Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cybershark

Favourite texture - and why?

So this is a totally mappergeek question and just something that I wondered about recently. It's as stated in the thread title - just what is your favourite texture (or flat)?

Ideal nominations should come from one of the major IWADs so as to be known, and preferably with a picture of the graphic itself or in-game. Plus y'know, it'd be nice to know why you feel so strongly for it. Maybe it's the charm of that Doom Alpha flat with the cute playing cards? Or perhaps the raw exposed entrails of SKSNAKE2 which always make you thirsty for a strawberry milkshake?

Personally I'm going to cheer for Heretic's WALL51 because it has enough depth that I was once able to kit out an entire map in just that (and a very slight variant) and still have it look gorgeous:

In Doom? The COMP**** textures. Too bad they had to take a ton of them out of Doom II. Can't uild a decent techbase without them.

Really nice screenshot there.

I can't say I have one favorit, but I really like the Zimmer8 texture in Doom2.

arrrgh said:

In Doom? The COMP**** textures. Too bad they had to take a ton of them out of Doom II. Can't uild a decent techbase without them.

I totally agree, COMP**** and affiliates are great. They have such a variety of uses, thats what makes them best.

I can't say I particularly have a favorite texture. I tend to do a lot of marble stuff lately, though, I guess.

Also, that screenshot is sweet! Is that map available to download somewhere? I'd like to study it!

Vader said:

TEKWALL4!
It fits almost everywhere in a tech-base.

Seconded! I love that texture :D

The METAL textures. For me, they really embody that whole gritty industrial feel of Doom. Plus, they're small but have alot of detail, so you can get creative and use them either to decorate anything from a whole room to a doortrack down to very fine detailing. I'd consider SPACEW3 and SUPPORT3 to be part of this group too.

Infact, I probably wouldn't enjoy my crap attempts at mapping anywhere near as much if I couldn't use SUPPORT3. It's just so good.

MARBFAC3 with the Baron is another favorite, though it's not very practical. I've always loved the skulls at the top and bottom of MARBLE3 as well.

Textures I like: SHAWN series. Pretty sparse, but a step above bland. Their simplicity, brightness, and smoothness appeal to me for their shear versatility and their "flawlessness" (for lack of a better word). I'd build my house out of that shit if I had the option.

Textures I dislike: Puke green marble, as the first that comes to mind. It often works well under certain situations, but it just comes across as ugly to me on its own. I think I may have been subjected to one too many shitty wads using that texture when I was younger, perhaps. :P

I have weird tastes.

Super Jamie said:

The METAL textures. For me, they really embody that whole gritty industrial feel of Doom.

Assuming that you are referring to METAL2 onwards, to me those have always been very much linked with and totally characteristic of Doom2. I know that's a bit obvious seeing as how they were not in Doom, but those textures, perhaps more than others, say Doom2 to me.

I am not sure what to pick.
My favorites is BROWN1, METAL2, SLADWALL AND GSTONE1. :/
I guess it is either metal2 or sladwall.

SLADWALL? Interesting. Versatile but certainly not in my top ten. On the other hand there's the animated SLADRIP which should be used sparingly to make the most of it's awesomeness.

DuckReconMajor said:

Hahaha, exit sign! No explanation required there :)

And yeah TEKWALL4 is a thing of beauty, although I prefer working with a darker version of it. Also I can't get as excited about SHAWN2 as SILVER1.

Nomad said:

Also, that screenshot is sweet! Is that map available to download somewhere? I'd like to study it!

Ah yeah sure, it's E1M5 in lesion2

Super Jamie said:

I'd consider SPACEW3 and SUPPORT3 to be part of this group too.

SPACEW3 is a great one but would have been better if they'd made the screens more diverse. Y'know, like a smaller PLANET1 or something, maybe with a broken screen in there.

TheeXile said:

Textures I dislike: Puke green marble, as the first that comes to mind. It often works well under certain situations, but it just comes across as ugly to me on its own. I think I may have been subjected to one too many shitty wads using that texture when I was younger, perhaps. :P

Lol it's all true! Why is it that so many bad maps use green marble?

Among others, I like FLAT10, that dirt from Doom 1, because it works everywhere.

Cybershark said:

Lol it's all true! Why is it that so many bad maps use green marble?

My problem with MARBLE1 etc is the faxct that it is the default texture in DeePsea, which is the editor that I use. So, to me, MARBLE1 always looks like a texture from an unworked on or unfinished part of the map.

Cybershark said:

SLADWALL? Interesting. Versatile but certainly not in my top ten. On the other hand there's the animated SLADRIP which should be used sparingly to make the most of it's awesomeness.

I guess SLADWALL made an impact by the use of it in ep1 and e3m3 of ultimate doom, I just like it. :)

Cybershark said:

Ah yeah sure, it's E1M5 in lesion2

Sweet. Looked at the rest of the maps in there and they kind of suck, no offense. :P

That one in particular is pretty nice, and although that's a good texture I don't think it's quite "entire map" good. But I really like the ruins look of that map, though. Good inspiration. :)

Enjay said:

My problem with MARBLE1 etc is the faxct that it is the default texture in DeePsea, which is the editor that I use. So, to me, MARBLE1 always looks like a texture from an unworked on or unfinished part of the map.

For this reason, I like setting "-" as the default texture.

STAR**** series, BROWN1, MARBGRAY, STONE4-7, PIPEWAL*, COMPSPAN, COMPBLUE.

If I had to choose an absolute favorite, it would probably be MARBGRAY.

Edit: Forgot the why part.

STAR****: I couldn't picture a techbase without these. There are lots of other textures I'd miss (SUPPORT2, COMP****, etc.), but these are the most important.

BROWN1: If the STAR series makes techbase interiors, this texture alone can handle exteriors.

MARBGRAY: My favorite hell texture. Doom has too much green marble, not enough gray.

STONE4-7: This is one of the most versatile textures in the game. It works great just about anywhere.

PIPEWAL*: I just "discovered" this texture, and I think it works very well in a lot of places. It looks a lot better than the other pipe textures.

COMPSPAN: Nice black texture that works just about anywhere.

COMPBLUE: One of the best "filler" textures for techbases.

Torn said:

I guess SLADWALL made an impact by the use of it in ep1 and e3m3 of ultimate doom, I just like it. :)

I like SLADWALL as long as it's in Doom 1. With no more skulls or slime drains, they're mundane in Doom 2.

I like the clean STARGR and the nice SHAWN2, because I like white metal stuff in shooter games. They make the game look like Star Wars.

All the marble textures and GSTONE1 and its offspring. There are not that many doom textures that I dislike, STEPTOP would probably be the most ugly doom texture. I never use it in my maps.

COMPBLUE is my personal favorite - I just love the color blue, it's got a great pattern to it, and I've always wanted to build a whole map out of blue textures.

GRAYDANG, just because it's so rare (what was it used, once or twice in E2M6?)...

And the STAR* series, probably because of its association with E1 (even though I think some of the BROWN* textures were used more).

METAL2. just because it's easy to work with and is such an appealing color. But I like maps with BRONZE as the color theme.

For IWADs, these days I really like startan. Though I like brown1 and brown96 too.

My favourite textures to work with are in nimrod though. The grittier ones in there look awesome, as do alot of the TOKE ones.

I like how NUKE24, NUKEDGE1, and NUKEPOIS make green slime look like it's glowing. Honestly, having an all-purpose texture that you can make a nice map with is awesome, but I can't really think of one. Maybe because I'm not really a good mapper. The nukage textures may not be all-purpose, but they did have a nice effect, in my opinion. I'm not sure if they're my favorite, but they're still pretty awesome.

I might have chosen some hell texture, but the problem with them is the palette ruins red colors. I don't know what whoever made the palette was thinking when they decided the red should fade to brown.