Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SamDaMan719

How do I make it so when i kill all the enemies the door opens?

Hey,
Im useing Doom Builder...2? i think idk
But I wanna know how to make it so when the player kills everyone in the room or sector or what not a door opens up or a lift lowers or something. I've seen it in doom, how can I do this in my wad?

Please help, it'd be much appretiated!

EDIT ( DOOM 2 NOT THE ORIGINAL DOOM)!!!

but this is for doom 2
EDIT: And even if how would i access that "hardcoded" stuff and make it so it works in my level?

As said, theres a code that is hard-coded... I believe in Doom1 (Ultimate) it's like 666 or something on E1M8: Phobos Anomaly and Doom 2 is 667 on Map07: Dead Simple... But I think there is an ACS script for that too, but I haven't seen it floating around.

-Edit- But I believe those codes are floor loweirng though, but I'm not sure.
-Edit- XWE and anything that can go in-depth of a WAD file.

Mithral_Demon said:

As said, theres a code that is hard-coded... I believe in Doom1 (Ultimate) it's like 666 or something on E1M8: Phobos Anomaly and Doom 2 is 667 on Map07: Dead Simple... But I think there is an ACS script for that too, but I haven't seen it floating around.

-Edit- But I believe those codes are floor loweirng though, but I'm not sure.
-Edit- XWE and anything that can go in-depth of a WAD file.

Ok so, I'm in Doom Builder, how do i make so i kill all the demons of all sorts open up a door? or a lift or anything?

Edit : For Doom 2

Using no special port features?

You'd have to put the A_KeenDie codepointer on said monster type using DeHackEd, and add a door with tag 666. When all of said monsters die, the door opens. This is exactly how the commander keens on map32 open that exit door, only you'd be putting the "hardcodedness" on a completely different monster.

I'd suggest downloading WhackEd2 for this job, and having a peek around. You want to change the "Action" for the last frame on some monster's death state. Then save the patch and run it alongside your wad. Most source ports have a -deh command line parameter you can use to load patches. If you're using vanilla Doom, you'll have to backup your executable, and apply the patch to it with DeHackEd.

Do you use an advanced port with scripting, or not? If you use a port such as ZDoom or Eternity, you can script what you want precisely. If you use vanilla or a port without scripting, you're limited to repeating the situations engineered by the original authors.

Vanilla: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Tag_666
ZDoom: http://zdoom.org/wiki/ACS
Eternity: http://eternity.youfailit.net/index.php?title=Small

If you use ZDoom with UDMF or the Hexen map format, you can also directly put the action special on a monster in the editor, without scripting. E.g., you give an imp the special 11:Door_Open and the door tag, and when you kill that imp, the tagged door opens.

EarthQuake said:

Using no special port features?

You'd have to put the A_KeenDie codepointer on said monster type using DeHackEd, and add a door with tag 666. When all of said monsters die, the door opens. This is exactly how the commander keens on map32 open that exit door, only you'd be putting the "hardcodedness" on a completely different monster.

I'd suggest downloading WhackEd2 for this job, and having a peek around. You want to change the "Action" for the last frame on some monster's death state. Then save the patch and run it alongside your wad. Most source ports have a -deh command line parameter you can use to load patches. If you're using vanilla Doom, you'll have to backup your executable, and apply the patch to it with DeHackEd.

Okay, I'll go ahead and try that.
but what's a special port feature?

Gez said:

Do you use an advanced port with scripting, or not? If you use a port such as ZDoom or Eternity, you can script what you want precisely. If you use vanilla or a port without scripting, you're limited to repeating the situations engineered by the original authors.

Vanilla: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Tag_666
ZDoom: http://zdoom.org/wiki/ACS
Eternity: http://eternity.youfailit.net/index.php?title=Small

If you use ZDoom with UDMF or the Hexen map format, you can also directly put the action special on a monster in the editor, without scripting. E.g., you give an imp the special 11:Door_Open and the door tag, and when you kill that imp, the tagged door opens.

Uhm, I use zDoom when i want to play wads or Doom and Doom 2 and such

Well, it all boils down to what you want your audience to use. If you use source port editing features, like the ones described in Gez's post, you will be reaching a smaller audience (e.g. the ones that use ZDoom). It's always best to use the bare minimum in terms of source port compatibility, especially if you only want to take advantage of a few simple features.

DeHackEd can do what you want, and practically no one will be left out when it comes to releasing your wad.

Edit: If you want, tell me which monster you want to trigger the door, and I'l write the patch up for you. It's a simple 5-second job.

okay

this is just getting unnescarily confusing for me.

I tried that Whacked2 thing and i tried to open mywad.wad but it said it was a valid Iwad so i opened doom2.wad it opened but i didnt know what to do so i closed it now i cant open up whacked2 anymore and urgh. lol

EDIT : Nevermind I can open it again

EarthQuake said:

Well, it all boils down to what you want your audience to use. If you use source port editing features, like the ones described in Gez's post, you will be reaching a smaller audience (e.g. the ones that use ZDoom). It's always best to use the bare minimum in terms of source port compatibility, especially if you only want to take advantage of a few simple features.

DeHackEd can do what you want, and practically no one will be left out when it comes to releasing your wad.

Edit: If you want, tell me which monster you want to trigger the door, and I'l write the patch up for you. It's a simple 5-second job.

Well here's the thing...

This is how the level is so far...Its a very simple plain level.
Map04 if that changes anything, but you start, grab some ammo in this long hallway, and halfway you cross a line which lowers the walls which empites out Troopers, Imps, Barron of Hells, Hell knights, Lost Souls, on you and you kill them and what i want is a door to open so you can leave.
BUT as you see its not just one type of enemie

When you start a new patch, don't specify anything in the "Data WAD" section. That for if your project contains new sprites and such. After you've gotten your IWAD pointing to doom2.wad in the options menu (View >> Options), you can begin. Go to the "States" tab and scroll through the list until you find the monster you want to change. After that, start looking for which frames deal with the death state of that monster. For example, frame 495 is the last frame in the Demon's death state. If you double click on that, a window should popup and you can edit various properties of this frame. You want to give it an "Action" of "KeenDie". This is the codepointer used for the commander keen things on map32 to make the exit door open.

Whenever a demon dies, that codepointer is executed, and it checks to see if there are any remaining demons. If so, do nothing. Otherwise open all doors tagged 666.

SamDaMan719 said:

Well here's the thing...

This is how the level is so far...Its a very simple plain level.
Map04 if that changes anything, but you start, grab some ammo in this long hallway, and halfway you cross a line which lowers the walls which empites out Troopers, Imps, Barron of Hells, Hell knights, Lost Souls, on you and you kill them and what i want is a door to open so you can leave.
BUT as you see its not just one type of enemie

Then it seems you're much out of luck, as you don't want to do this with every monster. Why not have like a high sector lower so that you just have to wait on it before leaving?

You're probably better off using ZDoom features then... You'll have to switch configurations in Doom Builder, so you can take advantage of scripting and such to pull this off.

EarthQuake said:

Then it seems you're much out of luck, as you don't want to do this with every monster. Why not have like a high sector lower so that you just have to wait on it before leaving?

You're probably better off using ZDoom features then... You'll have to switch configurations in Doom Builder, so you can take advantage of scripting and such to pull this off.

Ok well here.

First off i tried looking through the state things and i didnt find demon and lets say i found..Cyberdemon. But it dont give like up to 495 frames to find which one says it dies in so idk about that.
but anyway before that i want to ask you a quesion.

The reason for opening the door after they all die is just so the player can't just run throught without fighting. Do you have another idea on how to make it so they have to fight them or at least some of them and not just leave that room?

EDIT : SORRY I didnt see the thing at the right that showed the sprite for the thing. i found the demon and the demons death. sorry

okay well Im sorry i post things before i experiment to much and im posting alot

well

i changed demon's death animation to the action keen death like you told me to.
Now what?
I deleted everything in that level expect 1 demon to test it out and the door with a tag of 666
1. Do i save the WhackEd2 patch? if so where? and how do i get it to work in mywad during my testing within Doom Builder

Hmm, I dunno how to run it through Doom Builder. There's probably a place where you can enter extra command line parameters, and if you're using ZDoom you would want to use the -deh <filename> command. An easier way of doing it would be to drag and drop the wad and .deh file onto the ZDoom executable/shortcut. That should automatically load both.

Also, you can use WhackEd to put that codepointer on any monster, you just have to find the right frame in the list.

Well What do you know? It works! lol

took a while, thanks and I wish there was a way to make it so you have to kill every type of monster in that room but hey that works so its good with me
Thanks man!

SamDaMan719 said:

I wish there was a way to make it so you have to kill every type of monster in that room

There is, provided you are prepared to restrict your user base to Zdoom based ports and you code the action in ACS.

We go through this entire process every time somebody new has questions because most of the early DOOM editing FAQs are either lost or completely out of date, and many of the new tools are poorly documented, or completely undocumented altogether. :)