Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CyberBaron

Custom Monsters Won't Work

This is probably going to sound stupid, but here it goes:

I have no idea how to import custom monsters to Doom Builder 2. I downloaded the custom monster WADs from the Beastiary, unzipped the files, and set Doom Builder 2 to use them as resources. They show up as objects I can add in DB2, and have the proper names and thumbnails, but when I go into View Mode they just show up as a red diamond-shaped sign with an exclamation on it. What am I doing wrong?

Mr. Chris said:

Are you loading the WAD files when testing?

I have them set in the "Load these files" box that you get when you start a new map. Do they need to be put on in a specific ordor, or do I need to put the somewhere different?

Ribo Zurai said:

You must merge those monsters to your WAD using XWE, them you can add them using the Doom Builder.

Where do I get/how do I use XWE?

CyberBaron said:

Where do I get/how do I use XWE?

The download I guess you can find in this website in section "Utilities".

To use it, first you open your WAD in the XWE, then go File -> Merge,
then you select the WAD you want to mix with yours. Then, you open the decorates to see which ID each monster/item/weapon uses to insert them in your map.

Little note; The current official release version of DB2 has a bug that prevents PK3 files from being added to the testing launch parameters. This could cause you to "lose" your custom resources you added when testing your map. You can see this bug when you open your map in DB2 and go over to the testing settings (Tools -> Game Configurations -> (select your config) -> Testing tab) and check the "Customize Parameters" box to see a preview of the final parameters. This bug will be fixed with the next official version.

Shoot. Those instructions did not work. I used XWE, and merged my new wad file with a monsters resource wad but, it's not adding it after I used the monster's ID with the newly created thing. I get a red diamond with an exclamation mark in it.

Carniverous Goat said:

Shoot. Those instructions did not work. I used XWE, and merged my new wad file with a monsters resource wad but, it's not adding it after I used the monster's ID with the newly created thing. I get a red diamond with an exclamation mark in it.

Oh dear. Maybe somebody more skilled than us can make a utility for this, because it sounds like it's a real problem for many people.

Carniverous Goat said:

G/ZDoom obviously can't find the sprites. If this is occuring when testing from within Doom Builder - check for the bug CodeImp described or consider installing the latest release. When adding monsters, were you selecting them from the "Decorate" group or typing in their thing numbers? Are the sprites visible in DB2's preview pane?