Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ArmouredBlood

Ice Textures out there?

So I made a map set in a crevasse, but there aren't any ice textures in doom 2. I hear there's a few in heretic/hexen, but I'm not sure on how to get those out of the wad. I've also tried making my own, to ... less than stellar results, but I have gotten some into my wad with xwe and used them on sidedefs with doombuilder 2, both of which show the texture. The problem now is that I run it in skulltag, and in the startup lines it says something like "unknown type/data patch ICE4 in texture ICE4" and the same for my other meh texture. I saved these as 8-bit 256 colors ... and I know the doom palette is different from regular ones ...

So I guess I'm asking; how do I change the color palette to doom2 compatible (using paint shop pro 7); can I salvage my texture(s); and what do you think of my map?

http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/icecavetexprob.zip

I change textures to doom 2 compatible by extracting a doom texture from the IWAD, then extracting a heretic or hexen texture out of the wad, opening the hexen/heretic texture with MS Paint, copying the image, and pasting it over top the doom texture. tends to convert the image pretty well.

Cool thanks for the tip, it's worked for the sidedefs but I also wanted to use ice for the flats ... and I'm not sure about how to do that. I'll look into it tomorrow, too late now.

You do flats the exact same as textures(in the doom palette) except they need to be between F_START and F_END, they don't need to be added to PNAMES or TEXTURE1 and you need to convert them to a flat by selecting(from the XWE menu) "Convert to Doom flat"

I don't know what went wrong, but the patches for the texture aren't loading and the flat isn't showing up. I get the error after exiting xwe "file not found", so I think it isn't saving what I've got to the wad properly, but the texture still shows up in DB2 ... idk wtf to do with it anymore. If anyone wants to take a look at it I'm uploading the stuff ...

http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/IceCavetry1.zip

Ok yeah that's a little messed.

Firstly go back into XWE(?) and operate a scorched earth policy - delete everything in there that isn't the map lumps (that's the 6 entries above MAP01.

Go click on the 'Patches' tab at the bottom and then select 'Edit' and then 'Load' from the menus. Load in your wall texture there and XWE should automatically have put patch markers around it and also added it to the list of patch names and as a new texture. You can go back to the 'All' tab and check this.

Then click on 'Floors' and load in your ice flat same way you loaded the wall texture in. Again, as long as you're in the right tab then XWE should create the flat markers and save it as a Doom flat for you.

Tried your method cybershark and again, it seems to have worked in XWE and DB2 but skulltag and gzdoom aren't accepting the patch for the texture -.- However I'm getting something for the flat, they just have a palette of pixels between each square now.

arrrgh are you talking about a dehacked patch, or a separate pwad? I have no experience with working those ...

Here's the changed wad, with the music I wanted to use.

http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/icecavetry2.zip

To fix ICEA - delete and re-import using "Load" instead of "Load (raw data)", for ICE4F - highlight, then select "Save as Doom Flat" from the "Image" menu. I've run the map succesfully in GZDoom and prboom after making those changes.

ArmouredBlood said:

arrrgh are you talking about a dehacked patch, or a separate pwad? I have no experience with working those ...

Nothing to do with Dehacked; I just like to keep everything seperate by storing textures in a seperate WAD and my map in another. When testing I load both, but when I want to upload it I merge them together.

GreyGhost said:

To fix ICEA - delete and re-import using "Load" instead of "Load (raw data)", for ICE4F - highlight, then select "Save as Doom Flat" from the "Image" menu. I've run the map succesfully in GZDoom and prboom after making those changes.

IT WORKED!! thank you so much, this problem has been bugging me for the last 3 days. Now to decide what to upload it with, little small for a stand-alone.

Arrrgh I see what you mean, with 2 separate pwads right? I'll think about it if I want to do more than 5 textures.