Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Claustrophobia 1024 -- Fixed version released!

Yea I'm so glad it's finally done. I keep waiting for someone to make a post about some super game-crippling bug or similar for some reason :P. I've been going non-stop the past week and I could really use a break. Oh and some sleep....man that sounds good right about now. Guess I should atleast go and submit a news item first, heh.

Hope you guys enjoy playing it as much as I enjoyed working on it :D

[EDIT]

Welp, news item has been submitted. Hopefully I wrote it out well enough. I'm gonna go ahead and throw this into /incoming :)

Have it downloaded and will play it soon. I liked Congestion 1024 really, so i hope i will like that too.

From what I've played so far this isn't that bad at all! Unlike many boom megawad community projects (some levels of CC3 come to mind), the gameplay isn't overly tedious. What I've played so far is actually really fun.

The only issue I ran into is while playing at 1280X1024 with Zdoom's default fullscreen HUD, I couldn't read the new font, so I just swapped it out with the classic doom one.

Great stuff! I'm enjoying this mapset so far. I did run into some major HOM in MAP17. It's right when you lower a switch and a bunch of chaingunner guys pop up.

I know, it's showing a bunch of stuff from my own weapons mod, but just ignore it.

Heh, awesome to see this finally released.

Also, @ Lizard Commando:

Oooh shit. That's a bit major there.

Had a quick play through this, it's awesome !
Really worth the wait, and a good sequel to Congestion 1024.
Maps are fun and beautiful. Some are a bit lacking but overall the megawad is of very good quality.

I've written a little thread for this wad on our french forums, since I liked it that much.

Congrats to Mechadon and the team ;)

I`ve played first 6 maps so far from pistol start with recording first demo attempts and can say that i enjoy it.
Difficulty is just fine, and maps are really beautiful. Thanks to all people who worked on this .wad, you`ve done well.

The only question concerning this project that we have left is:

Will D-D come back just to get a chance to play this? :O

Nice to see it is released, I've played through the first six maps on wimpy mode so far. Map07 sure looks impressive, I still have to finish that one, map05 is impressive as well.

I have a dream that one day I'll be able to play a new doom wad without it changing the font and hud. That day has yet to come, however.

Lizardcommando said:

Great stuff! I'm enjoying this mapset so far. I did run into some major HOM in MAP17. It's right when you lower a switch and a bunch of chaingunner guys pop up.

Oh wow, that is a bad bug. But I can't seem to reproduce it (I tested it in WinMBF really quick). Does it happen regularly or is it more of a random thing? Looks like part of that floor didn't lower like it was supposed to.

@Grilox: Was there something wrong with the graphic replacements? I tried to make sure that the font was legible and and everything else was just good enough that it wouldn't make your eyes melt. Sorry if you don't like those replacements, but it would be simple enough to go into the .wad and remove them if you wanted :)

Thanks so much for all the postitive feedback guys! It really makes all that hard work feel like it was worth it. I uploaded a speedyshare mirror since someone was having trouble connecting to phenomer.net. You can get it here. I'll also throw this on the first post. I also already uploaded it to /incoming, so it will be archived in /idgames sometime in the near future.

Oh no, there's nothing wrong with 'em, except that there is no reason to have em in in the first place.

And I like the normal doom font and hud too much to let to go :(

Mechadon said:

Oh wow, that is a bad bug. But I can't seem to reproduce it (I tested it in WinMBF really quick). Does it happen regularly or is it more of a random thing? Looks like part of that floor didn't lower like it was supposed to.

It happens regularly when I play it in ZDoom.

OK, I just played through that map again. I somehow keep avoiding running over a floor switch or something. I think I keep running along the side of the wall which makes it really easy to avoid that floor switch.

What's happening is each part of that passageway is linked to a dummy sector which allows them all to lower to the floor... except for sector 265. In previous betas, the wide part of that passageway was one sector, which was later split so the wiring on the floor could curve south and look better. Whoever split that section of the passageway to do this evidently failed to make sure that the newly-created section of it was linked to the dummy sector. In addition, part of sector 2, which was retextured with "vertical" flats, also exists in the horizontal section of the passage, ruining the intended effect. (It can be easily solved by using DB2's Make Sector function on that part of sector 2.) Incidentally, sector 2 has tag 33, which is not used by any linedef in the level.

Also, on MAP12, linedef 546 somehow became impassible between the fifth beta and the final release, causing the player to be temporarily trapped after teleporting onto the red key until they try to run forward for a few seconds.

Ah, so that's what's going on in MAP17. I can't remember if I did that or not, but I can certainly fix it. I'm pretty sure the MAP12 thing is completely my fault, though I have no idea how that happened :P. I can get a fixed version up in a few minutes, though I think I'll play through a few of the other maps I tweaked to make sure everything is good.

[EDIT] Ok, I think I've got those two things fixed! I checked a couple other things and I think everything should be fairly solid now. I'll be replacing the file very shortly. Thanks for the helps TGH and Lizardcommando!

Played all the maps, quick summary from me:
Nocturnal Abyss was probably the most "wow" map for me...even though it had some disappointing moments towards the end. :(
Twice I ran out of ammo: In Technicfear and in Transfer base thanks to the ton of new monsters with little to no new ammo (good thing you could abuse infighting in the last fight!)
The difficulty progression felt funky, I found quite a few of the earlier maps harder than some of the later maps. Of course, that might have got to do with all the hitscanners and stuff. Especially Warp facility being map01 with its ton of sarges jumping on you without warning felt funny. Overall, I wouldn't say there were any particularly easy maps (except map03 if you don't have problems with tysoning).

Trying to play this with PrBoom+ and it's throwing up an error:

W_Init: Init WADfiles.
adding /usr/share/doom/doom2.wad
adding /usr/local/share/games/doom/prboom-plus.wad
adding 1024CLAU.wad
I_Read: read failed: EOF

Is this related to PrBoom+ or the WAD?

This wad is fucking awesome... and kinda frustrating! (Damn those warping hitscanners)

Some really good and challening maps in this pack... and alot of the music is excellent too, especially the music that is used Map05. I really liked Map15, that Inmost Dens style map. Some of the maps were very cramped. Its kinda funny because I actually designed my two maps so that they would not be so cramped.

Most of the music is good, as I said the music in Map05 was brilliant, great stuff Jimmy91. The piano song in map16 was different too. Some of the rock songs were great but others were average. Good to hear lots of original music in here.

This was a great set of maps. In fact, they were so damn good in some regards, I couldn't find any maps that I would label as poor, but rather, less awesome than the other maps. It was as if instead of being able to rate the maps as 'crap' or 'awesome', it was simply 'awesome', and 'slightly less awesome'. :D

Some of them were a little too easy for my tastes, though there were thankfully a handful of tougher ones to keep me entertained. :)

Loved some of the music, too. Map05, which was mentioned, was great. I got a bit of a Descent vibe from it. I also liked the intermission/Map 33 music a great deal too.

I'm gonna have to get in on the mapping side the next time there's something like this around here. Looked like I missed out on a lot of fun! (Assuming I can ever finish my own damn maps...)