Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TheeXile

Doom Heroes

Within the Doom community, who are the people you look up to or respect the most?

I'll start:

• Bob Evans: Creator of probably THE most sadistic and epic level I've ever played. Anyone who's beaten Eternal Doom map30 without cheating must surely agree. This guy is my hero!

Where the feck is he now, anyway? I want to raep hug him for putting me through that evil beast of a map.
  • Jim Flynn: Tons of shit. From his funky and awesome thematic level ideas (also in Eternal Doom), doom minesweeper, general teamtnt contributions, and especially his role in Boom's development. Great guy.
  • Alexander "Eternal" S. (aka Deadall): For proving to me once and for all that less is truly more. Also liked his train idea in Epic.
  • Cyb: Void. 'nuff said.
  • PRĀSAGE Can't leave out Cyberdreams, now can we? ;)
Got weird tastes, I know. :P

I've omitted a ton of others that could have also made this list (Huy, Mordeth, Fredrik Johansson, etc.). I just picked these people in particular because they stand out in my recent memory for some reason.

I'll throw in a quick mention for Creaphis, though, for his Castle Chezcrea map. It reminded me of a map I tried to make years ago but never finished, which got me motivated to dabble back into map making again.

Your turn.

I've never had as much respect for any multiplayer mapper as I have had for Toke. He mapped a little bit of everything, and everything he did was epic in some form or another. I have him to thank for many of my own projects, and even my mapping style, which has adopted many of his tricks. Toke was an avid oldschooler with the ability to think outside of the box and create things that seasoned veterans and younger newcomers could both enjoy. I don't think anyone will ever fill his gap...

Espi, for making some great maps and being really strong through his current situation
My school, for allowing me to play Doom during free time ;P
The source port programmers here, for keeping a 15 year old game going strong
And many, many other people which don't come to mind at the moment

Tree, for the one gameplay editor. He seemed to be an active member of the community back around 1994 until after Ultimate Doom, making, besides his program, maps and whatnot.

TeamTNT, for the port of choice of most mappers.

There are others, quite active right now in the community, but I won't mention them because it would look too damn flattering.

WHAT COMES UP MUST COMoh nevermind.
Michael Chang Gummelt. He did that awesome .deh file (and later that awesome PROGS.DAT). He's so raven, if you know what I mean.

Tree because he de hacked. This revolutionized a ton of things and inspired John Carmack into releasing their QuakeC source, which of course led to events that have permanently changed the gaming universe.

Ben Morris. He did that awesome DCK editor (and later that awesome WC editor). Too bad he's one with the borg.

leileilol said:

Tree[/b] because he de hacked. This revolutionized a ton of things and inspired John Carmack into releasing their QuakeC source, which of course led to events that have permanently changed the gaming universe.

Interesting.

Ben Morris. He did that awesome DCK editor (and later that awesome WC editor). Too bad he's one with the borg.

I presume you mean Microsoft? :P

I'm surprised no one said ''the whole community for keeping Doom alive ever since 1994''

Oh hell...

The whole community for keeping Doom alive ever since 1994. o:

• The Bordeus for creating the masterpiece, Batman Doom.
  • CodeImp for Doom Builder.
  • fraggle for Chocolate Doom and Randy Heit & Graf Zahl for ZDoom (my favorite source ports currently).
  • Linguica for Doomworld (the best damn Doom web portal since day one).
  • Lee Killough for his amazing work on Boom.
  • fraggle, The Green Herring and Ryan W for an absolutely huge bunch of contributions at the Doom Wiki.
  • Richard Wiles, Kurt Kesler and Cyb for creating likely the best Doom levels I've ever played.
  • Scuba Steve for the Action Doom series and the Cacowards.
  • Ty Halderman for maintaining the idgames archive and for spearheading all the cool TeamTNT projects.
Plus what Archvile78 said.

Yup, I guess I have to give props to the people still tinkering with the editors and the engines, which is absolutely mind-boggling when you remember that it's about 31 years later. As for mappers, I never grew too close to anyone in the first generation, but among more recent figures I'll mention BPRD, as his maps are brilliantly bizarre, and Espi, as his maps are brilliant even when they follow all the rules.

Also, every time I ever write a post here I'm subconsciously seeking Myk's approval.

TheeXile said:

I'll throw in a quick mention for Creaphis, though, for his Castle Chezcrea map. It reminded me of a map I tried to make years ago but never finished, which got me motivated to dabble back into map making again.

Haha, come on. Every time I even think about that map I'm only reminded about the stupid notions I had about mapping that gave rise to it (that mapping should be grueling, perfectionist work) which spread to other creative media and put me in a rut that I'm not entirely out of. But I'm glad you you found it inspiring!

Sheesh, to win a Cacoward for the by-product of a diseased mind. That's like if I had a trophy for "Best Scab!"

Creaphis said:
Also, every time I ever write a post here I'm subconsciously seeking Myk's approval.

Ew.

Haha, come on. Every time I even think about that map I'm only reminded about the stupid notions I had about mapping that gave rise to it (that mapping should be grueling, perfectionist work) which put me in a rut that I'm not entirely out of. But I'm glad you you found it inspiring!

Heh. Yeah, that's the very reason I never finished mine. But that was a long time ago. Pre-Boom for sure. I wouldn't dare release it now, though, even with an overhaul. It's such a mess. :P

TheeXile said:

Ew.

Well, it's not really like that. It's just that, when I post an argument, part of me feels, deep down, that if Myk were to come along and say, "Good argument," and give my head a paternal rub, all would be well.

Creaphis said:

Well, it's not really like that. It's just that, when I post an argument, part of me feels, deep down, that if Myk were to come along and say, "Good argument," and give my head a paternal rub, all would be well.

Edit: :P

Bahdko for doom2.net.

ocelot for being a legit doomgod for others to worship.

#nightmare (and #nightmare2) for surviving.