Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bishop

Templar: Land Of The Lost Temples

What is Templar?:
=================
Templar is a DOOM II mod that will run off Skulltag. Basically it's an OpenGL mod only. (appologies to software users) Giving classic doom a different appearence and different gameplay style using the power of all Zdoom/Gzdoom features.
What do I mean by "different gameplay style?" Well it's simple... This looks like Doom, it might feel like Doom to some but not by others, but It sureley does not play like Doom. Basically gameplay-wise, it's kind of like a mix between Classic Doom, Painkiller, Doom 3, and Half-Life 2. This will be enhanced for Coop/Survival Netplay as well.

The main gameplay features are:
=> A different weapons system that is similar to Classic Doom's but very tweaked and modified and don't behave quite the same. Some weapons have Alt-Fire and are all reloadable. Anlong with prettier animations and muzzle flashes.
=> A limited running system. Ya, shoot me... This is not gonna be so fast paced now. For me, fast-paced == easy. But no worries, it's not TOO slow paced either. Basically the player can do a dash when he/she really needs to by pressing a key and holding it allowing a "sprint" boosting the player's speed, only for a limited time (6 seconds max) then needs to recharge. You can have my word, this is a bit more challenging ;)

So yes it's not like Classic Doom at all. This type of gameplay requires Finesse, strategy, And thinking. If you aren't solving puzzles and trying to navigate trough the maps, you are suddenly blasting big swarms of hellspawn.

Are you bad enough to survive the land of the lost temples?

The story behind the chaos:
===========================
After many years of waiting, the scientists of UAC were ready to test thier new improved gateways. The gateways were meant to be able to travel enormous distances in space in a matter of seconds. Long after the incident on Phobos and Deimos, their checked and re-cheked calculations persuaded them that nothing could go wrong this time.
It was time to begin testing. After 2 different research teams went in to explore, they never came back and were never seen again. Finally, the military decided to push the panic button and send in a rescue team of 15 marines icluding you, Captian James Harvey to figure out what's going on in there...

You and your team enter the portal come out the other side to a place which appears to be earth. But the question isn't where, it's when. Unfortunatley, the teleportation didn't go as planned and your teamates got scattered all over the place, a few injuries, traumas, some even going into a coma. Damn, but that was only the beginning.

You wake up several hours later all alone in the middle of nowhere from a head injury to hear the sound of combat, screaming, roars, and terror on the radios...
You find yourself in front of what appears to be a late 12th century structure. Your team is in trouble, you're all alone and unarmed which is not good.

Looks like you have no choice but to go inside and help 'em out.

(That's only one side of a 2 dimensional story ^^)

Screenshots:
=============

What this mod will include:
============================
13 Medium to very large OpenGL maps.
Cooperative 2-4 players.
Slightly different gameplay style.
3 new weapons.
A Few extra monsters.
New/custom music.
New Powerups and Inventory items.
A whole load of visual enhancments. Particle effects, Blood and gore effects, weapon enhancements, etc... Don't like em'? causing lag? no problem! just turn them off whenever you wish ^^ (Single player and multiplayer)

Video footage (@ youtube):
==========================
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ir_STy2gvQ

This project is about 45% finished right now... more updates to come.
This might take quite a bit of time to complete by myself. The amount of work is unimaginable. (Maybe it's even worthy of a Moredeth award? :o !)

Thank you for any feedback.

The next level of DooM

I love it when random strangers show up and release a cool looking mod.

Looks great, now that we have established this... Hopefully it's released, otherwise it'll be like the few other million .wads left unfinished.

Really like those torches... especially if a demon comes up and summons them to attack YOU.

I'll say it again... looks good. ;)

I love the atmosphere you are evoking, good stuff. I hope you can finish it and include all the elements you want.

I am quite impressed by the screenshots, but I'd have to play this before I can make any judgement. Need beta testers?

All the elements are there, I have everything I want. After that, it's just doing the rest of the maps, which is actually a tremendous amount of work, so it's not going to be done in just a couple months time. But It will be done eventually. (That's one promise I can make) I hope most will be able to bear with me on that. =|
As for testers, I'm not quite there at this stage, so I don't know really. I don't even know if I will even be doing public testing with this, we'll see.

Now to hope that his project won't disapear and never be heard off again...

Keep us updated so this doesn't fall off the WAD radar..

Archvile78 said:

Now to hope that his project won't disapear and never be heard off again...

Exact point I made back up there, hopefully it doesn't end up with the other .wads that are left unfinished.

But I do hope for this one.

well its not like the project wasn't started as he said its 35% done...so yes i hope for a release as well.

40% done now actually.
On a side note, not to make TOO much excitement, I'm considering releasing a small public preveiw demo, just to see if this is all really worth the trouble. Nothing big, just the first map. (with all the uneeded content removed) so i'll think about it.
In the meantime, more screenies I haven't posted yet:

[Images where here. Outdated.]

This looks absolutely fantastic! I really like the shots with the starry skies, it looks like they have great atmosphere.

Looking really nice, looks like you have some nice atmosphere going there. Will certainly have to check it out when it's released. Hope the gameplay lives up to the looks :D

These shots lokking very promising. I hope to see it one day on my harddisk.

Those screenies look awesome and after playing Styx I am definitely strongly looking forward to this upcoming mapset. Keep up the good work. :)

Well, Styx really has nothing to do with whatI'm doing now, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. =)

As for the weapons, I can say this much: All of them are Doom 2 weapons for the most part... shotgun, super shotgun, plasma rifle, BFG, etc...
but some of them behave very differently then the classic ones we know, some of them look different as well all based on re-colored sprites I did, with nicer muzzle flashes and prettier animations (similar to the ones from beautiful doom)along with all the special effects that go with it.
More technical: all the weapons rely on a reloading system I put together and some of them have secondary attacks.
As for the new weapons... well I didn't want to spoil that much of the suprise. :P Nothing no one has ever seen before, just slightly different. You'll see... ;)
Basically this mod delivers a different type of gameplay, but still looks and feels like Doom.

It looks really cool and I love the skies. As SlayeR said I hope the gameplay will be good too. :)

Torn said:

It looks really cool and I love the skies. As SlayeR said I hope the gameplay will be good too. :)

See for yourself.
Added video. (see first post)

A few of the screenshots look like they draw some pretty heavy inspiration from Doom 64, namely this shot, this shot, and to a lesser degree this shot. Not saying it's a bad thing, just something I noticed. :P Looks pretty awesome I must say!

Just a small update...
Yeah it's been two years but this project isn't anywhere near dead despite the amount of time and effort, trying to solv irritating lag issues, etc... some work has been done on it. Removed some screenies on page 1 that were sorta outdated so I can replace them with theese...

A lot of re-working basically
New maps are starting to take shape, and a lot of fine tuning in the mod itself that goes with it. But there's still an assload of ground to cover, so ya'll need to bear with me on this one lol

Stay tuned! ;D