Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyka

What other Games do Hardcore Doomers Play?

I am sure this has been done before, but was just curious as to what other games besides Doom (if any) other Doomers play when they are not playing/mapping/making useful addons/sourceports for Doom.

(By games, I mean PC or Platform games, as opposed to card games/board games/role playing games/bedroom games/mind games etc. We don't need to hear about those.)

Over the last year I have played:

Regularly:
Dawn of war (Dark Crusade + Soulstorm) (LAN and Internet Multiplayer.)

Occasionally/Once: (As in finish Single player Campaign etc)
COD4 Multiplayer. (LAN)
Company of Heroes Multiplayer (LAN)
Team Fortress II (Online)
STALKER (SP)
Battlefield Bad Company. (LAN)
Heretic (SP campaign as well as SotSR)
Quake 3 Arena (LAN)
Quake 4 SP
Left For Dead (LAN)
Probably a few others that I can't think of right now.

Might and Magic RPGs (1-8) are as influential and important to me as classic doom so they get played alot. Diablo 2 (co-op mostly these days), Neverwinter Nights, Morrowind, id's other titles, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Master of Orion 2 and HoMM3 are frequently played.

Garrysmod
Battlezone 2
World in Conflict

And sometimes Sins of a Solar Empire (but I haven't in a long while...).

I also play Quake 1-3 and the few games made with the Doom engine. I really don't play a lot of other games besides Doom.

Castlevania games
Command & Conquer (Gold w/ Covert Ops)
C&C Red Alert 1
Ultima Online on a free server
Capcom and SNK fighters and Guilty Gear X on Dreamcast
8-bit Nintendo games

I'm pretty much a console gamer, so all the games that I list here are on consoles:

Quake and Quake 2
Duke Nukem 3D
Hexen
Wolfenstein 3D
Mortal Kombat Series
Any Pro wrestling game

And a various array of games on SNES, N64, PSX, and Saturn. As you can tell, I'm an old school gamer only. :)

(In no particular order)

Postal 2
Portal
The Suffering
The Suffering 2: Ties that Bind
Battlefield 1942 (I have the WWII Anthology edition)
Puzzle Quest/Puzzle Kingdoms
Wesnoth
Warcraft/Warcraft 2
Old arcade and console games (I also have real Famiclones)
Mid-90s DOS games

Used to (obviously there are more games that I've tried, but these I've played "seriously" but not for a long time anymore):
Age of Kings & Age of Mythology
Warlords Battlecry 2 and 3
Puzzle Quest & Puzzle Kingdoms
Postal 2
Diablo 2 (Eastern Sun)
Sacred
Neverwinter Nights (mods or SoU+HotU, not original)
Deus Ex
Fable
Morrowind
HoMM 3
Settlers 2
Caesar 3
Rondo of Swords
Jagged Alliance Deadly Games & 2
Fallout 1 & 2

Still occasionally play:
Settlers of Catan (online)
NES Mega Mans
Grand Prix Circuit (an ancient F1 sim)
Titan Quest
Battle for Wesnoth
Audiosurf
Mountain of Faith

Still play:
Doom
Melty Blood
Bleach DS 2
Visual novels <3

Currently, I'm not playing anything else, but normally I play any FPS game. I also seriously played any Tekken style fighting game, Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls, and Civilization.

Edit: Oh yeah, I was addicted as fuck to World of Warcraft in like 2005/6 and early 2008.

Rock Band (drums only) and Dance Dance Revolution. I also still play Quake 3 and Starcraft from time to time.

If I'm not careful, I also get addicted to mahjong games quite easily. Real mahjong, not that tile matching crap.

Games I still play now and then; C&C Yuri's Revenge, Anarchy Online, Final Fantasy, Flatout 2, Flatout: Ultimate Carnage (my favourite racing game :) ), Diablo 2, Civilization 4, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Doom, Quake 1, Quake 2, Duke Nukem 1 - 3, Battlefield 1942, Geometry Wars, Dark Forces, Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, Portal, Half Life 2, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars and probably a lot more. Those just came off the top of my head right now.

I'm currently addicted to SimCity 4. (I've done the same to every past game in the series, too. Same with Railroad Tycoon and Age Of Empires.) It's been a month or so, but I had been playing quite a bit of Quake Live too (and Quake 3 years ago).

As for Wii games, there's Mario Kart, Wii Sports (particularly bowling) and Tiger Woods PGA Tour (which is weird since I don't care much for golf in real life). But these I rarely play alone, they're almost always with other people (and beer).

Oh, and I once had the Amulet in Nethack. Haven't played that in years, though...

recently:

doom -- always

extensively modded fallout 3 -- fun to play but i've been spending more time modding it in my attempt to turn it into 3-D fallout 2

fallout -- this one's fun to speedrun

bioshock -- i actually rather like this game

super metroid -- one of my favorite games. i run through it every few months

super mario world -- crack cocaine

super mario 3 -- see above

super mario galaxy -- fun but mario's voice fills me with dread

mike tyson's punchout!! -- trying to beat tyson, i don't know how i did it as a kid

drunk halo 3 multiplayer on a projection screen over a concert PA system after our venue closes at 3am -- you have to admit that this scenario sounds fun (it is)

starcraft 2 beta -- har har har (i am afraid of this game)

I play lots of shit besides Doom, including:

Spelunky
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Quake 4
Quake 2
Quake
Killzone 2
TES 4: Oblivion GOTY Edition

Plus a crap load of PS2, some PS1, and three N64 games I have.

Since this laptop has an inferior IGP, I cannot play the stacks of shooter games (and a few RPGs) in my desk right now..

I do play Smash Brothers Brawl still to this day...not daily but am still racking up the KO count every time I do.

At the moment I play a lot of Diablo 2, Half-Life 2, SSB:Brawl, Final Fantasy III and V, and Anarchy Online.

I play a hell of alot of games in my time.. but more Recently I play

Soul Calibur 4(Xbox 360)

Smackdown vs Raw 2009(Xbox 360)

Grand theft Auto 4(Xbox 360)

Quake(PC)

Duke Nukem 3D(PC)

Doom 3(Xbox)

Quake 4(Xbox 360)

Star wars Knights of the old Republic(Xbox)

Star wars Battlefront 2(Xbox)

So yeah.. a Mixture of different type of games recently.. but I own 2 huge boxes full of Video Games.

Mostly just games and demos on my PS3:
Metal Gear Solid 4, along with the rest of the series
Street Fighter 4

Old School RPGS:
FF Anthology and Chronicles

On PC:
Quake 1,2,3, and 4
Diablo 2
and of course World of Warcraft :/

There are other games?

Depends on my mood.. You can generally see me messing around with:
The Fallout series (including 3, which I really liked despite it being nothing like its predecessors)
Blood (my favorite Build game)
Command and Conquer series
All the MGS games
Infamous (awesome game, don't care what anyone says!)
Hellgate: London (obviously just the SP, which I find to be great for my laptop)
Diablo 2
Final Fantasy in general

Can't really think of anything else at the moment, Doom really is mostly all I play anymore.

Some of the games I play are random...

Diablo 2 (Modded- Blazing Fire)
Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Complete Edition (Orig with 2 exp)
Champions of Norrath (PS2)
Super Smash Brothers series (all 3 in my room, N64 GC Wii)
Starfox (SNES) and Assault (GC)
Counter-Strike: Source
Team Fortress 2 (PC)
Garry's Mod
Pokemon: Sapphire/Ruby (GBA)
Crash Team Racing (PS1)
Perfect Dark (N64)
Super Mario World (SNES)
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Fourswords Adventures, Twilight Princess
Mario Kart Wii, Double Dash (GC), and DS

Wasn't there a kind of thread like this a few months back?

It's been quite a while since I played anything but Doom, but I usually play crap old 90s DOS games and 8/16-bit emulator games.

Things like Syndicate, System Shock, Stunts, OMF2097, Duke 3D, Ultima Underworld, Street Rod. Every few years I'll play through an adventure like DOTT or Space Quest or one of the Indiana Jones games. I'm also a fan of Elite on NES and Pokemon on Gameboy Color. Sometimes I'll give Tekken, GTA San Andreas or Dynasty Warriors a bash on PS2, but not often.

And pretty I've finished Diablo 1 more times than I have eaten dinner.

Besides the other games I listed, I recently played through a couple pretty good games. I really liked Mass Effect and am looking forward to the sequel, and Dead Space was probably my favorite SP experience of 2008 (yeah, I said it). I finally got around to finishing Bioshock, which was pretty good I guess but really I didn't see the big deal. It was just System Shock 2 with more ammo and not scary.

Oooh, and I forgot to mention Painkiller in my last post! Painkiller is actually one of my favorite games of all time, and I still play it quite a bit.

I don't play games as much as I'd like. I find that I am incredibly, insanely picky when it comes to games. 99% of the time if I can't figure out the controls right away (within, say, 20 minutes at least) I never play it again. I'm sure I've missed out on some good games because of that (I'm looking at you Shadow of the Collossus!), but a game should work with you--not against you!

To be honest, although I've been playing Doom pretty much since it came out, I haven't really been that much into FPSs until recent years. A lot of that, though, has to do with the fact that I've had really shitty computers until now, and most fast paced games have been unplayable. Still, I have been almost as obsessed with the Half-Life series as I have with Doom, and I enjoy most of the BUILD games. Absolutely love Blood, and no one can hate Duke3d. Had lots of good memories with Redneck Rampage too!

I've always been a little more into RPGs, but I'm still really picky. My favorite series of all time is definitely Fallout. I've played most of the Final Fantasy games and they're pretty decent. Favorite console/jrpg is by far Star Ocean: The Second Story. First Star Ocean is pretty good too, though I didn't care for the third. And I'm a little pissed that the fourth one is a 360 exclusive. Fuck you too Squenix!

I've been procrastinating like crazy with Oolite; a modern freeware remake of Elite that allows for lots of user generated content. It's got a bit of a learning curve, but once you get hooked...

Also Modded STALKER and Modded Fallout 3 with some DLC, and the odd bit of IL-2 Sturmovik 1946.

Am I the only one kind of pissed about the Fallout PC DLC only being available through Windows Live? Why can't I just pay for the fucking expansion outright, rather than paying $12 for 1000 points to get an 800 point item? Windows Live marketplace is a fucking scam.

Sure, sure, I could just pirate it, but I actually like Bethesda and don't mind giving my money to them. I'm sure as hell not giving my money to the shysters behind WLM.

Putting off Fallout 3 as it's sort of slow in terms of actually getting somewhere, heh. I like Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I also have Prototype, which is a fun murder-fest :P
Mass Effect seems fun, but I can't get into it as quickly as my friend could. I want to get back into Duke Nukem 3D as I never got very far in the game. I want to figure out how to get Dark Forces to work on this PC and beat Jedi Outcast since that's a very good game, at least in my eyes, I do wish I had co-op in the PC version, though. I also need to get back into playing Heretic II, I got far, but then the game oddly deleted my save game which frustrated me to no end. I've also been looking for Tales of Vesperia, which I really want to play.

Nomad said:
Am I the only one kind of pissed about the Fallout PC DLC only being available through Windows Live? Why can't I just pay for the fucking expansion outright, rather than paying $12 for 1000 points to get an 800 point item? Windows Live marketplace is a fucking scam.

Sure, sure, I could just pirate it, but I actually like Bethesda and don't mind giving my money to them. I'm sure as hell not giving my money to the shysters behind WLM.

I brought the DLC off the shelf at my local EB.

That's technically not DLC then. :P

And it looks like only Operation Anchorage and The Pitt are avialable on hard copy right now.

I don't really need the discs, though. Why cant they offer it in a more ubiquitous manner? I'm sure Amazon could do it or something

Bah. whatever.