Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

How "ghetto" are you?

Have you ever done any of the following?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever done any of the following?

• Picked discarded furniture off the street.
    • Used crates or cardboard boxes as makeshift furniture.
    • Picked up and repaired discarded appliances.
    • Stole road signs/road construction equipment.
    • Picked up abandoned bicycles/bicycle parts.
    • Picked up old promotional stands from malls to use in your home.
    • Picked up abandoned CDs/cassettes/floppies to see what\'s in them.
    • Other (not listed here, but ghetto nonetheless).

I found myself having done most, if not all of the above in the years ranging from high school, to student, to reserve officer. Sometimes it was just a need for a quick fix/temporary solution, sometimes it was just a sense of "why leave this good stuff here?" and sometimes just scavenging instinct or just goliardy (like when I lived in a coed apartment with our living room decorated with beer coasters and stolen construction equipment like "men at work" signs and flashing lanterns).

The bit about "promotional stands" refers to a period where I was living in a student apartment near a mall, and there was plenty of cool stuff to pick from their junk, including scrolling LED signs, and those stands where they usually place leaflets or other take-away free stuff for promotions and shit. These usually made terrific shoe-holders or even TV-pedestals, depending on their shape/material.

The only time I (and my housemates) regretted picking furniture off the street, was when we picked up a couple of discarded armchairs near an immigrants-only condo...they turned out to be flea-infested -_-

Wow, I have actually done all of those options, except the mall stand thing. I never thought I would be "ghetto" haha. I've picked up a few couches off the streets, and me and my friends put a stop sign in one of our friend's backyard.

Most of my reasoning is because me and my friends were just going around places far from sober and we ended up finding somewhat useful things.

I love free street furniture. A while back, I had this awesome green couch that I kept in my bedroom, which was actually pretty sweet. It was absolutely hideous, but it was comfy and free. Sadly though, I had to get rid of it when I moved.

Yup. Most of the above.
I too used to have a hideous street couch. It was quite comfortable, and I ended up sleeping on it more than once.

Only moderately ghetto. I've taken tables from the street because we needed tables, my bike is sort of stolen from my sister because she wasn't using it, and investigating randomly abandoned DVDs has rewarded me with some of what may actually be a Chinese soap opera.

When I saw the thread title, I thought "ghetto" meant "gangsta". I was all set to slap some ho's and bust a cap in all yo' asses, too. :(

*ahem* -- half my CD/DVD collection are other peoples' who let me borrow them and later forgot about it, so that's one-ish.

While at university, I found a computer abandoned outside my halls with "BUGGERED" written on the case. I took it indoors, found the BIOS settings were wrong and it worked fine. I later used it as a server.

I stole a Burger King Drive-Thru sign once with my friends which was fun as hell. We then all signed it and gave it to another friend for his birthday and he thought the whole thing was hilarious. I recall a few times where I picked up abandoned bicycles and parts to see if I could do anything with them. Most of the time ended up throwing them back out but there was once or twice where I was able to use it for something.

Also have taken one or two pieces of furnitre that someone either threw outside or left in a trash chute. Honestly, people throw out some good stuff, it makes you wonder O_o

I don't do most of this stuff but I have a feeling i'll resort to it when I move into my first house.

Meh. Just made fun of Ebonics until it got old.
I'm sure there's SOMETHING "Ghetto" I have done, but it's not listed here.

I got my ride pimped. They heard I liked driving so they put a truck in my truck so I could drive while I drive.

Butts said:

Wow, I have actually done all of those options, except the mall stand thing. I never thought I would be "ghetto" haha. I've picked up a few couches off the streets, and me and my friends put a stop sign in one of our friend's backyard.

Most of my reasoning is because me and my friends were just going around places far from sober and we ended up finding somewhat useful things.

^ This. Especially the drunk part.

I'm about 25% ghetto. Apart from repairing/recycling appliances I've picked up some interesting books, my favourite is an auto-electrical service manual from the 30's with wiring schematics for dozens of vintage car models.

I'm fairly ghetto. If anyone ever told you there was no such thing as a free lunch, they were very, very wrong.

Xaser said:

When I saw the thread title, I thought "ghetto" meant "gangsta". I was all set to slap some ho's and bust a cap in all yo' asses, too. :(

Then I'd have stated 'How nigga are you?' ;-)

David_Dweedle said:

I like Women with Big Booty.

Does that make me Ghetto?

Dat makes you nigga, dawg.

*Picked discarded furniture off the street

I've never taken furiture for personal use, but I've helped friends drag couches to their places, where I'd often hang out, anyway.

*Picked up and repaired discarded appliances.

Sort of. I sometimes find scrap computer parts behind electronics stores and use/sell them.

*Stole road signs/road construction equipment.

Found a speed limit sign that someone ran over, once. Drukenly carried it back to a friend's house. Fell over like ten times, and dropped it on my leg a couple times. 'Left a pretty big bruise.

Picture of us with it here

*Picked up abandoned CDs/cassettes/floppies to see what's in them.

I used to steal people's burnt CD's back during high school. Partly because I was anti-piracy, partly because I was curious if anyone in my school had good taste in music (no one passed).

David_Dweedle said:

I like Women with Big Booty.

Does that make me Ghetto?

Not unless you call it a badonkadonk

Have picked up stuff from the curb a few times, I once picked up a discarded air conditioner which said it worked but after lugging it inside and testing it, it didn't..so I chucked it.

Does it count being somewhat ghetto if my dad is keeping at least a dozen UAC rocket box sized crates in the shed full of rusting, obsolete car parts in the shed? Besides that, he's keeping a lot of useless shit in the shed and in the garage which is loaded with stuff not used anymore and are either broken, missing something or just unused.

fraggle said:

While at university, I found a computer abandoned outside my halls with "BUGGERED" written on the case. I took it indoors, found the BIOS settings were wrong and it worked fine. I later used it as a server.

Fool, buggered means someone had sex with it.

75% ghetto here. Although I could add perhaps 5-10 more arguably "ghetto" things to that list. I sort of live in the ghetto, so that sort of stuff comes naturally to me.

Georgef551 said:

Meh. Just made fun of Ebonics until it got old.

I read that, and the first thing that popped into my head was "Hooked on Ebonics".

I will always have a soft spot for milk crates, however my collection has been reduced to one as I've grown up and moved around into tiny apartments. I have a spare dashboard for my car in it at the moment.

My best traffic cone must have been out on its' first night of service when I got it, it still had the powder from manufacturing on it. The electricity guy whose site I took it from was like "Hey... hey you...", then I crossed the road and heard him go "Ah, fuckit" and go back to work.

My PC right now is a $0 "if you can fix it you can have it" special. Though it is in a $220 case with a $195 videocard.

Good times.