Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kid Airbag

Help the Ignorant

Being an editing newbie, how do you get things to work like in Dead Simple, where after you kill monsters, something opens or lowers, etc.

There's a part of my level with three Cyberdemons. After you kill them, I would like a door to open revealing the way out of the room and the yellow key. How can I do this? Is it possible on WadAuthor?

Any help would be appreciated.

It won't work in the original doom, you need a port.

Dead simple is special, it's partly hardcoded into the exe. AFAIK, you can do the same thing, but only on map07, and only for mancubi and arachnotrons.

To see how it's done, just open the level and look at the sectors that lower. They have some special type number.

Yeah, their tags are 666 and 667. I already looked, hoping it would explain how. Oh well. So much for that idea.

Yeah, their tags are 666 and 667. I already looked, hoping it would explain how. Oh well. So much for that idea.

I think you can do it with Zdoom if you're deadset on it.

You can do it with ZDoom, either using an ACS script to keep track of the monsters and perform an action when they're dead or specifying a special in the MAPINFO lump.

I made another solution already. I don't feel like fucking with source ports when I'm so close to the end of the level.

There's also a tag number, that activates when all Commander Keen's are killed. TNT used this a lot in eternal, since it works in every level.

Anyway, easiest way to do that, would be RTS. You just simply use a radiustrigger with -1 radius,and add ondeath, and activate_linetype tags. It's also possible make the key appear when the Cyberdemons are killed.

I'm sure that's possible for you smart people...but like I said, "Help the ignorant" :P

Doesn't matter anymore, anyway. Level's done, and ready to upload...if I could only figure out how to upload. Heh, I'm dumb :)

I'm sure that's possible for you smart people...but like I said, "Help the ignorant" :P

Doesn't matter anymore, anyway. Level's done, and ready to upload...if I could only figure out how to upload. Heh, I'm dumb :)

I think maybe you should e-mail these guys if you want to upload a level.

Simple. Download dehacked, and call up the sprite table. This may look like a load of numbers, well it is. Search for the dying frames (Usually the last) of the cyberdemon and the keen, and copy the code pointer from the keen to the cyberdemon.

With very little deh knowledge, this can be done - just play around.

The end result is a patch that can be used to edit the Doom2.exe to display the behaviour you wish, and be used by source ports as well with either the -deh or -dehacked parameters.

Easy to do with any editor including WadAuthor, though you must be editing in "zdoom-hexen" mode. You can give one of the cybers a special, which is open door, or you can make the special acs_execute and do stuff. If you want to open the door when the last cyber dies, no matter which one, you should use thingcount in a script, keeping count of live cybers. When the last cyber dies, the script continues, and that's where you put the "open door" stuff.

Put this as part of a script which starts running before or when you first engage the cybers. When there are none left alive, the script x (you assign the number) will be executed. Or, you could just have a door_raise statement instead of that acs_execute.

while (thingcount (T_CYBERDEMON, 0))
{
delay (5*35);
}
acs_execute (x, 0, 0, 0, 0);