Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
EllipsusD

Your opinion?

I managed to find a copy of Heretic for really cheap, and so I figured "What the hell..." and I bought it. I just finished it a few minutes ago, and I'm glad I did. I never really liked the first episode so I never gave it a chance, but the second and (to a lesser extent) third episode were great. A little on the easy side (I only had minor trouble with E3M1 and E3M8 on skill 4), but worth the time I put into it. First question: would it be worth my money to buy the expansion pack on E-bay or should I just skip over it? How about Heretic II for that matter?

Second question: This has nothing to do with Heretic or Doom, but with other older games in general. I have a thing for older games: I'm obsessed with playing all the games in a series if I play a later incarnation of the series (I like following series evolution), and since I played SS2 I got the original System Shock. When I try to play it, however, I get an error telling me I am low on memory. All I can think of is that it doesn't like Windows for some reason, but this happens with almost all older games I try to play. Does anybody know how to fix this? (yeah, I know I'm stupid).

I didn't have a problem like this in ages, but I hope this works.

If you have windows that still relies on DOS press F5 at boot up so you're in the DOS prompt thing. Type in the address of the games exe and try playing it. Should work, althought you have skipped the boot up of a lot of things so you might not get any sound or have other problems. I remember solving that problem with pressing F8 insteaod of F5 and then deciding which things were worth the memory sacrifice and which weren't, it was time consuming but it worked. This doesn't alweys work like that with newer machines, for example on this one F5 gives me some wierd shit and F8 does exactly what F5 used to do on older pc's. I don't know, I was like 8 or 10 when I used to play around with this.

I managed to find a copy of Heretic for really cheap, and so I figured "What the hell..." and I bought it. I just finished it a few minutes ago, and I'm glad I did.

You have seen the light.

I never really liked the first episode so I never gave it a chance, but the second and (to a lesser extent) third episode were great. A little on the easy side (I only had minor trouble with E3M1 and E3M8 on skill 4), but worth the time I put into it.

All Heretic epsiodes are good. Repeat after me : all Heretic episodes are good.

First question: would it be worth my money to buy the expansion pack on E-bay or should I just skip over it?

Huh? What? Where? Do you mean episodes 4 and 5? If those didn't come with the Heretic you bought there are patches on Id's website that will open them up for you.

How about Heretic II for that matter?

Feh.

Heretic 2 by all means isn't a terrible game, but it's kind of tedious. There's too much acrobatics and aiming and not enough action.

So if you enjoy spending 15 minutes aiming your fireballs to hit the flying toothpick only to unwittingly backflip off a ledge to your death after finally killing it, then yes, get Heretic 2.

However, when you just get some nice, flat ground to fight on and a good horde of monsters, staff sparring is hella fun.

So on Heretic 2, just get the demo first and see if you like it. Under no circumstances should you just run out and buy it because you like Heretic 1. Frankly, the two are nothing like each other.

First question: would it be worth my money to buy the expansion pack on E-bay or should I just skip over it?

Huh? What? Where? Do you mean episodes 4 and 5? If those didn't come with the Heretic you bought there are patches on Id's website that will open them up for you.

Yeah, what Liam said.

Those ought to be included in the v1.3 patch on id software's site, you don't need to pay extra for it.

Plus, I thought any boxed/retail version of Heretic came with those 2 episodes anyway.

How about Heretic II for that matter?

YAY, CIRCUS ACROBAT TRAINER!!!

Don't even THINK about applying to Ringling Bros or Barnum & Bailey without extensive experience in this great training program.

(NO.)

My opinion about Heretic: It's a fairly entertaining game, but I think it's seriously lame that the weapons are just Doom's weapons in disguise.
I like the enemies though.

Now Hexen, THERE'S are fine Doom clone!

i prefer hexen (and hexen2) to heretic.the level design is great.3 class to play,puzzle.i never play heretic2 so i have no opinion about it.

My opinion about Heretic: It's a fairly entertaining game, but I think it's seriously lame that the weapons are just Doom's weapons in disguise.

True, but the powered up versions are sweet though.

Now Hexen, THERE'S are fine Doom clone!

THE best :)

But, for whatever reason, I enjoy Heretic more.

Heretic II is great. Pay no attention to these sissies who can't maneuver the fucking character.

Shadows of the Serpent Riders is pretty cool, and WAY harder.

Heretic II is great. Pay no attention to these sissies who can't maneuver the fucking character.

I'm so sorry that I want to be able to run backwards AND fire at the same time, but I suppose it's a little hard to aim while you're sommersaulting all over the map.

Have you ever tried to run backwards and cast a spell? I can't even do the first part, let alone the second :)

I agree that the powered weapons are great, but that isn't enough for me to buy a game.
Heretic 2: I've only tried the demo, which was enough for me - too much balancing around on ledges and too many uncontrolable, fancy acrobatics and might I finally add: It's not an FPS.
While I think that the action in Heretic 2 is sufficient for my needs, there are just too many jumping puzzles.

Nah, I prefer a good FPS, where I can easily predict how my own character moves.

I never had any control problems, the timing for staff jumps took a while to get used to, nothing major.

it's nothing like the original (just like quake/quake2 and quake3) but I enjoyed it. Visually very good looking, a bit on the short side.

Avoid Hexen2, it's one of the most boring games ever.

Avoid Hexen2, it's one of the most boring games ever.

Bah, it's got some really cool looking scenery, and the first hub fucking rules, you can destroy the entire thing =)))

Heretic 2 rulz. I found it very enjoyable and very polished for a game that only took 12 months to make. The ending was weak unfortuantely.
Hexen 2 owns. Just don't expect it to be the easiest game you've ever played (hub 3 is possibly the most devilishly hard set of levels designed for an FPS).

Shadows of the Serpent Riders is pretty cool, and WAY harder.

100% agreement on my part. H2 is the shit. I love cutting enemies in two with the thunder blast.

SSR is a whole hell of a lot harder. Near impossible if you aren't quick with the mouse.

Heretic 2 rulz. I found it very enjoyable and very polished for a game that only took 12 months to make. The ending was weak unfortuantely.

Heh, the king of quick polished games is Hexen. Done in only 8 months.

yea old DOS games are fun, i have been getting into the keen games alot thesew last few months. sadly if u have anything above win98se it will not work, or it dont work right. goodthing i made a DOS only system. as for the memory error u get, u may have to free up some conventional memory(the first 640k of ram) i have never played system shock one so i dont know what it needs. goodthing about win95+ is that it loads almost nothng into the 640k spot so older games often work great with win95. win98 has alot of issues with some DOS stuff but it is the last of DOS. currently i am trying to find a copy of win95 b

Thanks for all the help, guys. The reason I only had three episodes was becuase I found a really old version of Heretic... version 1.0 actually. I fixed that with some patches.

I wish I could afford to have a separate machine for the Quake era on down... after I pee in a cup today I should have a job and I'll be able to afford a machine like that, but I think that after I move out it'll be the only PC I have. Right now I'm running Windows 98. It does have the option to restart in DOS for the purpose of running games- but I've had trouble getting sound effects to work properly when I do this. I suppose I should get an older card and see how that works.

Last night I downloaded the demo for Hexen II. All I can say is that I now remember why I hate games using the Quake engine. First of all, my wonderfull graphics card doesn't have the glide drives needed to get Hexen II running all pretty-like... which is confusing because I can run Quake in GL mode with no trouble. Second, and most importantly, mouse look is acting gimp. I hate being forced to push a button to use free look, and when I use the console command to enable force the toggle I'm stuck looking up and down and strafing instead of freely looking around. I suppose I'll just have to get used to that.

{sigh} That was H2's only weakness. The ending was PANTS

+mlook forces freelooking. Always worked for me.

As for Glide, yeah you're pretty much screwed. You might want to try out a Glide Wrapper but not sure how'll fast/good that thing works.

{sigh} That was H2's only weakness. The ending was PANTS

I loved fighting against Morcalavin. You're talking about that or the final cinematic?

Alright... I tried running System Shock (as well as a few other games) in DOS mode (restarting in DOS), but to my delight the drivers for my mouse and sound card were not loaded. I know I had this same problem about four years ago, but I have no clue how I fixed it, any suggestions?