Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bimlanders

Wolf 3D in dosbox

I try running this game in Dosbox and it's choppy as all hell. I tried to accelerate the speed of the emulation but it didn't seem to do anything. Anyways, it's a shame to not be able to play this classic game, dated as it is. It holds a very special place in history. I remember first playing and thinking, 'this is why the PC is better than home consoles...'

Note: the official dosbox game forum doesn't seem to have anything to say to say about issues with this game. But I figured that Doom fanatics might be able to help. ;)

Strange. I didn't have issues with older versions of DOSBox (0.63) on an Athlon XP 1400+ laptop. In that case, at least 6000-7000 CPU cycles were needed, though. Newest versions have tweaks like a dynamic core and the such. Default memory settings should be OK too...what's your system config, dosbox version, OS etc. ?

Use Ctrl+F12 to increase CPU cycles for the game. Since Wolf3D doesn't run in protected mode DosBox doesn't automatically give it enough cycles, like it does for other applications.

I always use cycles=max. It's known to cause issues with some games, but it works fine for Wolf3D.

Also you might checkout Wolf4SDL for a native port of the game.

I've found that a Pentium III 1GHz is good enough to run Wolf3D flawlessly. Also, be sure that you're using the latest version of DosBox as it has seen some dramatic performance boosts in some releases. And as already mentioned, be sure that you've set the right number of cycles for DosBox to use. This is done in the dosbox.cfg file. Personally, I have a separate .cfg set up for each game.

Quick question, is there a way to cut off vertical mouse movement? I tried running novert but it made the cursor continually go up in the menus.

Yeah, I remember (unintentionally) trying Novert and having that problem. Since a batch always installs Novert into my game DOS prompt, I wasn't even sure what was causing the menu to go bonkers, until somehow I figured it out.

Nonetheless, in Wolf 3D you don't need to run on thin ledges, catwalks and the like as you might need to in DOOM, so the vertical sensitivity shouldn't be such a big problem.

Heh; novert.com was really just made for Doom, its behavior in other programs is unpredictable :P