Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wildweasel

No Rockets For You

Alright, here it is, my first real map:

http://www.box.net/shared/6t2rp3pt2m

It's going through the /idgames approval process at the moment, but I figured I'd want you guys to play it a little earlier. Requires Boom-compatible source port, tested in prboom 2.5.0.

Comments and critique appreciated. Flames, less so.

Pretty cool hey. Detailing is consistent and precise, your locations recognizable and the layout easy to get around. I love that first switch, simple but effective.

I felt a few parts were too easy due to the corridors or roofs being too small for the actual monster to even fire at me. Namely the Hell Knight at the top of the green passage, the Revenants in the exploding room, and the exit encounter.

The stairs with the zombiemen really kicked my ass, I had like 9% health by the end of that. Luckily there was that berzerk back. Shoulda recorded a demo.

I recorded my first try at the level, which can be downloaded here. It was recorded with PrBoom+ 2.5.0.3 and -complevel 9 (Boom compatibility.) It includes one death, and I missed one of the four secrets (and, consequently, several monsters.) Several of the doorjambs are not unpegged (including one of the secret doors,) but otherwise, it's pretty good for a first attempt.

Spoiler

Although, did you intend for the teleporter behind the yellow door to not actually work? The linedefs have a tag not used by any sector in the level.

Not bad at all. It's much better than my first map.

It's a little too dark overall (or maybe it's just my crappy screen) and a few guys got stuck in that stairway with all the little health bonuses and armor bonuses. Aside from that, I liked it. It was pretty fun.

Yeah, the yellow key room teleporter was a mistake - I pasted that section of the map from an older, unfinished map of mine and forgot to do something about that room. The actual progression of the map changed so many times that I could have sworn I'd already done something about it.

Good show, GreenHerring, thanks for the demo, and the rest of you, thank you for your kind comments. I'll try and be more careful about getting my shotgunners stuck in stairs. =P

Fun. The non-linearity was nice, and the map looked fine too. It's also good that there wasn't a ssg in the map, which helped balance the weapons (for this particular map) perfectly.

This map was very fun and good looking. Keep making them weasel, that's a great start.

Jodwin said:

Fun. The non-linearity was nice, and the map looked fine too. It's also good that there wasn't a ssg in the map, which helped balance the weapons (for this particular map) perfectly.

There actually is one, but only on Easy - it's in the cave with the yellow key. =P I'm trying to make a statement with that. It may not be clear yet, but the next map I make will have no shotguns or shells whatsoever.

Great map. Not overdetailed, not brutally long or short, but just right.

Sorry, WildWeasel, but your map sucks. :(

Haha, just kidding! Really, this is pretty nice stuff for a first effort. Especially the substance/at times even realism of the architecture is really cool. Such as arrows hinting at what a switch does, or controls/desks, etc. In spite of these details, I found the actual architecture to be fairly basic and the room design a bit repetitive, but I didn't find much in the way of ugly spots either and it certainly looked and was constructed quite a bit better than I thought it might be for a first attempt.

Gameplay isn't bad at all either, offering some challenge, and the map doesn't just go on and on; you could have used to add in a few monsters in the brief backtracking portions, but that's just a nitpick. And of course, I have no idea what the point of that room with nothing beyond the yellow-only door is, but it doesn't hurt the map either. The first part seemed horribly linear, but fortunately that corrects itself later on, when you're given somewhat of a choice of what order to get the keys in. My only other nitpick with the gameplay is that the area where you have the stairs and can see the yellow key in the distance should have been populated with a few strong monsters rather than many weak ones; the strong monsters make things more exciting. And on a final note, I wouldn't mind the difficulty of the whole map being bumped a bit. But all in all, I enjoyed my play, as despite the quibbles I mentioned above, it is a nice enjoyable map for the 10 minutes or so it lasts, and these are surprisingly minor quibbles for a first effort.

So it's not quite another Tangent Synapse (one of the best first maps I've ever seen), but it's a fine map still, and I'd say you're off to a pretty nice start. I know I focused on criticism a lot, but that is just my way of bringing to your attention what you could use to improve on, not a way of saying that your work is bad or anything else along those lines. After all, as I said, it looks decent, enhanceed by the substance/realism (?) in the architecture, and it is a fair amount of fun to play as well. Hope to see more from you, and hope my criticisms help you design an even better second map.

And as a bonus, the wad lives up to its name: There is a Plasma Gun, but there aren't any rockets.

Do0minat0r said:

Tangent Synapse (one of the best first maps I've ever seen)

I agree. How long had that dude spent practice mapping before releasing his first. Sorry for the hijack.