have the same effect from wall windows!

Sort of. Crepuscular rays are rays of sunlit air, if I'm not mistaken, sort of like sunbursts. I'm talking more about light being scattered by dust or other particles (snow is a good example), where the light appears to have volume, and can be from any light source. I guess it's the same thing, but I can't find any term for it so I suppose "crepuscular rays" will do. However in 3d rendering, it is called volumetric lighting.

Picture examples:

TheDigitalNomad said:

Sort of. Crepuscular rays are rays of sunlit air, if I'm not mistaken, sort of like sunbursts. I'm talking more about light being scattered by dust or other particles (snow is a good example), where the light appears to have volume, and can be from any light source. I guess it's the same thing, but I can't find any term for it so I suppose "crepuscular rays" will do. However in 3d rendering, it is called volumetric lighting.

Picture examples:

i've seen vavoom do this...

yeah, vavoom isn't too great, imo. but it's all entirely possible in gzdoom with gradient translucent PNGs. having the texture displayed vertically wouldn't be much of a challenge, but lights that shoot out from the walls would be kinda hard... i think it might be possible with translucent sloped 3d floors or something..

Yeah, the translucent middle textures are used a few times in KDIZD. And as I said a similar effect can be done with sector_setfade. But unfortunately neither work with horizontal things like windows!

Actually, I think Legacy2 might have a feature like this as well, but I'm sure that will be released with Duke Nukem Forever.

The cake Duke Nukem Forever is a lie!

And I've been trying to accomplish that effect in GZDoom using 3d floors and gradient textures. Is it possible to make additive transparency on 3D floors with gzdoom?