Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Georgef551

Frightening Elevator Ride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUjITtpcj4Y

I don't know where to start.
This was scary as all hell. The only good thing was, the ride was mostly smooth.
Lessee...Start at 4, hit 6, go DOWN to 1? Doors don't open, then goes up to 6.

I know "Elevator Enthusiast" vids aren't big here (they are on YouTube, though), but I figure this one was worth sharing.

(I was using the garage, but decided to do a full enthusiast video before heading back to 1, where the vid ends.)

Uhh.....yeah.....
There was a reason I quit doing HeXeN maps back in the day....scripting is hard, especially when you can't program with a crap. :)

It was scary enough for you to go get a video camera and do it all over again? Sorry, the scary is not enough.

Georgef551 said:

"Elevator Enthusiast"

O_o
And I thought that train spotters needed to get a life.

I quit riding elevators after A) scary experiences with old-ass ones on the OSU campus, B) a couple of nightmares, and C) reading about some famous accidents involving them. Stairs for me please.

Enjay said:

I believe the proper term is "railfans". :p

I didn't watch the video, but I knew someone who was scared of elevators.

Quasar said:

I quit riding elevators after A) scary experiences with old-ass ones on the OSU campus, B) a couple of nightmares, and C) reading about some famous accidents involving them. Stairs for me please.

Stairs are statistically far more dangerous than elevators.

AndrewB said:

It was scary enough for you to go get a video camera and do it all over again? Sorry, the scary is not enough.

It had a "phone", so if it got stuck, I'm set. Would be inconvienienced, but fine. Also had my mobile one on me as well.

Enjay Sayeth later:

The ones that go to places just to ride them, yeah, I somewhat aggree. I only shoot ones where I actually am using the place.

I will aggree, I don't have one. :)

I had an elevator drop on me before while delivering pizzas. It was only like 3 feet, and from the second story, but the safety mechanism kicked in so I'm here to tell about it. It was one hell of a scary moment, to say the least. The maintenance crew was at the building at the time, so I only had to wait about 30 minutes for them to come open the doors for me. I think the scariest part was actually crawling out of the elevator onto the first floor. I had that feeling as if the elevator was going to drop again and slice my body in half (although it wouldn't have in any case).

I'm not afraid of elevators now, either.

Snarboo said:

I believe the proper term is "railfans". :p

Since when? I used to be a massive train buff and never once heard that term. Pretty sure it isn't mentioned in the entire 9-volume set of "The World of Trains" magazines that i, er, am looking after for somebody.

Quasar said:

scary experiences with old-ass ones on the OSU campus

Oregon, Ohio, or Oklahoma State University?

Hey, Trains rule. It's Birdwatchers you gotta look out for.

F40PH, Bitches.

exp(x) said:

Oregon, Ohio, or Oklahoma State University?

How is the GNU/Train?

Quasar said:

What about escalators?

AndrewB said:

Stairs are statistically far more dangerous than elevators.

Not with my patented white-knuckle handrail grip. :)

Was I the only one half expecting a "Hell" level light to pop on when he went down?

Too bad it didn't, otherwise the video might have been worthwhile.

Georgef551 said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUjITtpcj4Y

I don't know where to start.
This was scary as all hell. The only good thing was, the ride was mostly smooth.

Scary as hell? You must scare easily. :D

You took an elevator heading down. They ALL do that. If you don't want to go down, get on an elevator heading up. That's why there's usually lights above the elevator that tells you the direction it's currently going. If it doesn't have those lights, you have to watch the floor indicators for that elevator to see which way it's headed.

Danarchy said:

What about escalators?

I think I saw something about that in the trailer for the new Final Destination movie.

I honestly don't find elevators very scary. I've never really had any problems with them. Hell, the elevator at the college I go to hasn't been expected since 2003, one of the lights is broken, and there's a dent in the ceiling, but it still works fine and the staff even use it to haul heavy furniture up to the other floors.

Steeveeo said:

Was I the only one half expecting a "Hell" level light to pop on when he went down?

Too bad it didn't, otherwise the video might have been worthwhile.

Now THAT would make an interesting wad. It could be called "Elevator to Hell" or some such cheesy knock-off name, which makes people expect it to be a really crappy map made by a 13-yr old mapper only to find...

Heh, me and a friend (who is a really good programmer and last i heard was working at *spit* Runescape) were once planning on making our own MMORPG, and if somebody broke the rules they'd be sent to "hell", where a lift would appear, they'd get in, and then the old-fashioned floor indicator would slowly start to go down, and then suddenly drop right down past the bottom with a loud clang noise.

Hell itself would be a super-tough dungeon, and the admin's mansion would be on a huge precipice overlooking it, where we'd be able to take sniper rifles and blow away the inmates at random, though usually just as they were about to reach the exit.

Actually come to think of it, we spent so much time thinking up what the admin's abilities would be, and what hell would be like, we didn't actually think of anything else for the game.

Christoph said:

Now THAT would make an interesting wad. It could be called "Elevator to Hell" or some such cheesy knock-off name, which makes people expect it to be a really crappy map made by a 13-yr old mapper only to find...

Check out teeth.wad in the master levels.

EarthQuake said:

I had an elevator drop on me before while delivering pizzas. It was only like 3 feet, and from the second story, but the safety mechanism kicked in so I'm here to tell about it. It was one hell of a scary moment, to say the least. The maintenance crew was at the building at the time, so I only had to wait about 30 minutes for them to come open the doors for me. I think the scariest part was actually crawling out of the elevator onto the first floor. I had that feeling as if the elevator was going to drop again and slice my body in half (although it wouldn't have in any case).

I'm not afraid of elevators now, either.

Elevators are very safe. With the traction models, each cable can hold 1.5 times the rated capacity, the elevator, and counterweight, so you have seven that can snap. If the eigth one goes, you have four brakes to stop the car, and only ONE needs to work. I think there's only been three cases where elevators fell and crashed, one being 9/11, one being a plane crashing into the Empire State Building (oddly enough, the woman in the elevator plummed 75 stories, and lived to tell about it!), and I believe one happened in Chicago (not sure). Not sure about Gen2 models (Otis).
Wow. THAT had to be scary! I've been in shaky ones, and those that vilently rose/dropped when trying to level off.
One that really scared me was in the Sands (New Jersey). It normally takes the elevator about 4 seconds to go from 3 to 1, but there was a screeching sound, that started at 5, a little slow at 4, took a bit longer to 3, about 10 seconds to 2, and about 20 seconds to get to 1. Narrowly missed getting stuck in a full elevator that day.

Chilly Willy's turn:Scary as hell? You must scare easily. :D

When you're the only one there, and it acts all funny, it is kinda' scary.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You took an elevator heading down. They ALL do that. If you don't want to go down, get on an elevator heading up. That's why there's usually lights above the elevator that tells you the direction it's currently going. If it doesn't have those lights, you have to watch the floor indicators for that elevator to see which way it's headed.

Nope, that wasn't it (good hypothosis, though). I hit the "UP" button (as seen), and I was the only one in the garage at the time. After heading the right way (up), I realised the elevator had a "Park Position". (Where I said "I guess it had to home itself.") If you don't use the elevator for a few seconds after door close, it heads to a determined parking spot, in this case, 1, and the doors stay closed. I hit the 6 button just a hare too late, so it went to park. Not knowing there was a park position initially, made this a bit frightening. It was fine from that point, on.

Georgef551 said:

Nope, that wasn't it (good hypothosis, though). I hit the "UP" button (as seen), and I was the only one in the garage at the time.

You still don't get it. You hit up, yes, but the elevator was going DOWN. When an elevator is going one direction (up or down), it'll keep going that direction no matter what floor it stops on or what floor button you push when you get on it. That's so that other people in the direction that elevator is headed get a chance to get on as well. It's actually not as efficient to make the elevator go the way you press the button unless it's already headed that way. Because of that, nearly all elevators have special lights above the door to show which direction an elevator is currently going. You might push the UP button, but if the elevator that stops on your floor is headed down, it will keep heading down despite you pushing a higher level floor button.

So if you want to go up, you not only need to push the up button, but get on an elevator that is headed up. Otherwise you'll get a trip just like you described. You must not have many elevators where you live, and/or not use them very often to not know how elevators operate.

Chilly Willy said:

You still don't get it. You hit up, yes, but the elevator was going DOWN. When an elevator is going one direction (up or down), it'll keep going that direction no matter what floor it stops on or what floor button you push when you get on it. That's so that other people in the direction that elevator is headed get a chance to get on as well. It's actually not as efficient to make the elevator go the way you press the button unless it's already headed that way. Because of that, nearly all elevators have special lights above the door to show which direction an elevator is currently going. You might push the UP button, but if the elevator that stops on your floor is headed down, it will keep heading down despite you pushing a higher level floor button.

So if you want to go up, you not only need to push the up button, but get on an elevator that is headed up. Otherwise you'll get a trip just like you described. You must not have many elevators where you live, and/or not use them very often to not know how elevators operate.

This elevator was heading up, since I heard it coming from below (the close-up of the door after the press). I didn't press the 6 on time, and it simply went down to park. If someone was calling it down, the doors would open where it would stop, in this case, 1. They didn't open. It stopped at 1, sat a second, then went to 6. I simply didn't hit 6 fast enough, so it thought it was not in use, and parked itself at 1. Then it served the call to 6. If you ride a hydraulic, go to the top, just stay put, and let the doors close. In some cases, the elevator will just go down on it's own to a predetermined park position.

Here's an example of one that parks when nothing's pressed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uspzQo_BeM <-----Start about 4:02 in.

Don't get me wrong, I see what you're talking about, because your scenario does happen. The "smarter" systems only stop elevators heading the way you want, as for most, stop at a called floor, reguardless which way it's going.

Georgef551 said:

I simply didn't hit 6 fast enough, so it thought it was not in use, and parked itself at 1.

Now that makes sense.