Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Predictions for the most disappointing games of 09/10

Which upcoming games do you think will be disapointing in 2009/2010?

My picks are:

Halo ODST and Bioshock 2. Seeing they delayed Bioshock 2 due to the fact it would have been an unfinished product makes me have small hope.

Eh, I was expecting a sports predictions thread...

Jodwin said:

DNF :P

This pumped me up so much that I'll post a teaser IN-GAME screenshot, using DNF's NEW and ENHANCED engine:

Max Payne 3. Its now a 100% Rockstar game, it is impossible that is not utter shit.

I didn't know Rockstar was considered a terrible game company.

I mean sure, GTA 4 was a little disappointing but it's still pretty far from out right 'bad'

Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 will undoubtedly be shit. I can't really think of anything else on the way right now. I don't pay much attention to upcoming games. I usually don't know about any games until they've been out a few months already D;

cybdmn said:

Max Payne 3. Its now a 100% Rockstar game, it is impossible that is not utter shit.

It's kind of retarded when someone makes a sweeping generalization about a company like Rockstar, when there's about ten totally different studios in the company that have done and are doing totally different things.

That said, the studio working on Max Payne 3 is the same one that did Bully, and that was kind of boring. So who knows how it will turn out...

I did read an interview, though, that at the very least, the studio had absolutely nothing to do with the movie and they are basically not even acknowledging its existence as far as the story goes. The guy they interviewed stated that he hadn't even seen it.

So that gives me slightly more hope, at least.

I'm actually optimistic about Blizzard's games, otherwise I wouldn't be going to Blizzcon; still waiting for the often-delayed Starcraft II beta.

My predictions for biggest upsets would probably be Bioshock 2, C&C 4, Guitar Hero 5.

Super Jamie said:

All of them. Almost every game released has sucked since 1996. This year will be no exception.

This.

Though I'd personally put the cutoff around 1999-2001. That allows for Deus Ex, Quake 2, Starcraft, Diablo 1+2, Total Annihilation, and all the good games made by Black Isle.

Like a lot of people said, Starcraft II and Diablo III look like they're going to be rather disappointing. The part about Starcraft II being in 3 parts is at least going to delay my buying it for a few years until it comes out in a Battlechest or whatever.

Nomad said:
It's kind of retarded when someone makes a sweeping generalization about a company like Rockstar, when there's about ten totally different studios in the company that have done and are doing totally different things.

Well, Max Payne 3 is in Development at Rockstar Vancouver, the division who made Bully aka Canis Canem Edit.
But anyway, the retards are Rockstar, who have done rarely something different than new boring GTA Shit.

Nomad said:So that gives me slightly more hope, at least. [/B]

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi'ch intrate.

myk said:

Eh, I was expecting a sports predictions thread...

Quite. Thread title altered to reflect its contents.

Bloodskull said:

Starcraft II. No lan support? Get real Blizzard!

No LAN support?! Are you serious? Man, that's lame... Why would they get rid of that?

Lizardcommando said:

No LAN support?! Are you serious? Man, that's lame... Why would they get rid of that?

They probably want everyone to play online with Battle Net. If I recall correctly, they plan on charging a monthly fee to play Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 online.

Lizardcommando said:

They said that LAN support would increase the rate of piracy. I shit you not.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6212765.html

Also, my predictions will be anything related to Halo, a huge number of sports games (if not all of them), Wolfenstein, Rage (assuming it'll be out by 2010), and most everything else. There isn't much I'm looking forward to besides Aliens vs. Predator, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Dirt 2, and (assuming they'll be more info on it so I can make a better decision on anticipation vs. disappointment) Doom 4.

Nems said:

They said that LAN support would increase the rate of piracy. I shit you not.

Danarchy said:

Like a lot of people said, Starcraft II and Diablo III look like they're going to be rather disappointing. The part about Starcraft II being in 3 parts is at least going to delay my buying it for a few years until it comes out in a Battlechest or whatever.

I'm considering the same thing. I'm sure Blizzard will be just fine for a while without my money, thank you.

caco_killer said:

They probably want everyone to play online with Battle Net. If I recall correctly, they plan on charging a monthly fee to play Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 online.

Why? They've still got World of Warcraft. I've seen so many people addicted to that game that I doubt it'll stop being profitable for several more years.

Otherwise, I echo Danarchy. Anything after 2001 really doesn't capture my attention.

Prince of Darkness said:

Why? They've still got World of Warcraft. I've seen so many people addicted to that game that I doubt it'll stop being profitable for several more years.

It is most likely because of World of Warcraft. Blizzard has seen how much money they can make from monthly fees, and they know people will pay fees to play the new Diablo and Starcraft games online.

ITT: old nostalgic nerds complain that it just isn't how it used to be.

Just kidding. Well okay no, I'm not kidding, because that's exactly what's going on here, but hey, I'm the same way.

Creaphis said:

Just kidding. Well okay no, I'm not kidding, because that's exactly what's going on here, but hey, I'm the same way.

Gamer Types

It was only when I saw this that I realised I fall squarely into Type 13, and stopped even trying to like new games :P

Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 will be horrible... Blizz is just making these titles to stop the Fans filling up their WoW e-mail inbox with e-mails like " MAeK SC2 PlzZZZ Blizz I LUV U!! " etc etc..

@Whoever is bashing Rockstar then get your facts Straight. Rockstar created GTA Vice City and GTA 4 the BEST Grand theft Auto video games ever made.

Creaphis said:

Thank you, I was gooing to say something similar.

Sure a lot of shitty games are released these days but that's always been the case. In fact I think the average quality of releases over the last couple of years has been pretty high. Though I guess this depends on the platform and what kind of games you're into.

The problem I have with Max Payne 3 is that Rockstar are taking what was strong about the original games, namely the goofy plot and fast paced action, and turning it into what appears to be another overly serious brown cover shooter. Why does Max Payne need a cover system? The first two games were always about charging into a room, hitting bullet time and then flipping around the room and pumping bullets into everybody. There's also been rumors that the PC version has already been cancelled.

My big gaming disappointments are Bioshock 2 and Modern Warfare 2. Bioshock being a huge disappointment notwithstanding, Bioshock 2's plot reads like a bad fan fiction, and something just seems off about Modern Warfare 2 besides the fact that it's a transparent retread of Call of Duty 4. I don't doubt both games will be successful unless they prove to be major flops, so they're disappointing in the sense that they will never live up to the hype.

Snarboo said:

The problem I have with Max Payne 3 is that Rockstar are taking what was strong about the original games, namely the goofy plot and fast paced action, and turning it into what appears to be another overly serious brown cover shooter. Why does Max Payne need a cover system? The first two games were always about charging into a room, hitting bullet time and then flipping around the room and pumping bullets into everybody. There's also been rumors that the PC version has already been cancelled.

Rockstar Creative Directors Meeting

"Okay guys this successful franchise has just fallen into our laps, synopsis says it's about gritty stylized violence in New York and the main character is a troubled police officer with hair. Now how can take him out of his element and use lots of bloom?"

"Put him in the favelas? I love it. Oh and give him a gut and a beard for good measure."

Creaphis said:
I'm not kidding, because that's exactly what's going on here,

That depends.

It's going on here if the people buy these new games, get irritated by them, and don't play whatever old games they think where better while pining for them.

It could be another scenario: They don't even really care about the newer games, are uninterested in trying them, much less paying for them, and are busy playing old ones, which doesn't stop them from trashing the new games they have no interest in playing when they hear about them, because they'd rather not hear about them, or just enjoy trashing them as a means of retaining their identity and pride.

Remember, never associate nostalgia to a focused and productive interest in something old, just because that thing is old. Nostalgia is for those who don't have a current and direct link to their object of liking. A nostalgic can easily be looking for his lost love in new things. If a nostalgic is into old things, it's because he doesn't like them anymore, but yearns for the times when he did.

People who are less into older stuff they used to be in, tend to project and call those who are still into that old shit "nostalgics," but that's a blanket statement and potential bullshit.