Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

What is the weirdest bug you have ever encountered in a Doom WAD?

What the tittle says. What is the weirdest bug you have ever encountered in a Doom WAD?

For me it was when i was playing this one level, and i pressed a switch that lowered a floor area in front of me. But instead of just lowering a little it actually kept on forever until i could not even see the bottom anymore.

What's the weirdest bug you have ever seen?

I found an unaligned texture in a map in Memento Mori 2, I forget what map it was but it was somewhere between map11-map19. The texture was on a wall where there were no changes in floor or ceiling height, it wasn't a secret door or anything, but it was not aligned for apparently no reason at all. I honestly have no idea how it could have happened other than the mapper intentionally not aligning the texture.

Once I was playing AV26 and all of the sudden this giant wasp-like mosquito-like bug flew on my screen. It was like 2 inches and freaked the shit out of me. I fucked it's shit up with a towel though.

JohnnyRancid said:

I found an unaligned texture in a map in Memento Mori 2, I forget what map it was but it was somewhere between map11-map19. The texture was on a wall where there were no changes in floor or ceiling height, it wasn't a secret door or anything, but it was not aligned for apparently no reason at all. I honestly have no idea how it could have happened other than the mapper intentionally not aligning the texture.

That just sounds like the author not bothering to align his textures properly, it's not really a bug.

Bugs are things or events that are not suppose to happen.

Once the colours went all rainbowy and flanjy. Like just before you quit, but perpetually.

It was in doom95 which sux so what do you expect?

hardcore_gamer said:

For me it was when i was playing this one level, and i pressed a switch that lowered a floor area in front of me. But instead of just lowering a little it actually kept on forever until i could not even see the bottom anymore.

Did you check the map in Doom Builder? If it was something like "raise floor and change texture and type", then the raising floor was blocked, so due to a mistake, instead of waiting, it returned down at a lower speed, without stopping ever.

This was more of an engine than a WAD bug, but playing FORGEX.WAD on my DOS rig back in 1995 (I was still using Doom v1.1) caused a bug that somehow managed to remove the IDDQD cheat in the last, underground room, and kill the player.

Maes said:

This was more of an engine than a WAD bug, but playing FORGEX.WAD on my DOS rig back in 1995 (I was still using Doom v1.1) caused a bug that somehow managed to remove the IDDQD cheat in the last, underground room, and kill the player.

E1M8-style damaging exit sectors remove god mode. (but not invuln)

The Ultimate DooMer said:

E1M8-style damaging exit sectors remove god mode. (but not invuln)

Yeah, forgot about that one. The weird thing is that the author used sector effect 11 for the last room in both versions of his WAD (I have both the newer one in the archives, and the older one with the ripped sound effects, so 1994ish!), even though they are a year apart. I recall dying without ending the level though...so I probably never died on one of the effect-11 zones, but I just was stripped of IDDQD before dying by something else.

Butts said:

Once I was playing AV26 and all of the sudden this giant wasp-like mosquito-like bug flew on my screen. It was like 2 inches and freaked the shit out of me. I fucked it's shit up with a towel though.

Thanks for my lol for the day ;)

I actually found a lighting adjacency change behavior this week that's different in PrBoom than in ZDoom. Graf Zahl explained this is because ZDoom checks one sector for light changes the way Vanilla does, whereas PrBoom checks all affected sectors.

Though I think the weirdest is the monster things stuck in walls on v1.9 of DOOM2.WAD MAP02. I mean seriously wtf, did anyone even playtest those changes? Map officially ruined.

I remember I somehow got outside into the open near the chainsaw at the start of MAP01 in Doom 2.

I shot the wall that has a missing lower texture and it crashed my computer. I was 10 at the time so I had nightmares of the missing texture screwing me over in my dream.

If you're using a sofware renderer and there's a reaaaaly long wall, due to imprecision in the engine, the wall will appear to jump around. Pretty trippy stuff.

Software renderers have all sorts of imprecisions like that.

If you stand right next to a door, mouselook at the floor then open and close, the floor pixels move around.

I remember once I was screwing around in a map I made for ZDoom and one particular time I opened it and all the colors seems inverted. It was weird.

The weirdest bug I remember noticing was the medusa effect. That sure looked and felt creepy in those buggy 1994 wads.

And than, there were that magazine diskette which were apparently a bunch of BBS wads thrown together to episodes, without their custom textures, sounds, text files, or even honoring the map slots with secret exits. Apparently, they used that buggy tool (I think, it was a broken DEU derived editor) which forgot to save a vertex under certain conditions. The result was the nodes built correctly, so the level appears normal when loaded, but looking on the map reveals that all lines got connected completely wrong which made the maps completely unplayable in a scary way.

Lost Souls trapped inside walls, you can see them but can't shoot them... this was in PSX Doom and is a known bug.

Actually ignore that last one, I was playing doom 2 on the psx and on one particular level the screen went black and it said something in white text at the top corner of the screen. The message I can't quite remember it was something to the equivalent of "maximum sprites cache limit reached" or something, basically I think there were too many monsters for the system to handle.

Time to mention my obscure discovery from the mid-90's again:

E3M5. Go to the bfg room, noclip into one of the teleport traps, stand in front of the sector that lowers to allow the monsters out (which happens to have an untagged Floor: S1 down to lowest floor linedef) and press use. Et voila, large parts of the map transformed. Doesn't work on ZDoom.

Has anyone encountered a mysterious bug yet? The only strange one I met was that blocked-raising-platform return. But anything else that wasn't documented but could be reproduced in a wad? Because I haven't. I know the original engine so well by experience so I often know why problems happen.

I've seen so many weird bugs that it's really hard to single any out. Nonetheless, I just encountered the following error, which I don't remember seeing before:

P_CrossSubsector: ss 2147450878 with numss = 487
Being that I was firing an SSG over a large pile of dead imps (in wtf-pnsh.wad), I'm pretty sure it happened due to a intercepts overflow. That in itself wasn't strange, just the error message, as most intercepts overflows either crash the game or cause the all-ghosts bug (which I experienced once in this WAD today).

The Doom wiki says this error shouldn't occur in the error message article. It only happened because the program went nuts with the memory overflow, I'm sure.

In Map02 of Freedoom, jumping onto a barrel on the conveyer - which stops moving - resulting in the rest of the barrels banking up behind it while the ammo, medikit and gibs keep moving.

On the PSX version, I was playing E2M5 on UV, and a pain elemental spit out a lost soul that was stuck to the floor, it could still hit me, but I couldn't kill it, not even with splash damage.

Also on the Saturn version, I was playing E4M1, and in the blue key room, the walls of the room disappeared, letting me see the two chambers of monsters on the side of the room and all of the sky texture.

hardcore_gamer said:

That just sounds like the author not bothering to align his textures properly, it's not really a bug.

Bugs are things or events that are not suppose to happen.

The texture was misaligned vertically. There was no sectors along the texture that was misaligned with a change in height to affect the texture's alignment vertically. Laziness is not the issue here.

I was shooting at a bunch of imps with a chain gun. The game froze and the chain gun sound started playing really fast. I have no idea what happened.

The weirdest bug I ever saw was a combination of dehacked and a level I was making. I decided to screw around with dehacked and try to make a health gun. I set the damage on the plasma gun to negative, and then put a voodoo doll in a level I was making to try it out. Everything just went psychedelic the moment I shot myself.

geekmarine said:

The weirdest bug I ever saw was a combination of dehacked and a level I was making. I decided to screw around with dehacked and try to make a health gun. I set the damage on the plasma gun to negative, and then put a voodoo doll in a level I was making to try it out. Everything just went psychedelic the moment I shot myself.

Care to be more tell us more? Whats psychedelic? Does it mean your game crashed or something?

myk said:

I've seen so many weird bugs that it's really hard to single any out. Nonetheless, I just encountered the following error, which I don't remember seeing before:

P_CrossSubsector: ss 2147450878 with numss = 487
Being that I was firing an SSG over a large pile of dead imps (in wtf-pnsh.wad), I'm pretty sure it happened due to a spechits overflow. That in itself wasn't strange, just the error message, as most spechit overflows either crash the game or cause the all-ghosts bug (which I experienced once in this WAD today).

The Doom wiki says this error shouldn't occur in the error message article. It only happened because the program went nuts with the memory overflow, I'm sure.

Definitely. Seems that you hit a corruption severe enough to obliterate the value in the "numnodes" variable, which tracks the number of nodes in the BSP tree. This was probably an intercepts overflow, however, and not a spechits overflow, as those occur on mobj motion as opposed to firing of tracers.