Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

I am looking for "epic" style MIDI music? Do you know of any?

Ok, i just finished an arena style final map for one of my Doom projects, and all i need now is a epic MIDI song for it!

What i am aiming for is something that fills the player with tension, i am not talking about rock music here, but something like the music you often hear during the final fight between the good and the bad guys in movies, like the final fight between Neo and agent Smith in the third Matrix movie, just giving an example.

Do you know of any MIDI's like that? The only ones i can find are all rock MIDI's and that's not what i am looking for.

Sometimes it takes an entirely unexpected sort of music to make the level feel really epic. You could give a listen to the music in nuts3.wad, as an example.

Creaphis said:

Sometimes it takes an entirely unexpected sort of music to make the level feel really epic. You could give a listen to the music in nuts3.wad, as an example.

nuts3? I thought the nuts WADS were crap, was i wrong?

hardcore_gamer said:

nuts3? I thought the nuts WADS were crap, was i wrong?

Playable or not, Nuts 3's presentation (ie. graphics and music) is admirable.

Another MIDI I personally consider "epic" is the song played on Evilution map 31.

hardcore_gamer said:

but something like the music you often hear during the final fight between the good and the bad guys in movies, like the final fight between Neo and agent Smith in the third Matrix movie, just giving an example.

Like the song at the end of UTNT?

JohnnyRancid said:

Like the song at the end of UTNT?

You mean Ultimate Torment and Torture? I have not played that project so i would not know.

You can't really go wrong with the Descent soundtrack. There's all sorts of epic music in there, and you should be able to download all 38 midis for free off PlanetDescent.

Eternal Doom III has got some instrumental tracks kinda like that. Not very fast, but more atmospheric.

printz said:

I didn't find the Descent music particularly fitting Doom.

This, thanks for the suggestion though :)

Chrispaks said:

You can also create your own music. I use guitar pro 5.2.

I have guitar pro (though i don't remember what version) and it felt way to complex for me. So i am afraid not. :(

Anyways, i have already picked a MIDI and i have already uploaded my WAD to the /idgames.

Thanks for all of the nice suggestions :)

Creaphis said:

Speaking of which, what's the MIDI used in the original nuts.wad? It sounds like something out of Strife.

David_Dweedle said:

See if you can get permission to use the System Control Remix at

http://zoraspace.net/prjdoom.html

Imo its the best Song you can use for Epicness.

that song is terrible in MP3 format and it sounds nothing like what hardcore_gamer is aiming for.

printz said:
I didn't find the Descent music particularly fitting Doom.

Yeah, but Decent-like music might fit tech base styled levels with a good amount of action, although I don't think it sounded really epic.

I'd call epic certain types of music that give the impression of lofty actions or places, or perhaps by a parallel quality that is aimed at inflating the listener's ego.

kristus said:

Then there's of course Marc Pullen who made a lot of really good midis.

Ah yeah I love the tune he whipped up for map11 of Crucified Dreams - very reminiscent of John Carpenter's 'They Live' score. But heh, entirely atmospheric, not 'epic'.

Heretic and Hexen have some nice numbers in the latter regard.

StoneFrog said:

Speaking of which, what's the MIDI used in the original nuts.wad? It sounds like something out of Strife.

It's Led Zepplin

Actually, the Hell themed map in 32 inch Nails had a really aggressive and epic sounding midi track. I suggest you look that up.