Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Ghostbusters Game

I can't help but they the oddest feeling that this idea isn't as original as it's made up to be. To be honest, I feel almost certain that some game developer was scanning the web, and came across doomworld's hosted site: Ghostbusters Doom.

Seeing as though Ghostbusters Doom is one of doomworld's few hosted sites, and seeing as though it has been in development forever, I would not be surprised in the least bit if someone from Zootfly spotted this mod and decided to make it a standalone game. It bothers me now that they feel they are hitting the spot for nostalgic gamers when I doubt they brainstormed this idea all their own.

I mean, if you look up ghostbusters on Google, the 7th image to come up is a screenshot of Ghostbusters doom.

I honestly haven't done a ton of research on the background of this company to see where they really got the idea to do this, but does my hypothesis have any merit to it?

JohnnyRancid said:

I can't help but they the oddest feeling that this idea isn't as original as it's made up to be. To be honest, I feel almost certain that some game developer was scanning the web, and came across doomworld's hosted site: Ghostbusters Doom.

Seeing as though Ghostbusters Doom is one of doomworld's few hosted sites, and seeing as though it has been in development forever, I would not be surprised in the least bit if someone from Terminal Reality spotted this mod and decided to make it a standalone game. It bothers me now that they feel they are hitting the spot for nostalgic gamers when I doubt they brainstormed this idea all their own.

I mean, if you look up ghostbusters on Google, the 7th image to come up is a screenshot of Ghostbusters doom.

I honestly haven't done a ton of research on the background of this company to see where they really got the idea to do this, but does my hypothesis have any merit to it?

It's a game based off a movie. I wasn't aware that that was something new. Though I gotta admit, this one is actually good compared to most of them.

I highly doubt the idea was stolen from Ghostbusters Doom, much like I doubt Alien vs. Predator was stolen from Aliens Doom. It's a popular and nostalgic series of movies, and making games from movies is a popular cash in for companies. I'm going to rent it to see how it is, I enjoy Ghostbusters, it was a part of my childhood, and I would hate for the NES Ghostbusters to be the last memory I have of a game made from it. From the reviews I've read it's a great game if you like Ghostbusters, and it's still a pretty decent game even if you haven't seen the movies, which is pretty good for a movie to video game production.

Come to think of it. The Ghost Busters Game was surprisingly similar to Ghost Busters Doom. They both had the ghost busters in them, and in both of them, the ghost busters used their proton packs. My memory's a little foggy but I think that they both had the Stay Puff Marshmallow man too... There are just too many similarities for this to be a coincidence. Scuba Steve should sue the guys who made the Ghost Busters game.

Craigs said:

Come to think of it. The Ghost Busters Game was surprisingly similar to Ghost Busters Doom. They both had the ghost busters in them, and in both of them, the ghost busters used their proton packs. My memory's a little foggy but I think that they both had the Stay Puff Marshmallow man too... There are just too many similarities for this to be a coincidence. Scuba Steve should sue the guys who made the Ghost Busters game.

How the fuck else does one make a faithful Ghostbusters game, anyway?! :P

A tactics game?

Well, I've played the Wii version of the game, and I must say, I'm a bit disappointed. I know, I know, it's the Wii, I should expect that, but the things I'm disappointed with aren't really hardware issues. First off, though, I will say there are a couple of good things. The actual gameplay of blasting and catching ghosts is quite enjoyable, I like the different weapons, and the art style really works.

That said, here are the major flaws which ruined it for me. First off, it's pretty clear that some dialog and scenes were cut, which leaves the game feeling pretty disjointed at times. Right off the bat, with the opening scene, for instance, they don't bother actually showing the blue shockwave spreading through New York, and so if you hadn't seen the opening scene in the other versions, you're just gonna be confused as hell about what happened. Another notable problem is when they talk about calling off the city evacuation when no one had ever mentioned that the city was being evacuated in the first place. Also, missions seem incredibly disjointed, like the library mission, where no real motive is given other than that it'd be fun to catch the original library ghost, despite there being more pressing matters like the museum.

Another gripe is certain areas they left out. Like the firehouse - I though it'd be fun to explore, but unlike the 360/PS3 version, there are only a couple of rooms - you don't even get to see the containment unit. Huge disappointment. Oh, and you can forget about ever getting to really see the Ecto 1 racing through the streets of New York. Oh, and I can't forget, for some reason your character almost never even appears in cutscenes, and so half the time it's like he suddenly disappears. How are you supposed to feel like a Ghostbuster if you never interact with them? I know he doesn't talk in the other versions, but at least you get reaction shots and whatnot. So basically, it's like they left out classic elements of the Ghostbusters films, even though they're in the other versions, and it's just a big letdown.

Some of the puzzles get tedious at times. Not a huge deal, but it can get pretty lame.

Finally, one of my biggest gripes is the lack of variety of enemies. The bigger enemies are all unique and creative, but it seems like they only have a couple of different stock ghosts for common enemies. Especially atrocious are the generic slimer-type ghosts they use pretty much everywhere. I would've loved to have seen more of the ghosts from the previous films and whatnot, too. It's just... In the other versions, there's a huge lineup of iconic and new enemies, but in the Wii version, it's like they didn't even try, and there's really no excuse.

Eh, sorry for my huge-ass rant, it's just the Wii version to me seemed like a watered-down experience, and that had nothing to do with the hardware, so it's just incredibly frustrating.

Considering that Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd were writers for the game, it seems highly unlikely to me that they'd rip off Ghostbusters Doom.

Danarchy said:

Considering that Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd were writers for the game, it seems highly unlikely to me that they'd rip off Ghostbusters Doom.

Plus Ghostbusters the movie came before Ghostbusters Doom.

geekmarine said:

Eh, sorry for my huge-ass rant, it's just the Wii version to me seemed like a watered-down experience, and that had nothing to do with the hardware, so it's just incredibly frustrating.

That is disappointing to hear. I thought I read somewhere that the Wii version was developed so it would be a different experience from the PS3/360 version. It sucks that it is watered-down.

After reading the Lensoftruth PS3/360 comparison, and the previous comments about the Wii it seems like they cheated everyone but the 360 owners. Even the PC version lacked multiplayer.
http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=10974
I am glad that I chose the 360 for the new console, but I still feel bad for the PS3 and Wii owners who continue to get cheated on multiplatform games. I'm planning on renting it this weekend, so we'll see how it goes. It still looks fun, and it's Ghostbusters, written by the people who made the original and voice acted by the originals. Too bad Rick Moranis isn't in it, it would've been fun to blast him.

You know, looking back on my earlier comments, I do want to clarify something here. It's not that the Wii version was bad or anything, and like I said, if anything, the gameplay itself was solid and the controls work great. Aside from the monotony of some of the puzzles and whatnot, the game itself is thoroughly enjoyable. It's just that it lacks that extra little bit of effort that would really make it stand out as a great Ghostbusters game. Nothing major, just minor things like being able to fully explore the firehouse, being included in cutscenes, having a wider variety of ghosts to battle, etc., that would've added to the feeling that this was truly a Ghostbusters game.

Jello said:

After reading the Lensoftruth PS3/360 comparison, and the previous comments about the Wii it seems like they cheated everyone but the 360 owners. Even the PC version lacked multiplayer.
http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=10974
I am glad that I chose the 360 for the new console, but I still feel bad for the PS3 and Wii owners who continue to get cheated on multiplatform games. I'm planning on renting it this weekend, so we'll see how it goes. It still looks fun, and it's Ghostbusters, written by the people who made the original and voice acted by the originals. Too bad Rick Moranis isn't in it, it would've been fun to blast him.

Heh, I own a PS3 and a Wii. Figures, eh?
But seriously, I've never really felt cheated on the multiplatform games, as they seem to play just fine to me. Then again, I never get the chance to play the 360 versions, so I probably just don't know the difference. I'll probably rent Ghostbusters on my PS3 and play it and enjoy it enough..