Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duvel

Heretic: Treasure Chest - PLEASE FILL IN SLOTS!

Torn said...
Is that my map? It doesn't sound like that. You are sure it isn't alterz' map you were testing?

I don't think so. There was a map on ler's homepage that was called "gold2.wad" and in Doom Builder it had that slot. I guess I should clarify that in the post.

Hi, I am the creator of the FALSE E1M1. I am actually E1M4 and I will be releasing another unfinished version of my map later today. I have adressed most of those issues...

Episode 1
E1M1: Torn 
E1M6: Aldaraia

Episode 2
E2M2: Wraith
E2M4: Creaphis
E2M7:

Episode 3
E3M1: Fisk
E3M5: Kirby

Episode 4
E4M3: Torn
E4M7: Kirby
E4M8: StoneFrog

Episode 5
E5M3:
E5M4: Maelstrom
E5M5: Magma_Blaz
E5M6: Lich
E5M8: rf`
Okay, I think it is about time to spark life into my old project. Ler, I don't know if you are busy or something?

We also have some free slots, I might take one of them when I am done with my maps. (e1m1 and e4m3 have been done for a long time, but maybe they need updating).

I want to know the status of the maps I have listed, except my own maps of course and rf's map. (I have seen it as he sent me on irc).

But please update on your progress, the mappers for the last levels not finished.

Ismaele said:

What is this list? And where's my contribution to this project?!

It is the unfinished maps.

E3M3: Ismaele (finished, compatible) / Patrick Pineda

I was going to say; E5M8 has been finished for a long time now.

Just popped in quickly to mention that E4M8 is not dead!

I apologize greatly for the time I've been away, but between real life and mapping projects on other engines (I'm not the best when it comes to dedication), I've been away for a while. However, I've been working on E4M8 for the Community Chest and it's making progress. The overall theme and layout has been almost entirely redone since the older WIP screenshots I gave, and it is now more akin to a boss level.

Just a quick two images from DoomBuilder for now as I regret to say the entire map isn't as presentable as that area is just yet. The layout itself is pretty much done, either in the map already or conceptualized in my head.

I'm hoping to have a fully playable from-start-to-finish version of the map done within a week, two weeks tops. I've never done any extensive detailing in a Heretic map before, although the texture resource WAD helps greatly and I'm hoping that this will be a satisfying close to Episode 4. Current names in debate are "The Keep" and "The Fringe".

P.S. That reminds me. Although their naming conventions are correct, custom animated textures (such as WLLBLOD1) do not function correctly. My original intention was to actually use the bloodfalls for the exterior of my map and not the lava, and I'm curious as to if there's any way this can be remedied and still work on a limit-removing port.

Once again, sorry for the inactivity. For a while I was thinking of not even bothering with this project anymore, but this summer's going very slowly and I need something to keep myself entertained.

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

I sign up the project for E2M7. Is it OK?

That should be fine. I'd say start making a map when you have the time. :)

@StoneFrog: The map looks like it's coming along quite nicely. Well done! :)

StoneFrog said:

Looks pretty nice. :)

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

I sign up the project for E2M7. Is it OK?

Well, I haven't seen Ler lately. I would have added you to the slot, but it is not my post. But just start your map. :)

Mapslots will be changed later around so the difficult settings will raise equaly throughout the game.

Progress: I will also say that I have been working on improve my e1m1, so it wasn't so underdetailed. :P

Btw people, I will grab e5m3, the remake of e1m1 is almost done and e4m3 was done a long time ago. Let us finish this project, shall we?
(I really hope to get this released at 23 december this year and if it is up to me it will...)

I really hope it can be released this year. A 3 or 4 episode wad is looking more reasonable considering some of maps I played through that are currently in episode 4. It seems that by the time you get rid of the people who have disappeared as well as the awful maps, you would only be left with 4 episodes at the most. I do apologize for not completing the testing report though, I got very discouraged with this project.

Any MegaWAD for Heretic, regardless of how many episodes (within reason) is still an amazing feat. It's a shame more Heretic projects aren't in the works. I wouldn't say it's more enjoyable than DOOM, but I certainly enjoy its custom maps more than DOOM's. Definitely a lot more variety out there.

Besides. Who had the drive to get through five episodes, anyway? :P

Okay, I did. But I never wanted to again. By the way, are we trying to keep a consistent theme with these episodes? Specifically episodes 4 and 5. Is episode 4 trying to do the "episode 1, but more ancient and hostile" theme like the original? Is episode 5 trying to do "totally random otherworld with slight semblance to episode 3" like its original counterpart?

StoneFrog said:

Okay, I did. But I never wanted to again. By the way, are we trying to keep a consistent theme with these episodes? Specifically episodes 4 and 5. Is episode 4 trying to do the "episode 1, but more ancient and hostile" theme like the original? Is episode 5 trying to do "totally random otherworld with slight semblance to episode 3" like its original counterpart?

Heh, I don't really think that.

I suggested re-ordering the completed maps so, that where possible, every few levels followed some sort of basic, but not rigid, theme to Ler earlier in the thread and privately. It was one of the goals of my unpopular re-organization suggestion, but Ler was dead opposed to the idea.

I got the impression that all he wanted was a collection of "random" maps in a single wad.

Vermil said:

I suggested re-ordering the completed maps so, that where possible, every few levels followed some sort of basic, but not rigid, theme to Ler earlier in the thread and privately. It was one of the goals of my unpopular re-organization suggestion, but Ler was dead opposed to the idea.

I got the impression that all he wanted was a collection of "random" maps in a single wad.

In the end it is pretty much up to me, as I am the original team leader I would guess.

Where is ler anyway? I'm waiting for him to bash me for my inactivity. :P

Also, another question. Remind me how tag 666 functions in vanilla Heretic E#M8 maps. Is it always triggered when all the boss enemies in the map are dead, or is it "All Iron Liches" for E1, "All Maulotaurs" for E2, etc?

Iron Liches for E1M8 and E4M8, Maulotaurs for E2M8 and E5M8. D'sparil for E3M8.

In all cases the tagged sectors will lower to the nearest floor.

My map is fairly non-linear. Not in the sense that there's a lot of areas you don't need to explore (unfortunately), but rather all three keys can be acquired in different orders.

Since this map is in a boss slot, I'm thinking that the passageway to the arena will have three doors - one corresponding to one of the three keys. When you pick up, say, the yellow key, bars will lower to make the blue and green doors inaccessible.

Beyond that yellow door are blue and green ones. The player can choose which one to go through, but once again, it's mutually exclusive with the other. After that there's only one choice remaining.

Depending on which combination of passages you take, you may get a different assortment of goodies before the last battle.

Any suggestions on if this would be enjoyable or not? Should entering one passage immediately seal off the others or should they all be open at the same time (assuming you have the needed keys), making it more of a "pick whichever path you want" deal? Instead of the first key you take closing off the first tier of passages, should it only be based on what doors you take (so a player with a fetish for going through blue doors won't inadvertently seal it off by taking the yellow key)?

Also:

StoneFrog said:

P.S. That reminds me. Although their naming conventions are correct, custom animated textures (such as WLLBLOD1) do not function correctly. My original intention was to actually use the bloodfalls for the exterior of my map and not the lava, and I'm curious as to if there's any way this can be remedied and still work on a limit-removing port.

The project is *******ely interesting... but have the mappers solved the issues Lord_Z pointed some months ago ?

Have some unfinished maps been updated ?

Heh, very doubtful. I think that the people who are left working on this project are going to have to fix any bugs present in the map set :/

Any idea how the "quality control pow-wow" will work out? I've noticed heavy contrasts in everybody's visual style. That can work with or against a community collaboration...

hi nercos20

what you say on page 1 "Hopefully if this is ever complete it'll spark more heretic/hexen related projects around the community. ;)"

I'm making heretic/hexen maps now beacause of you, thanks for saying that.