Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Predictions for the most disappointing games of 09/10

Bloodskull said:

Starcraft II. No lan support? Get real Blizzard!

It's a shame in the RTS community. I bought myself of supcom and that one copy alone was needed for my old college house to play with eachother to mess around.

Also, I'm sick of Halo IP!

Snarboo said:

The problem I have with Max Payne 3 is that Rockstar are taking what was strong about the original games, namely the goofy plot and fast paced action, and turning it into what appears to be another overly serious brown cover shooter. Why does Max Payne need a cover system? The first two games were always about charging into a room, hitting bullet time and then flipping around the room and pumping bullets into everybody. There's also been rumors that the PC version has already been cancelled.

My big gaming disappointments are Bioshock 2 and Modern Warfare 2. Bioshock being a huge disappointment notwithstanding, Bioshock 2's plot reads like a bad fan fiction, and something just seems off about Modern Warfare 2 besides the fact that it's a transparent retread of Call of Duty 4. I don't doubt both games will be successful unless they prove to be major flops, so they're disappointing in the sense that they will never live up to the hype.

I dunno what Modern Warfare is but I agree with everything said about the other.

And I agree with Creaphis and Destx too.

David_Dweedle said:

@Whoever is bashing Rockstar then get your facts Straight. Rockstar created GTA Vice City and GTA 4 the BEST Grand theft Auto video games ever made.

You're definitely a retard. Rockstar created ALL of the GTA games. However, there are TEN Rockstar studios. Rockstar North made GTAIII, Vice City, San Andreas, and GTAIV. Rockstar Vancouver, the studio we are actually talking about, made Bully which kind of sucked.

cybdmn said:

Well, Max Payne 3 is in Development at Rockstar Vancouver, the division who made Bully aka Canis Canem Edit.

Good job saying exactly what I said in the sentence after the one you quoted.

cybdmn said:

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi'ch intrate.

Argumentum ad ignorantiam

destx said:

Thank you, I was gooing to say something similar.

Sure a lot of shitty games are released these days but that's always been the case. In fact I think the average quality of releases over the last couple of years has been pretty high. Though I guess this depends on the platform and what kind of games you're into.

Exactly! There is a higher concentration of high-quality games coming out today than ever before. However, very few of them seem to catch my interest!

And it's not nostalgia for me. It's mostly the fact that everyone is shooting for that ultra realism and making things either super challenging for the "hardcore 1337 gamerz" or super easy for the casual gamers, instead of aiming for fun.

Maybe we should have a thread for games that we are actually looking forward to instead of this pessimistic piss fest!

Super Jamie said:

No, John. You are the demons Big Daddies.

Pretty much sums up Bioshock 2 for me. :p

I like how they didn't address the biggest problem with the original: binary decision making that amounts to squat. What's the point of being good or evil if there is little difference between the two? Well, it was better to be good given the rewards you got for doing so, which were often better than the pure Adam boost you got from being evil.

myk said:

That depends....

I have no problem with an affinity for the aged. What I'm reacting against is this thread's instances of unwarranted pessimism. Pardon my imprecise language.

Heh, Yeah. I played Good first and saw the story as an indication of it being a quite different experience if you went bad. Then I went bad and the story made no sense after that. I am a baby eating maniac. Why on earth are they still helping me?

Nomad said:
Maybe we should have a thread for games that we are actually looking forward to instead of this pessimistic piss fest!

Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives, oblivious. Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered. Where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed that we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that as a species, human beings define their reality through misery and suffering. The perfect world would be the dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from.

In all honesty though, I'm looking forward to Operation Flashpoint 2, that Red Orchestra sequel, and umm, well that's about it.

I'm looking forward to getting the new Call of Juarez whenever it goes down in price some. The first one was only OK, but the new one looks great! And Red Dead Redemption looks absolutely fantastic too!

Also can't wait for Brutal Legend. On its surface it looks like a typical hack 'n' slash, but I'm hoping the story and humor make up for it.

And of course still waiting with bated breath for HL2: Episode 3. Valve better hurry the fuck up.

Oh boy. I saw people bashing Blizzard and right... bash all you want, but now I know why I was told this forum.

What a bunch of serious bullshit are people spitting just for the sake of it?

I guess most of you guys are just close minded retards or something. No good game since 1996? What the fuck is that shit? Thats just bull, complete stupidity to think that. What the fuck, seriously. This is fucking unbelievable. I agree that the last few years have been lacking in good games, but the close mindedness around here is fucking retarded. I can't believe it.

By the way, SC2 and Diablo 3 won't have any monthly fee. Stop spitting bullshit, this is stupid. SC2 looks rather disapointing, but Diablo 3 is pretty promising. No games that creates another genre, but I guess for any of you to actually like something thats coming, they need something that will fucking reinvent gaming or something.

That was just so fucking pathetic, I can't believe this.

USER WAS LOSERED FOR THIS POST

SFJake said:

BAWWWW I LIKE X SO YOU SHOULD LIKE IT TOO

SFJake said:

words

Whining about it and resorting to name-calling really gets your point across and makes people take you seriously!

I don't even pay attention to what games are being developed. They will probably all be disappointing anyways. All I need me is some classic Doom and I'm set.

Nomad said:

It's mostly the fact that everyone is shooting for that ultra realism and making things either super challenging for the "hardcore 1337 gamerz" or super easy for the casual gamers, instead of aiming for fun.

Yes, like this actually happens.

This thread, as expected, is very much like watching octagenarians discuss electronica.

Well. I don't know any commercial games that are super hard for harcore 1337 fags. But I do know of games that are dumbed down and super easy for the casual retards benefit. Bioshock and Prey are two obvious examples.

Ah yes, the infamous "go back to checkpoint after dying", regardless of the fact you're free to quickload after dying and completely ignore the mechanism. Everyone has a knack for forgetting this was also available in System Shock 2.

Well. In prey you just get to load up on Spirit power and health and then go back to the exact spot where you died. (even in the final boss fight)
EDIT: Prey in the so called hard mode, didn't even have health in the maps. You just had to die there to stock up on it in that death walk nonsense.

System Shock 2 DID have those chambers too. BUT they had a cost of nanites. So if you were out of those, you were out of luck.
Plus the last part of the game didn't have any of those things. You had to survive for real there. You also actually had to find the chambers and activate them before they would revive you. All these things play it's part in making a game.
While in Bioshock it's merely a minor annoyance to die.

Not to mention that the spritual successor of SS2 didn't actually put much of the spirit in there. Can you say dumbed down?

I'm so far behind the game community I don't have the privilege to predict what's good or what's bad.

But judging from what I see and the target audience, I will estimate that I will hate just about anything today. Ballsy? I know.

Zaldron said:

Everyone has a knack for forgetting this was also available in System Shock 2.

And System Shock. And Descent. Not that it means anything so I have no idea why you mentioned it in the context of hard vs easy gameplay.

I'm a fan of Far Cry and I've recently finished Crysis. It sucks.

All the fun and challenge of playing Far Cry on realistic is gone with the addition of regenerating health and cloak mode.

For some reason, probably being bitten by the realism bug, they've decided to make shooting impossible while driving vehicles. Way to take the fun out of using humvees and boats. The vehicle only maps that seem obligatory for FPS games nowadays don't follow that trend, but they are still shit compared to Far Cry vehicle oriented maps like River or Boat. Instead of providing the player with a lot of options on how to play the map they went back to the oldest model in the book that's been there since Terminator: Future Shock.

The alien ship map. Seriously what the fuck were they thinking.

So much for current trends fucking over fun gameplay. I used this as an example since both games are from the same dev and seem like they could both be equally good if the more recent one hadn't been screwed with to match the current standards.

cybdmn said:

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi'ch intrate.

Wow. At least get the quote right, this reminds me of the "italian" found in old Warner bros. cartoons like signs saying "lowea bridgeaga" on Venice's bridges.

I said what I said because these days nothing really interests me, and when something interesting does pique my interest, it usually disappoints me. There are some exceptions though. Some newer games I like include GTA 3, Dwarf Fortress, and the Total War series (though my cousin told me Empires was pretty disappointing). Most of the rest of the games I like are remakes or sequels that follow the original game's gameplay pretty well, like the Civilization series, the Sim City series, or the Pokemon series.

Nomad said:

Yes!

Though the only thing I can really put on my list would be Pokemon Soul Silver/Heart Gold. Never got a chance to play the originals. I'm also looking forward to getting a real video card so I can play Morrowind and Medieval II: Total War properly. :P

David_Dweedle said:

@Whoever is bashing Rockstar then get your facts Straight. Rockstar created GTA Vice City and GTA 4 the BEST Grand theft Auto video games ever made.

Thats your opinion, in my opinion every 3D GTA is utters shit. The whole "free to explore world" is just another explanation for pointless stumbling in a bad textured environment straight out of the Playstation 2, with its lack of memory.

Bank said:

Rockstar Creative Directors Meeting

"Okay guys this successful franchise has just fallen into our laps, synopsis says it's about gritty stylized violence in New York and the main character is a troubled police officer with hair. Now how can take him out of his element and use lots of bloom?"

"Put him in the favelas? I love it. Oh and give him a gut and a beard for good measure."

You summed it up perfectly.

Nomad said:

Good job saying exactly what I said in the sentence after the one you quoted.

I know, i had the feeling, that you don't understand what you wrote. It's the same studio, that developed Bully, that's the point.

Nomad said:

However, there are TEN Rockstar studios. Rockstar North made GTAIII, Vice City, San Andreas, and GTAIV.

Oh yeah, and they are SO independent to each other, you told that before, but the reprisal don't make it true. It is mostly the case, that one studio just porting a game from another Rockstar Division to another system. For example, Rockstar Vancouver developed Bully for the PlayStation 2, XBox and the Wii, while Rockstar Toronto and Rockstar New England was involved in porting it over to the PC. Independent heh?

Maes said:

Wow. At least get the quote right, ...

When in doubt, this is what wikipedia is for. :-D

Rockstar touched me? I hope not. :-D

Really, don't take me too serious about that. I find their games just boring, that's it. ;-)

For the record: I know, that they made Max Payne 2, and i liked it really. But they couldn't do what they want, fortunately.

Last decent game I played was HL2e2...next decent (new) game I play will be HL2e3.

kristus said:

Well. I don't know any commercial games that are super hard for harcore 1337 fags. But I do know of games that are dumbed down and super easy for the casual retards benefit. Bioshock and Prey and World of Warcraft are three obvious examples.

fix'd

I think that part of the reason that a lot of new games seems super easy to us also has to do with us playing Doom so many years. I'm not saying where all part of the l33t gamer bunch. But, most of us that play Doom on a regular basis do it on UV and we are constantly trying to up the difficulty with in reason on our maps.

Any one that has not been playing Doom for a while would have trouble with a few BoH's and a Cyberdemon just using the shotgun. But, thats nothing new to most of us. It could be that where use to playing games on a very hard difficulty that if a game is not close to the level where use to, its to easy.

Though some games are to easy these days. The whole heath regen system in so many fps these days sucks. Same with instant death recover systems like in prey and bioshock. IMO games that have one or the other should have setting where they can be played with just check points and good old heath kits.

cybdmn said:

For the record: I know, that they made Max Payne 2, and i liked it really. But they couldn't do what they want, fortunately.

The first two Max Payne games were made by Remedy.

I've never played a game with an instant death recovery system, and such systems do strike me as extremely silly. Regenerating health, though, I have no problem with, as long as the maximum amount of hp you can have is pretty low. CoD 4 on veteran is quite sensible, as just a short volley of enemy bullets can and will kill you. This way, the player still has to be skilled to survive individual counters and you remove the rigamarole of searching for medkits between fights. Also, regenerating health can be much more believable than health bars that are instantly replenished by medical supplies; you can pretend that every time a volley of bullets doesn't kill you, you were merely stunned or grazed, and must spend some seconds behind cover to recover your senses. However, when the player has regenerating health and a huge health reservoir, we have a problem. If the player can charge into every fight like a complete idiot and still survive, victory is cheapened. This also applies to health-meter games with too much health in supply and a nigh-indestructible player, eg. Doom 3. Nearly all of the boss fights in Doom 3 frustrated me - not because they were too hard, but because I was able to beat them despite making many clumsy mistakes and having no strategy, and it shouldn't be that way. I played each fight several times until I was satisfied with my own performance, as I simply could not accept that the game would allow me to continue after such a farce.

There have been a few moments where I have not died in games with heath regen when I should have. Its one thing to have a close call, its another to simply take more damage then you should. I remeber having a nade go off by me in cod3, running behind cover and taking a shotgun blast point blank in the back about 2 sec after finding cover. If it was not for the heath regen system I would have been dead from that shotgun blast. There have been a few other times where I should have bit the big one and didn't. Also having to duck behind some thing and wait a few sec during a big fire fight tends to kill the momentum and tension.

Instant death recovery systems remove all most all the difficulty from a game. Get killed by a boss and with in 30 sec your right back in the fight. If the bosses or enemys heath went back to 100% when you die it, there would still be some challange to the game. As far as I remember Prey and Bioshock did'nt work that way.