Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LexiMax

Doom++ in iPhone's future?

Toucharcade.com has an interview up done with John Carmack and Tom Mustaine regarding their recent iPhone releases. There are a fair number of neat tidbits in the interview concerning their future plans, but one project in particular stands out. John Carmack speaks:

So I like the idea that Doom Classic stays faithful to the original with OpenGL rendered graphics with filtering and a good framerate as well as slightly better sound quality and a number of these things… but it's still essentially the same game with a brand new finely crafted control system on it.

What would be cool is then go ahead and take all the things I'd like to do with it. (And my internal name for this is Doom++.) Where you take all of the art assets and modernize the gameplay in some of the ways we've learned to make better games since then. Make brand new levels, carry a story through it, and do some modern things. We haven't committed to any of this, but Tom would be the perfect guy to run through all this stuff since he has experience all the way back to the original Doom levels.

Could we be getting a new Doom game with classic assets? Full interview text is here.

One more reason to get an ipod touch. Screw the phone and At&t. New art assets would be really cool. I enjoyed the updates that midway gave the doom monsters in doom 64, and would be equally excited if they took the same approach here.

LordTyphoon said:

I'd be down with this if it was also gonna be available for PC.

I don't have, and will never have, an iPhone. :(

Same here!

Quote:
We haven't committed to any of this, but Tom would be the perfect guy to run through all this stuff since he has experience all the way back to the original Doom levels.

I thought he was talking about Tom Hall at first. That would have been a bit awkward.

esselfortium said:

I'd like to know the same thing.

Same here (music department).

BlackFish said:

Neat, but the link below is even more interesting.
iPhone Tyrian!!!!

scrolling down the front page also reveals Doom Resurrection gameplay, the graphics look better than what we've seen from the screens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t67QravCrbE&

that Doom 3 iphone demo looks dull. I assumed it would be awesome but i still think the gameplay looked boring.

Bucket said:

Doom with the Megaman 9 treatment? Yes please.

This is the best description ever.I'm so glad that the Wii, iphone, and other download services let companies like CAPCOM and id to rerelease old and even new *crosses fingers* games in a classic style and manner of the originals. For years it was seen as financial suicide to do such a thing. Turns out that with the iPhone, plus the convenience of download services, you could lower dev and production costs to the point that they could take that risk. And I'm so glad they did, because retro has proven to be quite the goldmine.

Plus the games are cheaper to produce, so it's cheaper for the consumer, and thus more can gain an incentive to buy it.

Which is why I hope Carmack will consider a PC version, if he does, in fact, do this.

And I would buy that thing in a heartbeat.

Not to sound ungrateful, a new classic doom game would be crazy but... Doesn't id have better things to do than to keep on creating ports of their old games almost 16 years later?

Doesn't id have better things to do than to keep on creating ports of their old games almost 16 years later?

id is no longer such a small company in terms of employees, and they have been expanding. They've already been doing projects like this without cutting into the Rage and Doom4 teams' time, and knowing Carmack, idtech5 is already well established and solid in their pipeline, and thus he is free to take a few hours a week to guide these projects, which are being handled by Mustaine and co.

Csonicgo said:

Which is why I hope Carmack will consider a PC version, if he does, in fact, do this.

And I would buy that thing in a heartbeat.

ME TOO!

oh please oh please oh please...

Where you take all of the art assets and modernize the gameplay in some of the ways we've learned to make better games since then.

I guess its just me that found "modern" games and their gameplay an absolute bore.

And making new levels? The best levels I've ever played on any game have been made by this community. If I were Carmack I'd bundle the best community DooM levels from the past 15 years and market it as the best game ever.

HackNeyed said:

ME TOO!

oh please oh please oh please...

If you have a PC that can run Doom 3 with a good framerate, then why would you want too play a shitty rail shooter version of Doom 3 with shitty visuals when you can simply play the actual Doom 3?

Ganymede said:

I guess its just me that found "modern" games and their gameplay an absolute bore.

And making new levels? The best levels I've ever played on any game have been made by this community. If I were Carmack I'd bundle the best community DooM levels from the past 15 years and market it as the best game ever.

In case you forgot, there was this little thing called Doom 2: The master levels. And it sucked fat monkey balls.

hardcore_gamer said:

If you have a PC that can run Doom 3 with a good framerate, then why would you want too play a shitty rail shooter version of Doom 3 with shitty visuals when you can simply play the actual Doom 3?

In case you forgot, there was this little thing called Doom 2: The master levels. And it sucked fat monkey balls.

It's good to see that you didn't read either of the posts you were replying to at all, or the thread itself for that matter. Good job!!

esselfortium said:

It's good to see that you didn't read either of the posts you were replying to at all, or the thread itself for that matter. Good job!!

+1

esselfortium said:

I have been keeping an eye on this thread for some time, and i did read both posts.

It's good too see your throwing around baseless accusations. Good job!!

EDIT: I turns out i was reading the wrong thread.

I guess i should feel pretty awkward right now.......

What i said about The master levels still stands thought.

I was thinking of something snarky to say here, but I can't beat the custom title.

Since iDoom is based on PrBoom, the modifications made to it for Doom++ will naturally be GPL I'm going to assume.

Thus if it is possible to get one's hands on the resources (IWAD etc.), then the community can take care of porting the enhancements back to the PC.

This probably means all of us port programmers are going to end up with another game to support O_O

::gets crackin' on the Hexen stuff::

Yeah, if they do need mappers, Scuba Steve and esselfortium would definitely be assets, especially taking into account what Carmack is considering.