Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #345

To DarkDave: While the reviews were generally bad, please remeber that we call it as it is. my first maps sucked ass too. practice more and make more maps, you'll be a master.

BlackFish said:

O_O

Well, that was... special. It's quite possibly the best "I can act like a mutant because I'm a bit mental but you've got to treat me nice because I say so" rant I have read and I've seen too many for one lifetime already.

And FWiW DarkDave, I can't say that I had really noticed you much around the forums at all and I had certainly formed no real opinion of you - good or bad. I have now though.

Mr. Chris said:

I'll only do it if

Don't get a /nsC thread helled, kthxbi.

I think I'll withdraw from the thought of posting them here. PMs however, feel free to ask.

You see, it's wads like this why it is a great insult to call a good map "average."

Mr. Chris: As yet there have been no unprovoked attacks against this DarkDave fellow. However, posting his private correspondence for all to see could fairly be considered as one. I'd say don't post it.

All this business with
DarkDave. Is reminding
me of someone else who
used to browse this
forum. This seems like
the kind of ranting to
expect from somone who
is clearly an attention
getter.

I nominate this every wad in the thread for a Cacoward.

"this should just be a speedrun level and nothing else. so, you don´t need much ammo. ok? and at the begining 700-800 monsters are killing each other, in 30 seconds or so. then there is enough room for the player to run by and go to the next room. this was my thought behind that all. everything just tactic. so, switch on your brain, if you have one, you retarded jerks. djd"

"i don´t know what you fucking jerks have, but please die and go to hell. this is a good map, you just must play with tactic in some areas. it´s not my fault, when you fucking punks, are too stupid to play with brain and tactic. the outside area with the 3 masterminds is easy. open the door, shoot and then hide in the room, where you start. all monsters are waking up, and then the masterminds start fighting with the other enemies. then normally 2 of 3 of them are dead without shooting them once by yourself."

"this level is really hard but it´s possible. just for pro players. and you´re all noobs, right? and i said, that this one just works right on zdoom and no other port. read the description asshole. on zdoom, there is absolutely no error. blind jerks! djd"

"i don´t know, how far everyone from you, have come in that level, but it doesn´t matter at all. you´re all so fucking jerks, that is really unbelievable. this map is so sensationell and you say it´s boring? can you make a better one, you fucking kid? ha? no, you´re all just hating, because you´re all to weak, to manage it. the design of this map is really good. you´re all so friendly, so i´m friendly back. cunts! fuck u all, little noobs. djd"

The rage is strong in this one.

FourOhFour said:

Haha, damn son, this /newstuff makes up for its terrible map selection by having the best drama ever. +1

I was just thinking the same thing.

I don't blame Dave for being angry. Some voters are just douchebags. I've only played Hall of Destruction and I really liked the design. I liked the gameplay until the blue door when I couldn't find enough health to do anything, but maybe I just suck. I get the feeling Dave's maps are designed for lots of saves?

Creaphis said:

Mr. Chris: As yet there have been no unprovoked attacks against this DarkDave fellow. However, posting his private correspondence for all to see could fairly be considered as one. I'd say don't post it.

I won't. Nuked my PMs too.

I didn't play his maps but did glimpse at them in XWE, being a bit amateur in design.

TimeOfDeath said:

I don't blame Dave for being angry. Some voters are just douchebags. I've only played Hall of Destruction and I really liked the design. I liked the gameplay until the blue door when I couldn't find enough health to do anything, but maybe I just suck. I get the feeling Dave's maps are designed for lots of saves?

That doesn't make it okay for him to post angry retorts on every map and then make an insanely long ranting thread about the same thing. The fact is that, if he's going to post things where they can be publicly commented on, he should be ready to handle criticism, both constructive and douche-ey. The best thing would have been for him to read the helpful comments and ignore the stupid ones (and I agree that there were quite a few stupid ones.) Starting bitch threads never solves anything and if anything probably gives people more reason to unfairly downvote his maps.

TimeOfDeath said:
I get the feeling Dave's maps are designed for lots of saves?

Well, that's not good. Besides, if you, of all people, suck at DOOM, I don't want to hear what can be said about me :p

I've tried one of Dark Daves maps, Insane Trip 2, and it didn't look all that bad in layout and what not.

But trying to play it was pointless because of the ridiculous difficulty. Noclipping around the map I came to a corridor with a couple of dozen Arch Viles in it that are all alerted when you fire a shot.

TimeOfDeath said:

Like the map or not, it is each person. However, most of people reviewed this is a bad map, so this is a bad map in general. Dave have to admit it and think the causes even if he thinks good map, but he argued against reviewers, made a fool of them, and continued to insist that "this is a good map, and I didn't fail". The attitude is not good.
At least, people reviews honestly. If they said flattery, it wouldn't be for him. And I believe that Doomworld users are kind. If he asks the cause and the solution modestly, we would answer or advise them politely, wouldn't we? Actually on wads and mods forum, beginner mappers introduce maps and ask for helps, and some people reply them politely. Dave, he might not do it.

IMO, "Close Fear" is playable enough. It is easy for me. I could finish it without saving, but getting 100 kills is boring. I can't at all accept Insane trip 1, 2, and Eye of the storm. It's because they depend on much luck on regular play not speed run. Yes, like TimeOfDeath said, lot of saves are necessary.

What Dave Said:

Whaaaaaaa, nobody loves me, you guys suck.

What Dave Should have said:

These reviews clearly show that my mapping could improve, what can I take away from this and how do I make a better map that people will like.

If his attitude towards the reviews were less bitchy and more thought out, he may have found himself among the greats of Doom mapping. Given his attitude, I dont think he'll be back soon. My first maps got worse reviews than this.

The DarkDave maps weren't so bad but they failed horribly on gameplay, some of the map designs were interesting and maybe an little bit impressive in some areas.

Haven't been on here in a long while. But DarkDave made it humorous and worthwhile, even if this newstuff wasn't amazing. Also, I miss making Doom maps. :O

Unyx said:

Yes, maybe the sawed-off (SSG replacement) is weaker but it has the second firing mode which is similar to Doom2 SSG firing, I hope you discovered it. And you can find more powerfull things than sawed-off, in first level there is rocket lauchner hidden in secret, in second level you can find plasma rifle. I know that i made it difficult but its not impossible to beat that wad( I tested it).

It's not impossible but it is extremely frustrating even on ITYTD. The minigun guys are complete bullshit. If you're gonna have an enemy that overpowered, you really shouldn't place it quite as often as you did and give the player more warning when he shows up. Make him let out a distinct roar when he shows up and have him make foot step sounds when he moves. The reviewer is wrong about one thing related to that enemy. It does have alert and grunt sounds. The thing is that it's way too quiet. When it sees you it just makes a quiet moaning noise, and it also makes an almost mute breathing noise when nearby.

Enemy placement in general could have been a lot better. there were a lot of melee only enemies in places where they couldn't even reach me. The only purpose I really even saw for these guys was to clog the hallway and waste ammo.

Oh and was the map supposed to be completely random in terms of theme? You've got weird brick mazes, tech bases filled with nazis, caves, and crosses between caves and brick buildings. What the hell is this supposed to be?

dutch devil said:

The DarkDave maps weren't so bad but they failed horribly on gameplay, some of the map designs were interesting and maybe an little bit impressive in some areas.

That's pretty much my impression as well, especially after spending nearly 4 1/2 hours wandering around "Eye of the Storm" - I became a little obsessive about trying to track down and kill every spectre in the giant maze. The lack of difficulty settings - in any of the wads - was a turn-off for me, as were the long meandering passageways in some maps and having to speedrun - which I don't do well - at many points. If Dave had put more though into balancing the gameplay - for those of us with less than godlike skills - his maps would probably have received better reviews.

It took me 10 tries (at least) to get past the Cyberdemons on Insane Trip 2. I was excited until I realized it was a dead end. Apparently I'm not pro. I guess being pro is synonymous with being lucky. Some of these could of been 'meh' maps. But I guess that's like saying "You would be good if you didn't suck."

hobomaster22 said:

Haven't been on here in a long while. But DarkDave made it humorous and worthwhile, even if this newstuff wasn't amazing. Also, I miss making Doom maps. :O

zomg it's hobomaster, where did you dissapear to :P

GreyGhost said:

That's pretty much my impression as well, especially after spending nearly 4 1/2 hours wandering around "Eye of the Storm" - I became a little obsessive about trying to track down and kill every spectre in the giant maze. The lack of difficulty settings - in any of the wads - was a turn-off for me, as were the long meandering passageways in some maps and having to speedrun - which I don't do well - at many points. If Dave had put more though into balancing the gameplay - for those of us with less than godlike skills - his maps would probably have received better reviews.

Darkdave does not have godlike skills, there is a 99.9999% chance he tested all his maps in God mode and just assumed they were playable without it.

If anything .. he has godmode skills. :P

Craigs said:

Oh and was the map supposed to be completely random in terms of theme? You've got weird brick mazes, tech bases filled with nazis, caves, and crosses between caves and brick buildings. What the hell is this supposed to be?

I forgot to mention the random nazi room, mostly because I was too distracted with how annoying it all was.

God, newstuff's been really getting full of more and more shit, and that's the biggest lump I've ever seen.

As for that angry author, I'd say, a creator firstly creates for himself. A good creator doesn't give a crap about others' opinions on that. A good creator knows the value of his work, and hell with others. Besides, a review is always something subjective. Actually, I think that it should be objective and just, but it turns out that it never is. It's pointless to blame reviewers anyway.

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

As for that angry author, I'd say, a creator firstly creates for himself. A good creator doesn't give a crap about others' opinions on that. A good creator knows the value of his work, and hell with others. Besides, a review is always something subjective. Actually, I think that it should be objective and just, but it turns out that it never is. It's pointless to blame reviewers anyway.

Amen!

But there's also a "gift" aspect to artistic creations that are released to the public. Should we look a gift horse in the mouth? Perhaps not. But, if we do, and the horse spits venom into our eyes, the creator should not argue that this is a feature.