Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SYS

Where black people and white people buy furniture

ugggggggghhhhhhhh i hate endless youtube video threads. i really just don't have the patience to watch all these. I'd rather read some short 3 sentence posts.

They are doubly frustrating for those of us on slow connections who can't watch the videos without them buffering for ages or playing a couple of seconds then buffering then playing a couple of seconds then buffering then playing a couple of seconds then buffering then playing a couple of seconds then buffering then...

Aliotroph? said:

Jonesbigasstruckrentalsandstorage.com comes up as a blocked domain.

Weird, it used to sell T-shirts and have his answering machine messages.

My personal beef with ... flash applets in general is that until very recently there was no way to display video as an embed like a normal movie player would (VLC, WMP, whatever) and it was rendered 100% by the CPU. I have a video card for a reason. If flash cannot do what WMP and many other players have been doing for years, it needs to start doing it, because as it is is wrong.

It's one of those many reasons that you have to have a modern computer to even watch youtube. If youtube used MIME/Video instead of Flash, youtube could be watchable on anything from a new computer to an old PII.

But, not to worry. There are userscripts galore that solve this problem. :)

Also, on topic, the bigass storage always cracks me up

Csonicgo said:

It's one of those many reasons that you have to have a modern computer to even watch youtube. If youtube used MIME/Video instead of Flash, youtube could be watchable on anything from a new computer to an old PII.

On a hi-end PII with a fast AGP 4x/8x videocard, maybe. MPEG4/h263/h264 playback is even more demanding than DVD playback, which a PII can barely pull off. I've even seen Pentium IV-class machines stumble on youtube videos due to video card limitations (anything under a 4x AGP just barfs on it, and it's usually even worse with rescaling).

The main problem is that youtube videos are almost always rescaled (unless you download the .flv and play it back on MPC or something), so it's actually pretty taxing on hardware that can't do scaling properly (many TNT2 and older cards crap out on this).

I suppose I have always been lucky, I would get around 65 fps with mpeg4 when I used my old PII laptop--- although it was the latest codecs and all that jazz so that might have been a factor.

Another external factor might play to our advantage: the popularity of netbooks. if they are to play video, the codecs should be as optimized as possible. And then there's codecs made to work on low power mobile devices...

Enjay said:

They are doubly frustrating for those of us on slow connections who can't watch the videos without them buffering for ages or playing a couple of seconds then buffering then playing a couple of seconds then buffering then playing a couple of seconds then buffering then playing a couple of seconds then buffering then...

ASK ME ABOUT YOUTUBE/DIAL-UP INTERNET

Close, but it's not multiple paragraphs over multiple posts, though it's certainly heading in the right direction :P