Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Doom Shareware.

What new maps in your opinion are the ones that best emulate the atmosphere and look of the Doom shareware episodes?

E,g look, gameplay and overall feel?

This thread's probably heading for a search-and-lock, but off the top of my head Doom Redemption, Classic Episode, Needs More Detail. CH_Retro, Simply Phobos.

A Google search with idgames site:doomworld.com tacked on the end will find you any of these.

Someone really needs to make a tag cloud for idgames.

You want tag suggestions?

singleplayer, coop, deathmatch, techbase, city, hell, space, castle, gothic, realistic, crap, puzzle, singlemap, episode, megawad, inside, outside, classic, remake, vanilla, limitremoving, boom, legacy, zdoom, gzdoom, eternity, jdoom, vavoom, easy, ultrahard, tc, cacoward, sounds, weapons, textures, flats, sprites, jokewad, commercial, community, hud, music, speedmap, competition, consoledoom, othergame, doom, doomu, doom2, heretic, hexen, strife, professional, demo

I can elaborate on proper definitions of them if you like.

Or if you were remarking there are no tags to make a tag cloud from, then obviously I meant implement a tagging system :P

Someone actually uses tag clouds? I can understand using tag lists, but IMO those clouds are just ugly waste of space ruining layouts.

But the biggest problem with tags (assuming that they would be useful enough to actually implement on idgames) would be assigning them to the wads. The easiest way would be for uploaders to mention them in the txt in a way that they could be parsed, but that would work only on new uploads and you'd have to trust that people wouldn't check every possible tag (or that they'd check any tags). Other than that, you'd need someone tagging a ridiculous amount of uploaded files for a feature that could be mostly replicated with the already existing keyword search. Oh yay.

I agree that a tag cloud should not be forced upon a user in a layout, though they are useful things to have. A simple dedicated search page is a good place for a cloud. An unobtrusive short list is best used in a major layout.

But you're right, datamining is only as good as the data you have, it's probably an unrealistic pipe dream to wish for 15 years of even just the important zips to be tagged.

Beyond assigning "tag moderators", one could also just implement a tag-vote system (something like Slashdot's) so good maps don't get tagged "crap". Of course, without moderation such a thing is still open to social engineering.

neubejiita said:
What new maps in your opinion are the ones that best emulate the atmosphere and look of the Doom shareware episodes?

I'm inclined to say Espi's SiD may have done it best. There are others that imitate the style more closely, but to reminisce about a style in a different moment it's often better to elaborate upon it rather than simply try to recreate it faithfully.