Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Claustrophobia 1024 -- Fixed version released!

We have a release date? One that won't be plagued by events unforeseeable? Excellent.

Indeed! :D

@Butts: I found your changes made the map slightly less...shitty? Well I don't know if that's the word I would have used to describe it, but yea :P. I did make some changes to your map after you submitted it though...which you can view in the changelog. It was mostly stuff related to the secret though.

@Mechadon

I noticed the fixes in the changelog ... great.

The only bug I am now familiar with is the inability for non zdoom type ports to get credit for the secret in map 21 at sector 451. A simple fix for this for all ( zdoom and boom ) ports to get the secret would be to ...

1. Remove sector effect 9 from sector 451.

then

2. Change the sector effect at sector 452 from 8 to 136.

Now sector 452 instead of 451 is the secret and sector 452 still glows.

Is there any intention on fixing this ?

I believe Dreadopp has already fixed this with the new version he sent me ;). It seems I forgot to mention this in the changelog, so I'll add it now.

- The Imp's have yellow teeth! Ayieee! Well, deleting the existing COLORMAP fixes the problem. The fancy cool blue Invulnerability sphere translation is gone, but it's no big deal.

If you're going to have any palette changes besides Simplicity's blues, please please please make those (somehow) optional. It would be annoying to suddenly have the maps look (even slightly) different because of a different palette than what they were when submitted. :(

Just delete the PLAYPAL lump? Well actually the new palette is pretty much the same as it has been since the project started (with new greens and blues). I did add a new yellow range (thanks to Jimmy91) and tweaked some other things, but it's nothing extreme and it's not enough to notice any major change. The blues and greens are pretty much the biggest change and they have been kept pretty much the same since the beginning of the project, more or less. You can see the palette in the latest version of the texture resource actually; just delete the COLORMAP and you should be good to go. XWE doesn't seem to be very proficient at converting the COLORMAP based off the palette...either that or Inkworks did something weird. The COLORMAP seemed like it faded to black too soon and it turned anything that used palette entry 004 into a orangy-yellow color (thus the yellow teethed Imps).

[EDIT]

Oh wait, I actually did more to the PLAYPAL (I should've logged all the changes). I was experimenting quite a bit with the orange range, just to see what I could come up with. The new orange range is in the current PLAYPAL. From what I can tell, the orange ranges doesn't really affect any of the textures (save for maybe one or two of them)...most of the visible orange changes are with the sprites and graphics. Also I tweaked the blue range (it felt kinda weird ripping off all these different color ranges from other projects, so I made my own range). It's a lighter range and probably looks fairly different than the Simplicity blues. I can easily switch back to the original blue/green palette from before if the current palette causes any major distress ;)

Okay, I tried a few maps with the new texture wad with the COLORMAP removed, and frankly, I hate it. The sky in Skyscrape looks butt ugly (at least in that map), and the blue floor carpets are ewwwww. Also the new yellows are IMHO way too saturated; lit arch-viles, for example, are just horrible.

Please, change it back. :((

Sure, I'm pretty sure I can do it without any problems ;). If this were a few months ago, I'd be hating myself right about now (XWE you make me cry). But switching out the palette seems to be pretty simple if you aren't loading in a bunch of graphics after it. Heh, I should save my experimenting for other things :P

I will probably keep the blood damage range though (and maybe the pickup palette change). Any complaints with those?

Mechadon said:

Heh, I should save my experimenting for other things :P

Or for the beginning of the project, not for last minute changes. :P The new blues could have been fine if they had been there since the beginning so everyone could have textured with the new colors, but changing them at this point is just mean. :(

As long as the blood and item palette changes are based on the old normal palette, I guess it won't matter as much.

I wonder if there gonna start a new 1024 project up. I haven't been able to do a 1024 map for any of the projects and I'd like to. :P

@Jodwin: Well no harm done, I think I've got the old color palette integrated and working, for the most part. Just gotta clean up some of the textures and we should be good to go. :D

@Torn: I know Jodwin is looking for a few more maps for the secondary 1024 project he's heading up ;) Here's the link to the project thread: http://www.akinomori.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=548

[EDIT]

Palette revert was a success! I'll go ahead and get a fixed texture resource up in a few minutes.

[EDIT2]

Here it be: http://mekworx.phenomer.net/mekastuff/wads/1024/1024TX_V10.zip

I skimmed over it fairly quickly but I didn't notice any problems. In-game it everything looks ok too. I had to make a manual fix though, so just let me know if you run into any issues.

There are still some wrong colors in the normal palette: Indexes 168-174 (light red to bright red) and indexes 251-254 (magenta) are still the same as in v9.

If you changed some other colors around I guess there might be some others that are wrong, but those are the ones I could notice with a bare eye. :P

Both of those are intentional changes. I logged the changes I made in the changelog this time, but those were the only two other changes (aside from keeping the pickup/blood palette changes...oh and the green range fix too). Thanks for taking the time to look over it though, I appreciate it :D

Mechadon said:

@Torn: I know Jodwin is looking for a few more maps for the secondary 1024 project he's heading up ;) Here's the link to the project thread: http://www.akinomori.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=548

I have seen that page before, but it looks like it is pretty full. I don't know about that through. I guess a new 1024 project will start up after this one as I am also quote busy with Trauma at the moment and exams.

Also by the note in the first post I don't think it is a good idea to put dates on doom projects. :P

Torn said:

Also by the note in the first post I don't think it is a good idea to put dates on doom projects. :P

So I've heard people say, but I think it depends on who is running the project. I have to have some sort of schedule on paper, otherwise I have a hard time not procrastinating :P. I'm sure other people prefer not to have deadlines and just let the project progress more freely, which is perfectly fine too. The release date is probably more like a deadline for the testers to make sure all of the maps are playable and bug free as possible. Everything needs to be good by that date so it can be released then...or that's how I see it anyways.

BTW, the changelog has been updated yet again.

Ahhh ! My fix for the secret at map 21 had an unwanted side effect. It gave the secret twice ! That will teach me to check my changes first.

To positively fix do this ...

Change the line action at line 3024 from 159 to 26794. THIS time I checked it in gzdoom, Eternity, Risen3D and prboom+ and all was well.

BTW I'm guessing that the demo for this level desyncs is because the demo was made before the changes to this level were done.

hawkwind said:

BTW I'm guessing that the demo for this level desyncs is because the demo was made before the changes to this level were done.

Yea, he recorded the demo before I integrated those fixes into the main wad. I assume that's what made it desync. Anywho, I'll make that secret fix on MAP21, no worries!

Not a problem Dreadopp. Changelog has been updated. Jimmy91 is gonna try and get the last bits of music done this weekend (YAY!) so that will pretty much cover all of the leftover missing content. As it stands now, the .wad is pretty much release worthy, I think. I'll release one last test build a couple of days before the release for last minute checking. As long as that goes smoothly then we should be GO for the release :D

Found a couple of typos ...

The external BEX and internal DEHACKED for map 29 spell incorrectly as Mangum Opus instead of Magnum Opus and the readme file under Graphics spells esselfortium as esselfortim.

I am pleased with release date: 17th June is my name's day in CR. Thanks! :-D

I've fixed those typos hawkwind, thanks for pointing them out. Right now Wartorn (the guy who gave me my webspace) is having some difficulties with the billing department. So until those are resolved, the account will be suspended and no one will be able to view the changelog and/or download the TX wad or Build 4. I haven't done anything else since I fixed those typos though, so if I made another major change I'll post the changelog at pastbin or something. And if someone needs to download Build 4, let me know and I'll put up a temporary mirror.

@Gusta: Neat! Well I'm glad I could unknowingly accommodate you :D

I'm actually fairly excited about this. It's been a whole year, I think, and it's finally gonna come out!

Has anyone had any problems with MAP32?

The weather lady on TV just said that the midsummer is going to be shit this year. But I don't need to care because I'll be inside playing this instead.

YOU BETTER NOT PULL THE RELEASE DATE ANY FURTHER LULZ.

MEK CHECK YOUR GODS-DAMN PMs.

(No, you haven't missed it, I've only just sent it. :P)

I got it just now Jimmy. You are beyond awesome.

Hey, guess what? I don't think I'll be delaying the release date again! Hooray :D. So just two more days. I'm so excited I'm gonna asplode.

My webspace is back up (thanks Warton!) so I'll have the changelog and the final Build up later today. I also made a silly blog post a few days ago (though it was unavailable because...well, you know). I'll be taking a slew of screenshots sometime soon for the release.

Ok, here is what should be the final test build:

- Claustrophobia 1024 - Build 5 - 7.6M
--- Changelog

The password is required, as usual. Check the changelog for the [rather short] list of changes made from Build 4. I cannot stress this enough: this is the last test build and is the absolute closest thing to the actual, public release. Make sure there aren't any major bugs left and that everything is in order. Fixing bugs and stuff after the fact sucks :(.