Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technician

40 Years Ago Today

MOON LANDING
Why has an important day such as today pass without a thread?

Now that everything that needs to be said to commemorate this day, you may now close this thread.

I mean, if we weren't dumb enough to have junked the old tapes I might've been more stoked. But the fact that our government manged to mistakenly destroy the original tapes has me in a "meh" mood about it today.

Ah well. Continue on without me.

Belial said:

in b4 'never happened'

Said people are going straight to my looney(ignore) list.

In my opinion the Moon landing is what split the modern era from the last.

Yah I know. One of the most groundbreaking moments in man kind and they destroy all the media evidence besides a few broadcast tapes used for coverage.

This really does commemorate a time that boosted our technology. Sort of like what WW2 did.

Very much like the Pyramids, a testament to the resourcefulness of Humans. Truly a remarkable feat in retrospective, considering the last forty years of scientific advancement.

Now if only Mars was a matter of curiosity and not budget or overall perceived "usefulness".

We don't have an equally large super power to propel us further.

I also find it sad that we can look back at such human achievements and we still have creationist debates today.

Technician said:

I also find it sad that we can look back at such human achievements and we still have creationist debates today.

I also find it sad that we can look back at such human achievements and we still have evolution theory debates today.

Planky said:

I also find it sad that we can look back at such human achievements and we still have evolution theory debates today.

I also find it sad that we can look back at such human achievements and we still have dick-jousting contests over such issues today instead of simply agreeing to disagree, move along, get along, have a few drinks, and chill with our fellow man.

Oh well. Happy Moon Landing Day guys. (:

Nems said:
I also find it sad that we can look back at such human achievements and we still have dick-jousting contests over such issues today instead of simply agreeing to disagree, move along, get along, have a few drinks, and chill with our fellow man.

I also find it sad we can look back at such human achievements and can't just have our dick-jousting contests like men anymore, needing to find all these guilty, girly and nerdy excuses to have them indirectly.

If for just one moment, the whole world stopped in awe of the achievement of man.

Damnit, I want to see a moon base in my lifetime. That would be awesome.

I can't imagine how much "easier" it would be to control and "prepare for the worst" since we have processors that can do many many times over what the huge clunkers did back in the 60s. Really looking forward to the next mission.

Also, Guess who's twittering?

NASA
CAPCOM
EAGLE

Danarchy said:

Damnit, I want to see a moon base in my lifetime.

You probably will, the big question is who'll build theirs' first - American corporations or the Chinese Red Army?

Csonicgo said:

Said people are going straight to my looney(ignore) list.

The funny thing is that the "it never happened" conspiracy theorists only ever presented "evidence" for the first manned moon landing (Apollo 11), yet there have been other 6 successful moon landings (Apollo 12 through 17).

Csonicgo said:

If you talk about the Modern era to historians, you'll soon be confused, then.

Maes said:

...first manned moon landing (Apollo 11), yet there have been other 6 successful moon landings (Apollo 12 through 17).

You may wish to read up on Apollo 13. :p

Grazza said:

You may wish to read up on Apollo 13. :p

OK, except for that one. Still, most if not all "analysts" nitpick only on Apollo 11, while they don't have jack to say about all the others (excluding 13, of course).

Maybe Apollo 13 was faked and they did land on the moon?

Where's the footage of the explosion eh Nasa? No cameras on the outside of the ship? how convenient!

I was only 4 years old when Apollo 11 happened but even I remember sitting glued to the TV watching every moment. It had, and still has, a profound effect on me. Every now and again I look up at the moon and, still with a feeling of excitement, incredulity and awe, tell myself - we've been there. It's special, very special IMO. The word "awesome" is bandied about all the times these days but, IMO, the lunar landings genuinely are awesome.

deathbringer said:

Maybe Apollo 13 was faked and they did land on the moon?

Yeah, how "convenient" it was that they had a flight go wrong just when people were starting to get bored with moon missions and had forgotten that there were real risks involved. :p

Talking of risks, everyone is by now well aware of how close the actual Apollo 11 landing on the moon came to ending in catastrophe. But how well known is the issue with the blast-off from the moon? According to Dr David Baker (a senior NASA technical dude at the time - I've met him, and he's a cool guy, btw), the engine (which was one-use only) was the seventh of its type made. Of the first six, three had failed.

I wish I had, like Enjay, been old enough at the time to remember Apollo 11. I did see some of the later ones live, but it didn't mean too much to me unfortunately. The earliest I remember clearly was where the Russians and Americans docked in space.

I'd post pics of some Apollo hardware I saw in Nebraska, but I'm too lazy to upload them. But it certainly brought a new slant to the idea of "space-age" technology to see how primitive it looks by today's standards.

I heard that the control switch to the booster for lift-off broke off, and they used a felt-tip pen to activate it. Heh.

On the radio yesterday I heard an interview with Charles Duke, the 10th man on the moon. The most fascinating part was hearing about trying to get to sleep on the moon. I didn't really know enough about it before to realize they spent multiple days on the surface.

Can you imagine trying to get to sleep in your hammock, nestled in a cramped metal box while on the surface of the moon??

To commemorate the event. They showed a drama documentary TV series by Tom Hanks of the history spanning from WW2 through to the Moon landing on TV2 here in Sweden.

Maes said:

The funny thing is that the "it never happened" conspiracy theorists only ever presented "evidence" for the first manned moon landing (Apollo 11), yet there have been other 6 successful moon landings (Apollo 12 through 17).

I think it's funny how finally we can say it did happen because Mythbusters proved it.