Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
pellevin

strife source

sorry if this is common knowledge and i've missed it, but -
has there been any attempt to get the Strife source code?

Strife's pretty much abandonwarez. Velocity dissappeared, Rogue Entertainment dissappeared, even GT Software's gone. I'm not sure if anyone has the Strife source anymore.

I don't think a company holds the right to this game, unless the IDSA did something about it. Anyway you should ask some ex-Rogue guys. I think you should start by mailing American McGee, he's at Carbon (or something like that).

There are two possible ways I can see Strife support in source ports:

1) Reverse Engineering - rather illegal (but I hear if you're Russian you're allowed to reverse engineer software, not sure of this though)

2) Similar to reverse engineering, look at how the program reacts to things and write code for it which performs what the program does originally. Not sure how legal this would be though, as you are essentially rewriting the program to perform what the original executables would while the original executables aren't licensed for free distribution...

2) Similar to reverse engineering, look at how the program reacts to things and write code for it which performs what the program does originally. Not sure how legal this would be though, as you are essentially rewriting the program to perform what the original executables would while the original executables aren't licensed for free distribution...

Perfectly legal, altough incredibly hard to accomplish. It will be years before you iron out every single aspect. Specially in a scripted game like Strife.

i have heard many good things about strife.it is one of the first fps interactive FPS game.it has npc.you can talk to many npc including your enemy.it looks like it had lots of potential .too bad i did't pay attention to it at that time = (

It had some potential, that's true, but then again there was Ultima Underworld 1/2, who literally blow away this game.

I think you should start by mailing American McGee, he's at Carbon (or something like that).

i've been trying to track the names that are given credit
in the game, but to no avail. including that one. any ideas
on how to get his (or any of the others) e-mail? i haven't
had any luck at all.

The real Strife source is believed to have been lost, so even if the company that made it wanted to release it, they wouldn't be able to do so.

As an earlier poster said, emulation of the game would be the best hope for support by a DOOM port.

The real Strife source is believed to have been lost

where did you learn that, Q?

Its common knowledge dude, the Strife source is probably sitting on some dudes computer, but he doesn't remeber because he was stoned when it was put on there.