Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheeXile

IE8 is the best browser in the world!

If they just advertised like they're the only one, without mentioning 'firefox' or 'chrome', a lot of people probably wouldn't even know there were alternatives.

I'm actually kind of sick to my stomach to discover I've been browsing all these years without security, privacy, reliability, OR ease of use. I also feel like a moron for not realizing this until now.

"Customizability: Tie -- Sure, Firefox may win in sheer number of add-ons, but many of the customizations you'd want to download for Firefox are already a part of Internet Explorer 8 – right out of the box."

Ah, Microsoft. Do you know what "customization" actually means? It's not "prebuilt set of standard features", as surprising as it might see. In fact, it's even kinda like the contrary of that.

The other claims are equally dubious, but that one was the funniest IMO.

IE8 is about to make you its bitch, suck it down.

gggmork said:

If they just advertised like they're the only one, without mentioning 'firefox' or 'chrome', a lot of people probably wouldn't even know there were alternatives.

I agree, they definitely just fucked themselves right in the ass.

Dude, haven't you guys heard? IE8 is a bigger leap over IE7 than IE7 was over IE6! ... because apparently IE7 was an earth-shattering advance over IE6! OMG, this is so exciting!

This was posted a couple weeks ago on another forum I frequent... my reaction is still the same as it was then. If this were featured on anything but Microsoft.com, I'd call it a very funny parody; being actually featured on Microsoft.com, I call it a very funny glimpse at how out of touch with reality Microsoft is.

JohnnyRancid said:

I agree, they definitely just fucked themselves right in the ass.

So disgustingly true (about the "consumers" that is). Microsoft just gets more entertaining every year...

This is how I'm reading it...

Internet Explorer 8 takes the cake with better phishing and malware protection, as well as protection from emerging threats.

READ: We are the only people to put any kind of security protection in our browser. It's not like anyone else has any popular security plugins.

InPrivate Browsing and InPrivate Filtering help Internet Explorer 8 claim privacy victory.

READ: Our buzzwords create a magic privacy shield that no one can replicate.

Features like Accelerators, Web Slices and Visual Search Suggestions make Internet Explorer 8 easiest to use.

READ: A bunch of nonsensical, bloated features make it easier to use, right?

Firefox and Chrome have more support for emerging standards like HTML5 and CSS3, but Internet Explorer 8 invested heavily in having world-class, consistent support for the entire CSS2.1 specification.

READ: While the other guys wasted all their resources trying to make their browsers compatible with all standard protocols, we decided to focus on one barely used one for some inexplicable reason.

Internet Explorer 8 has the most comprehensive developer tools built in, including HTML, CSS and JavaScript editing, but also JavaScript profiling; other browsers have developer tools available, but either require you to download them separately, or aren't as complete.

READ: Lets just pretend that giving developers a restricted, set amount of customizability is better than just open sourcing the program. Well, it makes more money for us, anyway.

Only Internet Explorer 8 has both tab isolation and crash recovery features; Firefox and Chrome have one or the other.

READ: I'm sorry, but our marketing execs have all gone completely brain damaged.

Sure, Firefox may win in sheer number of add-ons, but many of the customizations you'd want to download for Firefox are already a part of Internet Explorer 8 – right out of the box.

READ: We made a bloated heap of features which is better for your lazy asses than picking and choosing the plugins you want and need. Just like Windows!

Internet Explorer 8 is more compatible with more sites on the Internet than any other browser.

READ: Microsoft fanboys are now more likely than ever to find useless IE-only protocols to sneak into their websites so they can snub their noses at the users of other browsers.

Neither Firefox nor Chrome provide guidance or enterprise tools.

READ: Only Microsoft would ever provide help files or anything like that!

Knowing the top speed of a car doesn't tell you how fast you can drive in rush hour. To actually see the difference in page loads between all three browsers, you need slow-motion video. This one’s also a tie.

READ: Yeah, we don't know why we bothered mentioning this one, either.

Danarchy said:

Neither Firefox nor Chrome provide guidance or enterprise tools.[/b]
Only Microsoft would ever provide help files or anything like that!

Actually, it's referring to IE's integration with the underlying OS, and how you can lock down and/or control almost every aspect of the browser via Group Policy Objects, which is important in a corporate environment where you may want to enforce a certain proxy server or security setting. Firefox does include some GPOs, but when I looked into it last around FF 2.0.0.x, the options weren't as complete as IE's.

Despite the fact this is the only half-valid point of the whole IE page, Microsoft also neglect to mention the policies break most of the time if the user logs onto another system which handles their profile in a different way, leaving you to either manually regedit the clusterfuck you're left with, or just blow the user's profile away and start a new one. Thanks. Real useful.

Microsoft might have been rad when it was Bill Gates and Paul Allen writing DOS in a garage, but fuck they're shit company now, and have been for the last 10 years at least. Everything they do just makes me RRRAAAGGGEEE!!!

Why do they make it like they are selling IE8, it's not like it will not be included in Windows 7 when it releases.

Super Jamie said:

Everything they do just makes me RRRAAAGGGEEE!!!

I've come to suspect that's the whole point of their new strategy. Surely REoL understands.

Super Jamie said:

Everything they do just makes me RRRAAAGGGEEE!!!

Is it their problem that they're in it for money, or is it your problem you take everything a corporation just like any other does personally? Apple is hardly any different from MS, their fanatical cult following is just oblivious to it, and if each more popular freeware software or Linux distro went into serious business they'd eventually just turn out the same.

Chill out, it's just business. You raging over something irrelevant is doing more harm to you than just letting it be would.

GhostlyDeath said:

Why do they make it like they are selling IE8, it's not like it will not be included in Windows 7 when it releases.

I'd imagine that due to Vista being a bit of a clusterfuck and generally poorly received, they're only expecting a lukewarm reception to 7 and need to find a way to get the millions of XP users to upgrade.

That, and they probably want to deter less experienced users from migrating away from IE in favour of Firefox or Chrome to begin with. If anything, it shows how much of a threat Microsoft perceive these browsers to be, so they're making a desperate attempt to hold on to as many users as they can.

Incidentally, what ever happened to Opera? No one seems to care about that anymore.

gggmork said:

[sarcasm]yeah, because, after all, even in 2009, the computer world is still all about IBM/Microsoft and Apple, just like it was in 1984. Tertium non datur.[/sarcasm]

GhostlyDeath said:

It's also because IE8 will be the only way alot of people see Microsoft's new search engine, Bing. This is all part of the Microsoft+Facebook vs Google fight that's going on at the moment to try and reclaim more of the internet from Google.

Apparently by "leapfrogging the competition" they mean dragging themselves along by the tail end of once innovative features that have already been around for more than half a decade (i.e. Tabbed Browsing, Crash Recovery, etc). But even their copycat versions have nothing on the real thing...

Here's another good one:

"The Automatic Crash Recovery (ACR) feature of Internet Explorer 8 helps prevent the loss of work in the unlikely event of browser failure." -Microsoft.com

I have been a long term fan of ie. I like it and have used it extensively. I have tried Ff, Opera, Chrome, SeaMonkey and found all of them to be lacking or just not as comfortable in one way or another.

I am posting this using Firefox. Why? ie8, that's why. After years of enjoying ie, version 8 was slow, unreliable, blocked certain sites for no obvious reason, failed to work with others and generally messed up teh intarweb to the point that it became foolish not to persevere with something else. I again tried as many possibilites as I could find and for a number of reasons Ff came out on top. I have to admit, I'm still not utterly convinced by Ff (I've been using it for a couple of months now). There are a few things about it that I'm simply not that keen on. Every now and again I fire up ie to compare and MS have fixed a few issues in ie8 with patches and so on. My work still uses an older version of ie and I still prefer it to Ff. On balance though, ie8 really is a bit of a mess and has been bad enough to get this long-term ie user to switch.

As for that advertising site... well, it simply makes claims that are so blatantly skewed, if not actually false, that I don't understand how they are getting away with it.

All's i know is the IE6 i'm still using opens instantly, whereas firefox slows the systen slightly and makes the fan speed audiably increase, and then opens.

Enjay said:

I have been a long term fan of ie. I like it and have used it extensively. I have tried Ff, Opera, Chrome, SeaMonkey and found all of them to be lacking or just not as comfortable in one way or another.

I am posting this using Firefox. Why? ie8, that's why. After years of enjoying ie, version 8 was slow, unreliable, blocked certain sites for no obvious reason, failed to work with others and generally messed up teh intarweb to the point that it became foolish not to persevere with something else.

Can't you just use an older version of IE? Hell, I've still got 5.5 on this comp (not that it's ever used). I know a few people who keep older versions for web design compatibility testing and such.