Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoWits

How do I make custom animated textures?

I want to do this on any version of Doom, if possible, not just a source port. I imported a custom texture (three patches in a sequence) but when I implement them into TEXTURE1 and PNAMES I can't seem to make them right: the texture shows up fine, but won't animate. I have named them NUKMON1..3 and the patches NUK1..3 and have put them in the right order. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be great, thanks.

They won't animate because those aren't valid animated texture names that are hardcoded into the engine. The only one I know for sure that exists and isn't in-use is WFALL1-4. I think SLADRIP1-3 is available in Doom II (although it's used in Doom).

Here's a bit more information from a previous post of mine. And some more reading.

Ah, thank you. It helped very much and my texture is now animating perfectly. One question though - in Chocolate Doom the texture looks like this:

Any suggestions why?

Also see if you set up the textures correctly. Typical Doom only supports textures wide by powers of 2.

Note that all ports should support BOOM animated textures, through the ANIMATED lump, which is generated by a SWANTBLS.EXE application that reads a text file called DEFSWANI.INI. They can be taken from the TeamTNT website.

So, use ZenNode. I don't know yet, as I'm on my laptop, but I'll tell you tomorrow what the results are. Thanks!

printz said:
Note that all ports should support BOOM animated textures,

In English, "all Boom compatible ports" isn't the same as "all ports."

myk said:

In English, "all Boom compatible ports" isn't the same as "all ports."

And I said "should", not nothing, but also forgot about Chocolate Doom. Still, when one thinks of Doom ports, thinks of enhancements. Choco is like a Doom.exe version for current operating systems in this respect.

Should means either that they better do so, or one judges they all likely do. Neither applies to Chocolate Doom, which by principle will not support such a feature.

printz said:
Still, when one thinks of Doom ports, thinks of enhancements.

Not necessarily, and not when they speak clearly. While "source port" can be used in general, definitely not excluding things like WinDoom or Chocolate Doom, I'd say the term is more suitable for something like Chocolate Doom, or those ports that make sure the game works on some hand-held and such, than source mods that concentrate much on adding editing features. Chocolate's whole and very purpose is to port the engine to different operating systems. Thus it can be seen as the "Doom port" par excellence. Many others concentrate more on adding things than making sure it works on various platforms. ZDoom, for example, is mainly a Windows engine, ported once, excluding occasional less supported builds for a few other environments.

To make a parallel, you have the difference between a copy and a derivative work. In one case, it's pretty much the same thing reiterated somewhere else (simply a port) and on the other an alteration of the original (a mod).