Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Creaphis

MIDI reverb help

Aw man, I wanted to surprise you all with my unexpectedly L33T MIDI skillz, but I guess I have to give away the fact that I'm attempting to compose something in the process of asking a question that the rest of the internet refuses to help me with.

I'm using Fruity Loops 7. I hope one of you is familiar with it. I'm using the "General MIDI" template. When I turn on the global reverb function in the Fruity LSD panel, I get global reverb when playing my stuff within FL, but there is no reverb in any exported MIDI files. That's okay, because I'd rather just apply reverb to specific channels, and some ancient forum thread found via Google search tells me to set one of the customizable controller knobs in channel settings to CC91, and then crank that knob up to max, to get reverb. This gives me reverb neither in FL nor in exported MIDIs.

"Roland GM/GS Sound Set" is my sound set and "Microsoft Synthesizer" is my synthesizer. Can anyone help?

Uhhhhhhh

I don't really know if you can ever get reverb in exported midis playing on arbitrary hardware without duplicating tracks or performing similar tricks. You should be able to get reverb on your rig however if you use software that supports output plugins, better yet if they can be applied selectively to specific MIDI channels, not to the final downmix.

If you need to distribute your work sounding as intended though, you'll have to make do with an MP3 downmix or similar, not with MIDI files.

Indeed true. Reverb appears only as an extension that's usually global. That Microsoft synth is terrible and lacks reverb to boot. Probably the only way to get channel-specific reverb is to use an extended format like GS or XG. Even then you'd need some software or extra hardware to support it and most of the guys on the net will have no such thing.

The upside here is if you can manage to create a MIDI file that sounds good on that Microsoft thing it will probably sound good on just about anything.

Aliotroph? said:

The upside here is if you can manage to create a MIDI file that sounds good on that Microsoft thing it will probably sound good on just about anything.

That's the plan.