Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
40oz

Experimental Texture Themes

In this thread we throw up some a pair of texture ideas to combine in hopes of creating something that looks good and we don't see enough of in doom maps. Don't do something really generic like "METAL2 and BROWN96!!!"

Sometimes I wanna turn every kind of texture theme into a tech map. TEKWALL4 is a necessity for turning something into a tech map. I wonder if you could combine TEKWALL4 with wood textures to have a weird wooded tech base (particularly the wood textures with the metal borders and rivets)

I've also wondered if TEKWALL4 would look any good with marble and GSTONE textures. Maybe throw some green STARTAN textures in there to tech it up a little more.

Another thing I'd like to try sometime is using CEMENT textures, since they don't really have any precise dimensions to them, you never really see them. I think using them with ICKWALL textures might come out pretty good.

Any other ideas for weird texture combos? Post some screenshots if you did any experiments yourself, or weird combos that you've seen that came out really good.

JohnnyRancid said:

I've also wondered if TEKWALL4 would look any good with marble and GSTONE textures. Maybe throw some green STARTAN textures in there to tech it up a little more.

Well, I just had to try it out, it's not too bad if I may say so myself.

That's a very scary looking techbase. GSTONE, marble and tech actually do have potential :) I'll keep that in mind.

Hey, very nice! Certainly at that level of lighting.

Oh man... I am always making mods of graphics (as a substitute for having no artistic flair of my own). Maybe not quite what you're looking for but one texture I just had to make was... COMPWOLF, a subtle reimagining of the original Doom texture:

That came out of me once going crazy texturising one of Hellbent's GreenwarII maps and deciding that an E1-vs-Wolfenstein theme would best suit it.

I think one of my first bastardised textures was putting the green vine patch onto SHAWN2. That was quite refreshing to see. Also I did the same thing but with a ring of the vine textures around the tall tech pillar. Fun stuff.

Kindof related to this, alot of Nick Baker's PWADs in /graphics are recolored and chopped up versions of the original Doom patches and flats.

You could potentially make a level on its side :P

esselfortium said:

A convincingly-done sunken spaceship would have potential for severe awesome.

To me it sounds like a wreck or submarine..

Butts said:

Jungle tech-base?

Scythe 2 had maps like that, and they were very good too.

printz said:

To me it sounds like a wreck or submarine..

Sounds like Duke Nukem 3D's E1M4.

Also Jodwin I'm using that GSTONE/Marbletech theme for a map now.

Jodwin said:

Well, I just had to try it out, it's not too bad if I may say so myself.

I like it. It's interesting that a level with a tech room and a green marble room is is jumbled and nonsensical, while a level with a green marble tech room is aesthetically pleasing.

That's a pretty sweet level, Jodwin. However, there is an HOM in the room through the door right after where the green armor is, where the shotgun guys are on the ledge.

Butts said:

However, there is an HOM in the room through the door right after where the green armor is, where the shotgun guys are on the ledge.

Heh, thanks. I had tested it only prboom-plus, which worked fine. Fixed version uploaded now. :D (good thing I didn't put it on the archives yet)

People who don't experiment with the texture themes as a common practice of their making of maps, fail at level designing.

MIDFLESH

My first and only attempt at texture modification. I needed a 'mid' texture to fit in with a all-flesh themed map.

I want to see a map using primarily carpets. Carpets on the floors, the ceilings, the walls. The lights should be carpeted, the monsters would be carpet zombies, and there would be a super weapon hidden somewhere called the Carpet Bomb. =P

WildWeasel said:

I want to see a map using primarily carpets. Carpets on the floors, the ceilings, the walls. The lights should be carpeted, the monsters would be carpet zombies, and there would be a super weapon hidden somewhere called the Carpet Bomb. =P

Call it Rugburn.

Carpet bomb? Like in the game Worms Armageddon?

And for experimental texture themes, how about an icy forest floating in hell with segments of rusty battleships?