Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DuckReconMajor

Easiest way to change line direction

I have been wondering this since I first used Doom Builder. One of the biggest struggles I've had is building the sectors so that the lines face the correct way.

What I've found most annoying is that when placing a line, the line length covers up the little notch that tells what direction the line is facing.

So far the only solution I've found is to delete the line, put another one in its place, then manually set the sectors for that line. Is this the only way to do this, or is there an easier way I've been missing?

DuckReconMajor said:

is there an easier way I've been missing?

Yes there is, and always has been. Press 'f' to flip a highlighted linedef.

Another point worth keeping in mind - if you create a sector by going clockwise the lines face inward, go counter-clockwise and (provided you're not creating sectors in the void) the lines face outward.

One thing I've always wondered... Does it actually matter what way lines are facing? I mean, as long as they aren't pointing out into the void and you have the ones that matter going the right way(eg teleporters doors etc), does it matter?

GreyGhost said:

Another point worth keeping in mind - if you create a sector by going clockwise the lines face inward, go counter-clockwise and (provided you're not creating sectors in the void) the lines face outward.

And holdring Ctrl while drawing lines will not create a sector, but a void.

arrrgh said:

One thing I've always wondered... Does it actually matter what way lines are facing? I mean, as long as they aren't pointing out into the void and you have the ones that matter going the right way(eg teleporters doors etc), does it matter?

Yeah, it does matter.

As far as I know, it only matters for one-sided lines and certain actions (such as switches and teleports) that are only triggered on the front side. Like arrrgh said. What else is there Morpheus?

Morpheus said:

Yeah, it does matter.

Does it matter for old nodebuilders like WinDEU?

It does matter.

For example, let's take a teleporter. If you cross the lines from the front side, it works, from the backside it won't work.

That's the point: some actions just work with the front side of a 2-sided line. If you don't assing them the right direction, the teleporter screws up.

Morpheus said:

It does matter.

For example, let's take a teleporter. If you cross the lines from the front side, it works, from the backside it won't work.

That's the point: some actions just work with the front side of a 2-sided line. If you don't assing them the right direction, the teleporter screws up.

I was saying that as long as the lines that matter(like teleporters, doors, switches) are facing the right way, that it doesn't really matter that the rest are facing whichever way.

boris said:

And holdring Ctrl while drawing lines will not create a sector, but a void.

*mouth drops open* That's something new I've learnt today.

:O

I didn't know that either..Saves me the trouble from removing 2-sided/adding impassable flags, removing the back side and adding a middle texture to the front.

So that means you can have a teleporter with the lines facing the wrong way, leading to a trap! The player will enter it, think "Oh, it doesn't work" and exit... THEN it happens!

Also, the ctrl click thing is awesome and will be very useful to me. Thanks!

Nixot said:

So that means you can have a teleporter with the lines facing the wrong way, leading to a trap! The player will enter it, think "Oh, it doesn't work" and exit... THEN it happens!

But instead of thinking it was clever mapping, everyone else playing the map will think it's just a beginner bug.

Mr. Chris said:

:O

I didn't know that either..Saves me the trouble from removing 2-sided/adding impassable flags, removing the back side and adding a middle texture to the front.

Also saves me the trouble of doing all that mumbo-jumbo with the pretty press of DELETE.