Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tigertoddy

quake/quake 2 ports?

I want to add high res textures, native windows d3d/opengl support, models etc to quake and quake 2, but have found nothing on the web. Are there any ports to do this to either game? I heard about a TC for quake that updated it on the web, but can't find it?

leileilol said:

Right now there's still no chocolate quake

Tyrquake is close enough for me.

Closest thing there is to Chocolate Quake: http://disenchant.net/engine.html

Doesn't have the 100% purism goal of Chocolate Doom, but it's pretty damn close.

On another note, I haven't found anything of the caliber for Quake 2. Hell, I can't even find a port that will run on Linux x86_64 native, in single-player mode.

Someone mentioned a decent looking Quake 2 port in a similar thread on NewDoom a while back, but I don't feel like looking for it. But they are out there!

I've been playing with Quake2 XP lately, and it seems to work well. Basically it prettifies Quake 2 and it's mission packs.

FitzQuake was always my port of choice for Quake. I don't believe it's being maintained anymore, though.

For Quake 2, I generally use R1Q2. It's pretty vanilla.

Snarboo said:

For Quake 2, I generally use R1Q2. It's pretty vanilla.

It's not anywhere near "vanilla" since it throws away the software renderer.

I care mostly about vanilla flavor with fixes and minor additions to useability and limits for single player on the windows platform just so you'll know to care or not about what I type.

http://www.quaddicted.com/engines/engine_comparison.html

For a slightly tweaked vanilla Quake with higher limits and slightly better performance get the Win/GLQuake Mapper Version. I use WinQuake the software renderer.

Fitzquake was updated a few months ago finally adding increased limits that are not reflected in the comparison link above. However even standard maps require more hardware then I have at my disposal since it is GL only and I have a laptop with on board ati and a netbook).

Tyr-glquake is good but without increased limits and it lacks a few other nice things. JoeQuake was my favorite years ago as it had PrBoom-Plus like demo viewing ease... but it is no longer developed. Qrack is forked from JoeQuake and continues in a more multiplayer oriented capacity. ProQuake I hear is great for vanilla online.

For a slighty tweaked vanilla Quake 2 with widescreen and slightly better effects there is the The Quake 2 Compilation Project that I use with the standard Quake2 (software or GL) renderer in widescreen instead of the custom (GL) renderer that comes with the CP, again, I have limited hardware.

Quake 2XP would be another prettier choice for SP.

Most multiplayer engines seem to brake singleplayer a bit though EGL does both well enough.

For multiplayer only, again, EGL is good as well as R1Q2 and AprQ2.

Since this thread has moved to vanilla talk, I'm curious to know why anyone would prefer OpenGL for Quake/Quake2.

exp(x) said:

I'm curious to know why anyone would prefer OpenGL for Quake/Quake2.

Because it looks better and runs smoother?

I don't like any Quake2 engine. They just add some fancy particle system and never fix the GL bugs that shouldn't even exist these days, because that's not as important as showing off a lame particle system. Bugs like:

- no real gamma control, adjusting texture "intensity" only. This washes out textures and removes color.
- Inconsistent lighting brightness. Lightmap in GL is rendered subtractively drenching the whole levels into colored darkness. Software mode rendered it multiply-like, with overbrights that bring out more lively depth. Oh and the coloring of the models from the light is too saturated also (yellow healthboxes under a deep orange sky?)
- Mono lightmaps are broken, so i'm stuck with oversaturated levels. PowerVR Quake2 looked better than normal (and closer to software) since it alphablended the lightmap, leaving the textures original colors more visible. You can't get this on any other card.
- odd textures resampled down to heck (You don't have to do this for cards from 3 years ago. Darkplaces takes advantage of the feature.)

Because of this, i'm only sticking to Vanilla Quake2 software, though I only wish that had positional sound and less warnings regarding missing or incorrect textures during play.

exp(x) said:

Since this thread has moved to vanilla talk, I'm curious to know why anyone would prefer OpenGL for Quake/Quake2.

I prefer software Quake, that is what I first played and I enjoy the clean sharp look as with Doom. I hate blurry textures and sprites however unlike Doom I can stand the filtered look quite often in Quake for high res play.

I prefer GL for Quake2 because I had the hardware to run it with filtering and better lighting back when it was released and as much as I hate blurry textures I think they are just too ugly and unclean without filtering. But I can use software for the performance at lower res play on weak hardware.

It really depends on the art assets of the game and how the engine handles it. It's less of a problem now with higher res art but Quake3 and Call Of Duty were borderline filtering/unfiltering for me.

leileilol said:

Oh and the coloring of the models from the light is too saturated also (yellow healthboxes under a deep orange sky?)

The software renderer throws away the colors from lightmaps (desaturates them) when they are loaded. So the GL renderer is probably more "correct" showing the colors from the lightmaps. Whether the lightmaps are too colorful says more about the mappers or the lighting tool than the GL renderer.

Nomad said:

Someone mentioned a decent looking Quake 2 port in a similar thread on NewDoom a while back, but I don't feel like looking for it. But they are out there!

That was probably me. Heh.

There isn't much in the way of Quake 2 ports for single player and the ones I found and that were listed on NewDoom have already been mentioned, more or less. I'd imagine that this is the case because the Quake 2 single player community is (mostly) dead. I can't seem to find many single player levels/mods after 2000 - 2001.

There's one not mentioned here for Quake which I'll go ahead and link up:

http://telejano.berlios.de/ Telejano, which is at it's final version 8.01

I'll try to keep my eyes peeled for anything else.