Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David_Dweedle

Anyone ever tried a Underground Techbase map before?

If anyones tried it can you offer me some architecture ideas? im playing around with Underground themes and was wondering if anyone had some ideas. Cheers.

Super Jamie said:

Make a techbase. Don't put sky in it.

Yes I sorta thought of that..

But I mean.. like what sort of variants of Underground techbase could their be? Lava rivers seperateing various structures is one I can think of but.. how would it be put into practice?

Funny, I've been building one over the past few weeks. There's a couple screenshots in the Doom Picture thread.

Krispavera said:

Funny, I've been building one over the past few weeks. There's a couple screenshots in the Doom Picture thread.

I'll go have a looksie.

Also I have another question.. Would I beable to get away with useing a Sonic the Hedgehog Midi as background level music? The one from the Chemicalplant in Sonic 2 really suits the Level im invisioning heh.

David_Dweedle said:

Yes I sorta thought of that..

But I mean.. like what sort of variants of Underground techbase could their be? Lava rivers seperateing various structures is one I can think of but.. how would it be put into practice?

Vats of lava, lavafalls. If you were real keen, you could recolor barrel sprites or a texture like NUKEDGE or SLADNUKE. There are existing Doom 2 PIPE textures with good red-liquid bases.

Think of what you do with lava. Maybe it could even represent molten metal, and you could have a crusher machine with a METAL2 or SHAWN block in it, like they were stamping out molten materials that had been cast.

There are heaps of techbase levels without sky, it doesn't change the fundamental nature of the map, maybe just makes it a bit darker. Good opportunity for some nice lightsourcing.

I think the green slime color probably complements the usual techbase colors a bit better, but it's do-able with lava/blood or even the Doom 2 brown and blue liquids.

Krispavera said:

Funny, I've been building one over the past few months. There's a couple screenshots in the Doom Picture thread.

:P

Super Jamie said:

Think of what you do with lava. Maybe it could even represent molten metal, and you could have a crusher machine with a METAL2 or SHAWN block in it, like they were stamping out molten materials that had been cast.

Cool idea this.

Kyka said:

Funny, I've been building one over the past few months. There's a couple screenshots in the Doom Picture thread.

Heh, I didn't think it was the most original idea when I started it. Which in turn brings me to this: Yes, someone has tried building an underground techbase before.

From what I remember, some of Torm667's levels (Torment and Torture series) has a few of this style, but the mind is fuzzy, haven't played them in a while....

Which reminds me, where has he gone?

KDIZD Z1M3 is a good example of this. I think it is the best of the pack, visual wise (It looks nice and doomy without being too over the top). The "mine" area below the main level is pretty sweet, in my opinion. It was pulled off quite well.

Krispavera said:

Heh, I didn't think it was the most original idea when I started it. Which in turn brings me to this: Yes, someone has tried building an underground techbase before.

That screenie you posted looked really good tho. Doesn't matter if the concept is not so original, what matters is the end result.

Kyka said:

Funny, I've been building one for a week now. But there aren't any screenshots yet. :(

Basically, to make an underground map, don't put sky in there. That's the only hard rule, so to speak. You can have lava in the base, but that's not necessary. It would only mean that either the base is very deep or in a volcanic area. Cave areas are a possibility, but again, not a necessity. You can give hints of the base being underground with lower lightning levels, wall cave-ins and so on. Of course, if you are going to have areas that are actually outside of the base, then those should be caves. If you're going to use liquids in the caves, just choose on one that fits your map best thematically (lava = volcanic area, toxic = toxic plant with faulty pipes, water and brown slime = natural cave or underground spring)

You could have tech-base areas connected with passageways dug out of the rock, with appropriate support structure present. Lava, as mentioned in previous posts, could be used to add atmosphere (and gameplay elements) to excavated areas and caverns. You could also check out Map09 (by Dutch Devil I believe) of Dark Resolution. The base in it isn't really underground base, but the map has some very tastefully done underground-ish elements that could inspire you.

Nomad said:

KDIZD Z1M3 is a good example of this.

More like Z1M7. Actually underground is her main theme. Even the intermission dives underground to show you're in there.

I saw that screen in the Doom Pictures thread, but that doesn't make it any less awesome. Do want.

Caverns, underground rivers/springs, pits, old mines, tight squeezes... and that's just on the outside. As with any other setting, the only limit is your imagination. Apart from your mapping skill. And the inherent limits of the engine.

He quit making DOOM levels, as far as I know.

No disrespect to the earlier comments as a techbase without a sky is a staple of underground ;)

Using small amounts of sky I think would help give the player some sense of where they are in relation to the surface as well. For example if you started close to the surface (and used some sky to show this) and worked your way down into the map, or vice versa.

-t