Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Night-Fang

Hey! What about the level editors?

All these source ports that have surfaced over the years since the release of the Doom source code and yet...no-one has done a new map editor?

Just a random thought...

As far as I know, WadAuthor and DeepSea each have good support for the multitude of (popular) ports out there.

The more programs floating around the better. I'd like to see one specifically made for Zdoom, where you can (for example) make slopes without having to worry about IDs and stuff.

The difference between source ports and editors here, I think, is that source ports tend to be open source (actually they HAVE to) and are build from a good open-source base (originally handed over by iD and improved in consequent ports). Level editors, unfortunately, tend to be closed, so if someone wants to make an editor he'll have to start the work from scratch (or actually from DEU). If the source code for WadAuthor or DeepSea were released, I'm sure we'd see a lot of cool new features and improvements.

If this doesn't persuade you that open source == good, then I don't know what the hell will. YES I'M TALKING TO YOU DEADNAIL! =)

If ANY editor will be open-sourced, it won't be WA or DeePSea.

Maybe DCK or DMapEdit.

If ANY editor will be open-sourced, it won't be WA or DeePSea.

Maybe DCK or DMapEdit.

Let DCK become freeware first...

DCK taught me how to map for Doom, and I still think it's the best editor available. Oh I wish it was windows-native...

I'd like to see one specifically made for Zdoom, where you can (for example) make slopes without having to worry about IDs and stuff.

Well, DeePsea will do that. All you have to do is select the Zdoomhexen project and all the Zdoom specific stuff magically appears in in the menus. The most recent version is right up to the minute and supports Zdoom beta 32 features. AFAIK, it's the only editor to do so.

There is also Zeth, though I've never tried it.

Also XWE (as mentioned) is a new editor in developement as well as supporting data extraction form all sorts of games. As I recall, Loser got a surprisingly luke warm reception on these forums when he first mentioned he was doing an editor.

I've seen screenshots of an editor in the works using SDL but I can't remember if it was a secret project or not, and have no idea if it is likely to be finished.

Fredrik mentioned WadC.

Yeah, I remember that editor that used SDL. It was supposed to be a secret project ran by fraggle. I helped out for a while there and ported the entire thing to Allegro.

Afterwards, it was sent back to fraggle and thats the last I ever saw of it. There is that and there was a editor I worked on for a while back in the day (anyone remember DDE?)

But, the whole point of this is that someone should re-create (or help create) DCK for windows! Since DCK is most likely one of the most favored editors out there, its a shame that here we are in 2002 and no one has created even a base for a DCK-clone editor.

Open source isn't for all projects. ZDOOM is done by ONE coder. The source is there for anyone to use, yet Randy is the one that pushes it forwards to a high standard. IOW, one competent person does more than a swarm of lesser coders. IMO, BOOM was mainly engineered by Lee Killough- think he quit over internal hassles? Sometimes a problem with open source "teams", constant ego battles.

Current example: Is CUBE open source? Why or why not?

Open source isn't for all projects. ZDOOM is done by ONE coder. The source is there for anyone to use, yet Randy is the one that pushes it forwards to a high standard. IOW, one competent person does more than a swarm of lesser coders. IMO, BOOM was mainly engineered by Lee Killough- think he quit over internal hassles? Sometimes a problem with open source "teams", constant ego battles.

No, the point is, you can use an open-source program, even if it's only developed by one person, as a base to create your own. Which, unfortunately, is not the case with level editors. Even though BOOM developer quit, the source code was used many times since then, in totally different projects. Now look at WadAuthor - it has been practically dead for quite some time, because no one but the original developer can do anything with it.

Right, I didn't read carefully. I guess I was thinking of the complexity involved and the typical meaning of open source.

Let's see if I can stick to the point this time:)

You implied that having the source would encourage new level editors. That assumes that someone is going to spend the time to understand what the "other" guy wrote and then spend even more time making modifications for whatever reason.

Windeu is significantly different from DEU. The code is there for the taking. Yet nobody every did anything with it. Making new dialogs is duck soup in Windows. Why didn't anybody do it?