Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does anybody like/want to play such crazy levels in nuts style? This level is BOOM compatible and has 8888 monsters on one big open arena. It's very easy and fun. Can be finished even in tyson mode with 100% kills.

Wooow, that looks pretty epic. I like the looks of that giant building, looks pretty evil.

Heh, I have even less hope that it'll work, from experience with Nuts. It might be smart to upload demos of such maps to YouTube or the like so people on weaker systems can watch the action too.

The Green Herring said:

I wonder if my computer can run this level!

You need core2 or similar and glboom-plus (with complevel 9 or at least help_friends 0 in cfg) for 100+ fps. All other ports have troubles with framerate. At least in first minute of fighting. GZDoom is slow there (about 5 fps in first 30 sec after shooting)

myk said:

Heh, I have even less hope that it'll work, from experience with Nuts.

Do you still have problems with nuts on your hardware? It's 150fps+ (timedemo) for me with glboom+ and 3 years old hardware. I think it's absolutely playable even with Pentium 4

entryway said:
Do you still have problems with nuts on your hardware? It's 150fps+ (timedemo) for me with glboom+ and 3 years old hardware.

Yeah, mine is 8 years old and wasn't state of the art when I bought it. I could try it on a friend's computer, but I'm generally on this archaic thing.

entryway said:

Does anybody like/want to play such crazy levels in nuts style?

Haha, I never knew nuts caught on as a mapping style. This looks pretty cool, so remind me to play it in a few years when I buy a new computer for DOOM 4 (if DOOM 4 is any better than DOOM 3 at least).

Anyways, the reason we'd want to use GLBoom rather than a software-based renderer is that software renderers are slow at rendering huge amounts of sprites, right?

entryway said:

You need core2 or similar and glboom-plus (with complevel 9 or at least help_friends 0 in cfg) for 100+ fps. All other ports have troubles with framerate. At least in first minute of fighting. GZDoom is slow there (about 5 fps in first 30 sec after shooting)

Do you still have problems with nuts on your hardware? It's 150fps+ (timedemo) for me with glboom+ and 3 years old hardware. I think it's absolutely playable even with Pentium 4

Holy crap, i remember you saying that nuts.wad was 60+, but i thought you merely referred to when you were looking at all the sprites, not with the monsters provoked. I just tried it with -complevel 9 and the framerate stays up. That is amazing!

Mike.Reiner said:

Holy crap, i remember you saying that nuts.wad was 60+, but i thought you merely referred to when you were looking at all the sprites, not with the monsters provoked. I just tried it with -complevel 9 and the framerate stays up. That is amazing!

Oh my, you're right.

I just beat nuts.wad!

Me too! First time I ever finished Nuts.wad without cheating. Why does using -complevel 9 speed things up so much? I was using the software renderer, so it can't be specific to the GL renderer.

The Green Herring said:

PrBoom+ does, too, until I enter the second half of the level and have 65,535 arch-vile flames lighting up my screen.

I used PrBoom+ but set it to GL. Is that the same thing?

PrBoom+ and GLBOOM+ are somewhat one in the same, but they have their own executables. Just run the glboom-plus.exe, not prboom-plus.exe.

Mike.Reiner said:

PrBoom+ and GLBOOM+ are somewhat one in the same, but they have their own executables. Just run the glboom-plus.exe, not prboom-plus.exe.

Okay, that's what I thought. I use PrBoom+ because I don't like the fruity numbers or the texture filtering, and I can't figure out how to turn them off.

DuckReconMajor said:

Okay, that's what I thought. I use PrBoom+ because I don't like the fruity numbers or the texture filtering, and I can't figure out how to turn them off.

Colored numbering: Escape>Options>Status Bar/HUD>set use red numbers to YES.

To adjust filtering:
Options>General>Left arrow 5 times>Set all texture modes to NONE.

Mike.Reiner said:

Colored numbering: Escape>Options>Status Bar/HUD>set use red numbers to YES.

To adjust filtering:

Thanks! I saw the "Filter for" options and was frustrated that there was no "none" option, and I didn't think to look further than that.

Some nice stuff in here. I feel pretty dumb now.

DuckReconMajor said:

Thanks! I saw the "Filter for" options and was frustrated that there was no "none" option, and I didn't think to look further than that.

Some nice stuff in here. I feel pretty dumb now.

I remember at one point i was trying to figure out how to turn off the colored numbering and I was just going through the config file and it drove me nuts that i couldn't figure it out.. then lo and behold the option was there in the setup section. Felt so dumb.

arrrgh said:

Why does using -complevel 9 speed things up so much? I was using the software renderer, so it can't be specific to the GL renderer.

It depends from "help_friends" variable from cfg. For Boom and lower complevels it is forced to 0. Set it to 0 in cfg and you will have good speed with any complevels.

Mike.Reiner said:

To adjust filtering:

I strongly recommend to use MIPMAP mode instead of NONE for all pixels lovers. In MIPMAP mode you will not have moires on distance. For example, quake2 uses mip levels for software renderer ALWAYS. I did implement mipmapping for prboom-plus, but it is not finished/released yet. You can compare:

http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/mip0.png
http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/mip1.png

http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/mip0_1.png
http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/mip1_1.png

http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/mip0_2.png
http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/mip1_2.png

http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/mip0_3.png
http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/mip1_3.png

In GL mode it is better a lot of course, because it is not limited with 256 colors

andrewj said:

entryway, do you use error diffusion on your software mipmaps?

Nope. What is that?

Currently it is something like:

R_ResampleTexture(...)
{
  r += in[(j * inwidth + i) * 4 + 1];
  g += in[(j * inwidth + i) * 4 + 2];
  b += in[(j * inwidth + i) * 4 + 3];
  color = ((b/count) << 24) + ((g/count) << 16) + ((r/count) << 8);
}

R_ResampleTexture(...);
data[i] = RGB2PAL[(buf[pos + 3] << 16) + (buf[pos + 2] << 8) + (buf[pos + 1])];
RGB2PAL is 16mb file.

entryway said:

I strongly recommend to use MIPMAP mode instead of NONE for all pixels lovers.

Yeah, I do. I fell in love with MIPMAP when a custom water texture I made aliased horribly when set to horizon, but MIPMAPPIN let me keep my precious pixies while it anti'd my alias too. What's not to love?

Ah, yeah my bad, mipmap is better.

I personally just leave them all at linear and enable HQ resize mode 4x. It doesn't look so blurry then.

myk said:

Yeah, mine is 8 years old and wasn't state of the art when I bought it. I could try it on a friend's computer, but I'm generally on this archaic thing.

How hard is it to come across a bottom of the barrel mobo/cpu/gpu/etc where you are? Because I'm certain that hardware in America about to be thrown away cannot be older than 8 years. Fundraiser to upgrade Miguel's PC? I'd pledge $10 Paypal to get the ball rolling.