Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David_Dweedle

How do I edit Doom Level name intermission screen

I cant work it out.. i use some programe called Bitmap Font Writer and use the image I make with it and put it in SlumPed and rename the image "WILV00" but it still dont show up! wtf gives? can anyone help me out plz.

No idea why, but I've had issues getting game graphics (not counting textures and flats) to work using SLumpEd; for some reason the titlepic in one wad I created was not showing up when I was inserting it with SLumpEd. However, XWE worked--have you tried that?

WILVem, where e is between 0 and 3 and m is between 0 and 8, correspond to the ExMx maps. E1M1 has WILV00, E2M5 has WILV14, E4M9 has WILV38.

But nobody ever mods for Ultimate Doom. Doom 2, as well as Plutonia and TNT, use CWILVmm, where mm is the map number minus 1. MAP01 has CWILV00, MAP16 has CWILV15, MAP32 has CWILV31.

The C stands for "Commercial", by the way. That's one of two prefixes they've used in their code to separate between the Doom data and the Doom 2 data. The other is R for "Retail" (e.g., the RW* patches, "Retail Wall").

Ultimate Doom still offers the challenge of being limited to but a few monsters and textures.

TheDigitalNomad said:

No idea why, but I've had issues getting game graphics (not counting textures and flats) to work using SLumpEd; for some reason the titlepic in one wad I created was not showing up when I was inserting it with SLumpEd. However, XWE worked--have you tried that?

I will try XWE.

Tried in XWE but all it does it put a white line halfway thru the top cornor of the screen instead of the text I made.. nvm I guess i'll just name the levels in the Txt file.

Why do you want to change it, as it is pretty tricky to get one working and without visual weirdness with the animated parts.

Mr. Chris said:

Why do you want to change it, as it is pretty tricky to get one working and without visual weirdness with the animated parts.

Well to be honest it would look funny having a level named Phobos Lab when the level isn't really a lab.. know what I mean? anyway im not worried bout it now.. too busy fixing up a mess my computer made..

David_Dweedle said:

Tried in XWE but all it does it put a white line halfway thru the top cornor of the screen instead of the text I made..

Which font did you use? While it's highly unlikely that any of Bitmap Font Writer's default fonts are using the Doom pallete they're nothing more than bitmap images and with a bit of work could be re-mapped to suit since none are using more than 16 colours.

Bump - with significance.

I recently discovered that Doom Word only supports 4 non-alphanumeric characters - far fewer than I wanted or needed for a personal project - and decided to try my hand at creating some Doom font sets for Bitmap Font Writer.

Here's a few thumbnails for the "pics or it didn't happen crowd" -

While Bitmap Font Writer's limited to using one font at a time it gives the user plenty of formatting options - even allowing negative offsets for character spacing, -1 is ideal for creating Doom-style map titles. If David's done little else right since joining these forums he has at least discovered a useful little utility.

For whoever's interested here are the fonts - 15 point mixed case and 8 point all-caps in red and grey. There's a few characters I'm not 100% happy with so I won't mind if someone decides to improve upon them.