Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
maggot202

orbiting polyobjs?

Hello
I was editing some old maps (the reason why i don't have a crappy first map: i've been editing my "first map" for a year and a half now), and thought it would be cool to have some orbiting polyobjects around an UAC-built teleporter, but i currently don't know how to do this, if even possible. Can you help me here?

Nevermind, I already found out how :). The only problem is that the orbiting polyobj seems to screw the graphics a bit

It can't orbit any linedefs as the sector in which the polyobj appears has to be convex.
If you don't need interactivity, maybe a bunch of scripted lowering and raising sectors are good enough for a moving illusion.

If you're mapping for Eternity, the polyobjects can do what you want without glitching. It's the only port where a fundamental design flaw of polyobjects has been corrected, allowing them to roam freely.

Gez said:

If you're mapping for Eternity, the polyobjects can do what you want without glitching. It's the only port where a fundamental design flaw of polyobjects has been corrected, allowing them to roam freely.

GL ports which treat the objects like models will also allow this, so I'd put an asterisk on this statement ;) Of course they do it by "cheating;" I do it in the only way that's possible within the confines of the original rendering algorithm ;)

Gez said:

Heh, reminds me of that that picture ROTT would output when a pushwall escaped the map. Is there any chance of anything like that happening in EE?

Da Spadger said:

Heh, reminds me of that that picture ROTT would output when a pushwall escaped the map. Is there any chance of anything like that happening in EE?

Nope. They can move anywhere without causing an error, but of course moving to certain locations - such as right in the middle of some one-sided lines - is technically illegal and will cause rendering glitches.

Closest you could get right now is a theoretically possible "R_IntersectPoint: lines are parallel" error, but that's due to the possibility of round-off error in R_PointOnSide. So far nobody's reported it happening, though ^_^

Quasar said:

GL ports which treat the objects like models will also allow this

Which ones do? Doomsday or Vavoom? The only OpenGL Hexen ports I know of are Doomsday-jHexen, GZDoom and Vavoom, and I know GZDoom doesn't.