Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

High-res sprites

Ed said:

Upping the res on Doom's entire sprite library is a monumental task

Really? Really isn't it automated? The artifacts created around the high-res Demon's eyes and teeth do make me think it's automated.

I believe it's automated. If it was all done manually I think he'd have avoided the little "iffy" bits on the demon's teeth and all. He also said earlier he's trying to find a good "template" setup for himself before moving forward.

Anyway, they look great. I was thinking about this ever since the Skulltag item pack. Hope you keep this project going!

I don't think you COULD automate the process completely and get a good result. There are flaws in the original sprites that would be amplified. So no I don't think you can do that if you wanted it to look good.

Don't mean to necropost, but this person did such an amazing job on this
I hope it's still alive in someway

Remember how the original Doom Monsters were high quality clay models that someone took pictures of to make the sprites?

I read that the images were DOWNSCALED from their original resolution. So maybe the original image data is still stored somewhere, in it's raw high-res goodness.

Or not.

If the creator of this project is still around, keep it up. This looks pretty awesome.

phi108 said:

So maybe the original image data is still stored somewhere, in it's raw high-res goodness.

We can all desperately, desperately dream.

phi108 said:

I read that the images were DOWNSCALED from their original resolution. So maybe the original image data is still stored somewhere, in it's raw high-res goodness.

Or not.

I'd bet that only the down-scaled versions have been edited to turn them into sprites. If you compare the pictures of the models with the sprites, you'll notice differences that can not be explained by mere downscaling.

Yeah, I still have plans to finish it, but I've put it off because of some poor responses I've gotten. I'll take another look at what I've got, and see if it's worth posting. I mean, not much has changed since the last link.

Plus, I might change the "hi-resolution" tagline to 3x resolution sprites instead.

But, sure, if anybody is still interested in it, and it's companion wad, pre-doom, which has the enemies in a non-zombie state, (kind of before Doom)I'll post a link.

Oh, and please check out my other stuff on youtube.
User/channel: 8thmonth

Any project which modifies Doom at such a fundamental level is going to have its' share of appreciators and (often vocal) detractors.

I'm not such a fan of the JDTP or the MD2 models, but I know alot of people like to play Doom almost exclusively with them. Conversely I absolotely love Perkristian's Smoother Weapon Sprites, but others have said changing the chaingun into single-shot is enough to turn them away from using it. Things like the High Res Sound Pack and even sourceports which have different physics which make demos desync fall under the same category.

However, even for things I don't like, I wouldn't dream of discouraging anyone. I'd rather have people developing for Doom than forgetting about it and moving onto other games. Projects like this either enhance our Doom play in a way never possible, or make us appreciate Vanilla that little bit more.

You should continue with this because it's a good idea. I personally would have to play it for real to see if it was good for me, but there's no denying it has the potential to make alot of people's Doom experience better than ever before.