Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
40oz

Cubicle Jobs

Does anyone here have a job, or has had a job where they sit in a cubicle all day?

How bad is it?

Common interest has led people to believe that being stuck in a cubicle is the most stressful and terrible environment to be put in. People often say "I'd do anything not to be working in a cubicle for the rest of my life" about as often as people say "I'm afraid of clowns." Both of which have been statements that have been passed around so much I seriously doubt they're true when I hear them.

I don't really know anyone who is working in a cubicle farm, I'm not even sure they even exist anymore. I'd like to know what it's like. Based on what I've seen it looks like you show up with suit pants, button shirt and tie, sit down and have a boring and repetitive task, in addition to having a ton of free time to just sit around and talk to your neighboring cubicle buddy.

I currently work at a Subway restaurant getting paid $8.00 an hour. Sometimes business gets really slow and I get to just sit around and listen to music or draw layouts for maps and stuff. I love it during that time of day. And other times I get a steady rate of customers, one family/group/person, at a time, each showing up immediately after I finish the previous, which irritates me because I look forward to sitting down and listening to music as I'm ringing the customer up.

Ever since I've graduated high school last week I haven't really done anything worth while. Most of the time if my friends aren't around i'll sit in front of the computer screen trying to think of something to look up. I kinda wish I was getting paid to be wasting my time like this. And I feel like having a cubicle job is the perfect option for me to do this.

I'd like a job where my assigned task is generally pretty easy leaving me a lot of time to sit around. Preferably, I'd like an environment where I don't have to deal with any customers, only my fellow coworkers. I'd like to work full-time. I'd also prefer that I have to wake up early in the morning so I can get out of work before sunset, and so I don't feel like a piece of trash waking up at 2:00pm. I mean, by that point I don't feel like bothering to get dressed. Half the day is practically over. But I digress.

Does anyone here have any input on what it's like to have a cubicle job? Is it anything like I predict it is? What kinda jobs take place in cubicles? Suggestions on what cubicle job closest matches my criteria? Are they easy to get? Do they pay well (Greater than $8?) Do I need a college education to get one?

I worked in a Dell call centre (yes, a real Dell one), where they had lots and lots of well-partitioned desks they dared to call cubes. Sure, the summer weekdays when nobody called where fun, with shenanigans, marshmallow cannons, etc, but the winter months were somewhat hellish (Dellish?) based on the volume of work.

That sort of setup leads to more fun with your teammates than those full cubicles ever will. Also leads to the annoying guy annoying you even more and people walking right by your head nonstop if you try and take a nap.

Ultimately you still have to not hate the task at hand and the people there or you'd go insane.

Did I mention that $12.5 million building wasn't up to code in multiple ways? Now that Dell is gone the guys here wanting to use it are having to gut and rewire it. Americans suck. Can't even design a building right.

I'll never rise that high to Cubicle-Land. Then again, I'm not so crazy about the salary concept. If I work OT, I want my 1.5x pay.
The only good thing is the wage is higher, but the overtime whore I am at work, sometimes I make more than they do in a week, well, some of them. :)

I have half a cubicle. It's more like a corner desk made by taking the materials cubicles are made out of, dividing an area into four, and leaving the backs open. But I think it's still technically a cubicle.

It's not actually that bad and it gives me more privacy than the open work area I was in before. But I'm starting to wish we had an open work area again. From experience, more communication and teamwork happen when the work area is open, but I guess that also depends on the type of work you do.

I've worked in several places where everyone has a corner-desk with cubicle walls, doing IT shit of some kind from helpdesk to sysadmin.

The fact that you attend work and have carpeted partitions to pin things to is largely irrelevant. Enjoyment of work depends on the company you work for, the customers you have and the people you get to work with.

Your work may not even involve you sitting at a desk all day, especially if you're doing something like deskside support, where you are expected to go see all the hot admin girls and plug their mouse back in on a regular basis.

Customers and workmates can be either a joy or absolute cunts. Companies do exist where management is great, but they're rare in my experience, though you can often look forward to having a good manager up the chain somewhere who protects you from most of the politics and bullshit that goes on.

A job's a job. Nobody wants to do it, but you have to to survive. I'd know I'd rather be inside in a dry temperature-controlled office with a computer, than outside in the heat or in the rain, busting my ass lifting heavy things. Or even worse, in retail, having to deal with incredibly rude inconsiderate swearing people face-to-face. Pretty sure I'd go postal.

But to each their own.

It's not so bad. You just have to make sure you don't get taken for granted or forgotten about.

What kinda jobs should I pursue then? Searching for cubicle jobs on goole gives me "top ten non-cubicle jobs!" Evidently it appears easy to get into a cubicle job and difficult to get out. However I don't know where to start.

Anything in computers! Tech support generally starts peying twice as much as the sandwich place. Goes up from there. Well, it goes down if you do anything entry level in the gaming industry. Game testers often make $12/h.

Having been someone who's spent the majority of his life working food service (whether catering, fast food or some variation there of), spending time in the army and now running my own business, I'd say do your own thing.

I started a lawn care business for about 500 dollars (included in that was the mower, trimmer, a couple of attachments and some gas as well as the truck to haul it around in.) I spend a lot of time out doors, get some good exersize, deal very minimally with the customers (always prompt, curtious and professional, of course.) and I make a fairly healthy living.

Further more, I'm not getting 'overlooked' or over worked. I'm not having to fight tooth and fucking nail for a nickle raise on my piddling hourly pay and I can decide whom I sell my services to, at what rate, and how often I work.

All in all, not a bad gig. But it requires a lot of dedication, self motivation/direction and a willingness to bust your ass for every penny. However, at 26, I've started building a nice little portfolio and I'm looking at purchasing a fairly 'new' (99-2000) BMW in cash, free and clear.

Definitely not something I could have done on my Wendy's paycheck, I tell you that much.

Tech support, helpdesk - need to know how computers work, usually an understanding of windows/office configuration, though some jobs differ
Administration jobs - decent wpm and knowledge of spreadsheeting and document formatting, as well as fax machines and photocopiers
Data entry - turn up, have eyesight, at least one limb capable of operating a keyboard

I don't know what the big anti-cubicle thing is about. That Office Space movie has alot to answer for.

JohnnyRancid said:

What kinda jobs should I pursue then?

Two suggestions. First, find something you like doing. If you like computers, look into an IT-related job, whether it's desktop support, programming, or anything computer-related really. If you don't enjoy your job, it's hell and will slowly kill you. I've been there, and the stress of working at a job that I hated was not just annoying, but unhealthy in the end.

Next, are you looking to go to college? If you are, look into getting a job there, even if it's a workstudy position. That's how I got started, first in my school's technology department and now in the library's tech department, and it's turned into something of a career for me. Student workers tend to get paid better than if they work off-campus, at least where I'm at. They started me at $11.83/hr and it went up from there. The school also tends to go easier on student workers since they know they have school on their mind

I also find I enjoy the academic atmosphere, but that's just me :^)

I have one of these jobs and I think it's good. There are plenty of people around me having semi-interesting conversations, which for me is good, because I don't work well in a non-stop uber-concentrative mode. There are no visual distractions in a cubicle, which is a much better situation than sitting at a desk in an open area with people constantly walking through your field of vision. The pay and benefits are good so there's that. I also don't like sitting in one spot, so I frequently wander into someone's vacant office and stare out the window for a minute or so. I also wander the halls when thinking some problem through to help stave off mental stagnation.

I think it's only as bad as you let it be. My work is very low stress, and it gives me lots of nice money. That's all I want out of my job. I work to live, not live to work.

My job is sitting in a chair all day and staring at water. In other words, I'm a lifeguard.

Credit Analyst. Work in a cube all day listening to people bitch because I denied their loan because they had a bankruptcy a year ago. Depends on the job, but I'm on the phone all day talking to people, get maybe 30 minutes if I'm lucky to talk to coworkers or surf the net. I mean goddamm people, if you have 3 delinquent accounts with the company you're applying for credit with, don't be surprised when they tell you no. Still, looking at credit reports is funny. The cube isn't bad, simply because I don't notice it since I'm busy all day, but I'm sure carpal tunnel is setting in.

Never had a cubicle job. I'm a blue-collar kind of guy. I would hate having a job where my work didn't seem to have any kind of immediate results or impact.

I can understand that, that's why I moved to credit analyst. I have the final say whether someone will be able to upgrade their house, get their run over dogs leg fixed, bury their parents body, etc... Can be rather depressing at times.

Danarchy said:

I would hate having a job where my work didn't seem to have any kind of immediate results or impact.

Right now I'm a network engineer for a corporate ISP who has a fairly large datacenter. I could easily go configure or unplug some things and stop network access (and hence business) for a large variety of companies including many retail stores. When the stuff's not working right or changes are to be made and I get it working, the results are immediate and easily measurable.

During some job listing research, I found a Data Entry/Clerical position very close to my area at Laboratory Inc. The job description says it requires proficiency in Microsoft word and Microsoft Excel (piece of cake). It also requires that I submit a resume. I'm going to include in the resume that I am computer literate, have a typing speed of 51 WPM, recorded inventory and provided assistance in restocking merchandise, have taken and passed a computer applications class, and attained a score on the PSSA for advanced in writing and proficient in mathematics.

the job description also says to suggest salary needs. I'm gonna say $16,000-19,000, depending on the "excellent benefits" provided. I'm also gonna format the resume nicely with bullets and indentations and stuff so the interviewer can see I know what I'm doing.

This is my first time writing a resume. I've looked at a bunch of resume examples online for help. Is there anything else I might want to mention?

Sounds good. If you can include some references that helps too. Previous supervisors, etc. Someone in a position respected enough to say "yeah, this guy's legit, give him a job".

I'm happy to look over your draft if you like, PM me. It's cool if you want to remove any personal details.

Might be clever to find out what that kind of job typically pays. Even better if you can figure out what they typically pay. Entry level at Dell was $28,000 and that was low for tech support. Of course that depends on things like hours too. If you're only part time that would be insanely high.

Oh it is a part-time position according to the job description. From what I know data entry jobs range between $10-12 an hour, what kind of a salary would that convert to? (Assuming I work at least 20 hours a week)

JohnnyRancid said:

I am extremely lazy and I just want to sit on my ass all day. Monies plz.

I've never had any job where there are desks. Or even computers.
The best job I had was as a heavy duty scale installer. (For trucks and such)
Anothre was as a truck mechanic, this one was pretty fun cause I had a lot of fun with my work mates and it also wasn't too repetetive.

I wonder how come Patrick Pineda hasn't chimed in this thread. He could tell us a thing or two about glamorous jobs.