Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

Doom 95, Anyone?

I still have my Doom 95 discs somewhere, compared to ZDoom it looks terrible but its home, lol. Anyone else have Doom 95 still? If so I would like to hear your opinions on it now.

Also, I dont think its Vista compatible unless you install certain DLLs? I still have XP, I dont think many people still use that either lol.

As with most people who got Doom via Doom Collector's Edition, I started playing with Doom95. (Well...that's not entirely true. I was inspired to buy Doom when I played the shareware version, and first played vanilla Doom about 12 years ago.) Anyway, after trying ZDoom and later Chocolate Doom (and then getting Vanilla Doom onto my vintage laptop) I find Doom95 to probably be my least favorite source port so far. I don't like how you can't just boot the game from the title screen, at least as far as I can tell, and I hate the way invisibility looks on the engine. I guess it has some decent features, but it has neither the advanced engine features of Boom or ZDoom nor the wholly authentic look and feel of Chocolate Doom to make it worth using.

I have it (from Doom Collector's Edition), but I don't use it. Mainly because I have a Mac. While it may be possible to run it in CrossOver, I wouldn't see the point. Heck, I don't even see the point of it on Windows.

StupidBunny said:

As with most people who got Doom via Doom Collector's Edition, I started playing with Doom95. (Well...that's not entirely true. I was inspired to buy Doom when I played the shareware version, and first played vanilla Doom about 12 years ago.) Anyway, after trying ZDoom and later Chocolate Doom (and then getting Vanilla Doom onto my vintage laptop) I find Doom95 to probably be my least favorite source port so far. I don't like how you can't just boot the game from the title screen, at least as far as I can tell, and I hate the way invisibility looks on the engine. I guess it has some decent features, but it has neither the advanced engine features of Boom or ZDoom nor the wholly authentic look and feel of Chocolate Doom to make it worth using.

I agree, but its what I started playing on so I guess I got used to it. I think ZDoom is my favourite port so far or maybe GZDoom.

I only used Doom95 one time. After that I stopped using it. It ran a little slower and I just didn't like the changes it brought at the time.

Now playing Doom95 brings back memories but damn it was a bad port..

I only used it a couple times before I went looking for source ports. Reason being that it barely worked under XP. The sound was buggy, there was the occasional problem with the palette, and after playing a few levels this weird flickering purple box would appear around the screen.

Doom95 was one of the first ports I ever saw, and I remember being really impressed with the 640x480 graphics.

After that I discovered Legacy.

Both the shimmering partial invisibility and the flashing window are bugs, which didn't appear when Doom95 was run under Windows 98. To solve it, simply say -emulate at the Doom95 command line.

I really like the sound down-pitching of Doom95, but I hate that I can't get the mouse to work.

I adjusted to the keyboard-only controls of Doom95 (I no longer had the floppies with the DOS .exes) before I had learned about the various source ports. It would have been perfect if it allowing turning while circle strafing + firing. Hexen95 however had the mouse code working.

When I was a keyboarder, Doom95 was my weapon of choice. But now that I'm not longer running Win9X and I actually use a mouse now, it just doesn't work for me anymore. :)

Other than the broken mouse support, Doom95 is a great port in my opinion, very true to the original, but with a high resolution mode, a nice launcher, and is more forgiving with errors like visplane overflows.

I alternated between Doom95 and Legacy when running Win98, Doom95's easily the more stable of the two while Legacy has more features and played wads that Doom95 didn't want to know about. The lack of mouse control means I've hardly touched Doom95 since migrating to XP.

DeumReaper said:
Hexen95 however had the mouse code working.

On the other hand, it's unstable and it doesn't let you edit the config.

I have a new favorite, classic doom launcher on XP... you need DOSBox and setup takes a while, but if you want it classic its worth it. Basically, just download the shareware EXE, replace the Doom WAD with your full version one, put it on your C: drive, download DOSBox and type :

mount c c:\DOOMS

(or DOOM2 or DOOM depends on what you have, I have Ultimate.)

then type :

c:\doom

to launch, its the best ; ).

DOSBox also works on vista I think.

You may need to configure you soundcard to "crappy" 8bit level on the Doom setup menu.

StupidBunny said:
I don't like how you can't just boot the game from the title screen, at least as far as I can tell, and I hate the way invisibility looks on the engine.

Doom95 -nodm -emulate

Typing that in the command line will leave you at the title screen without the partial invisibility bug.

@myk: Good to know. :) I'll have to remember that...I usually play Doom by running the exe directly but this method would be useful for running maps that would get a visplane overflow otherwise.

@avery: I use the shareware exe to run Doom also, and it seems to work pretty well overall. (I don't run it on DosBox, I play on my Win95 computer, but it doesn't really matter since it runs about the same either way.) The only thing is that, as far as I can tell, the only way it will play either TNT or Plutonia is to rename the WAD files for those to doom2.wad. Also, sometimes at the menu screen when playing any of the 4 Doom games it'll close out and say something about how there's a version mismatch.

StupidBunny said:

Also, sometimes at the menu screen when playing any of the 4 Doom games it'll close out and say something about how there's a version mismatch.

That's because it tries to play one of the demos. The demos in the wads have a later version identifier in them, and the exe you're using is an earlier version. If you start playing the game before the demos start, you should be right.

All the latest versions should be 1.9, so no demo mismatch should happen. In case your version is outdated, there are update patches available.
Though, another bug in Final Doom is trying to play 4 demos while there are only 3 in the IWAD. Of course, this will only occur if you wait several minutes before you start a game.

Note that Final Doom with a renamed IWAD will run with the exe which comes with Shareware Doom or with Doom II indeed, but you'll get the map names and intermission texts from Doom II and not from TNT or Plutonia then.

StupidBunny said:

@avery: I use the shareware exe to run Doom also, and it seems to work pretty well overall. (I don't run it on DosBox, I play on my Win95 computer, but it doesn't really matter since it runs about the same either way.) The only thing is that, as far as I can tell, the only way it will play either TNT or Plutonia is to rename the WAD files for those to doom2.wad. Also, sometimes at the menu screen when playing any of the 4 Doom games it'll close out and say something about how there's a version mismatch.

The problem with XP SP3 playing with the original Doom exe is that it gets choppy with errors here and there and sometimes closes by itself. It works fine on 95 and 98 of course, because they were around about 3 years after Dooms release. lol. I use the shareware exe too : D.

avery1555 said:

It works fine on 95 and 98 of course, because they were around about 3 years after Dooms release. lol. I use the shareware exe too : D.

Because windows 95 and 98 had a real dos in the background compared to the emulated shit that windows xp uses.

I still have Doom 95 from the collectors edition. It's actually the first port I played on.

I hooked up two Windows 98 PCs and played Doom 95 over them to capture packets sent between them. All I have to do now is figure out what they mean.

Also, if the mouse doesn't work at first (even on Win98SE with the DMOUSE.VXD) go to the settings and there should be a dropdown. You should choose "default", if that isn't there choose the one that's a single block (illegal character). Then once that is selected hit apply then go to the mouse settings, choose enable mouse and hit apply again.

I have Doom95, it's what I started with and used for several years, playing pretty much all those wads on the Maximum disc before I discovered the internet, where I moved onto JDoom, then Legacy, and finally GZDoom and Skulltag that I use today. I occasionly go back to Doom95 for nostaglia but that's about it really, GZDoom satisfies my Dooming needs these days.

I got it via the Final Doom and Ultimate Doom discs (the replay yellow boxes, back in 1998), but even then I still only had a 486, so I used the DOS versions.

Never really bothered with Doom95 until 2003, when I got my first Athlon-class laptop, but short after I discovered source ports, so...

Maes said:

I got it via the Final Doom and Ultimate Doom discs (the replay yellow boxes, back in 1998)

Hm strange, i got mine around the same time but i don't recall getting doom95 with my package. Maybe it was a different disc?

I played Doom95 since I was five years old and only some time later did I discover Vanilla Doom on the same disk. I played Vanilla Doom more because it had more options available. But I still have Doom95 from the collector's edition, and I use it to make sure my WADs are vanilla Doom compatible. The reason I use it and not vanilla Doom is that Doom95 has more bugs and so if my WAD overcomes those bugs then it is definitely vanilla Doom proof ;)

The extra bugs Doom95 has are mainly unrelated to its ability to load and run maps, except the lack of DeHackEd support, which isn't exactly a bug. It does have a higher visplane limit, increased so the higher resolution options would not be a problem, which might render a map tested in it incompatible with Doom.

Doom95 has as many command line options as Doom (plus a couple extra), although one must know that an special parameter is required to bypass the launcher, in addition to the optional parameters one would like to apply:

Doom95 -nodm

No one mentioned the fact that it's the only way to play a modem to modem game in Windows. Unless there's one I'm not aware of?