Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David_Dweedle

Possible to download the original Doom2.exe?

I wanna run it in DosBox to see what its like but all I have is Source Ports like Doom95 and Skulltag.. my Doom 2 disc never came with the EXE only the Doom95. Any help would be appreciated.

Just rename the .exe in that zip to doom2.exe if you want to use it with doom2. It works with both doom and doom2.

But doom2.exe runs horrible in dosbox, why don't you just use chocolate doom to see how vanilla is?

phi108 said:

Just rename the .exe in that zip to doom2.exe if you want to use it with doom2.

You don't even need to do that. The exe doesn't care what it's called.

David_Dweedle said:

.. my Doom 2 disc never came with the EXE only the Doom95. Any help would be appreciated.

You sure about that? Any Doom CD with Doom95 I've seen has the originals in another folder. Wait..why am I fucking talking to you.

Use3D said:

Any Doom CD with Doom95 I've seen has the originals in another folder.

That was true for the older ones, but not for newer ones. I've just checked a Collector's Edition CD from 2003, and no DOS exes there.

My impression is that the original Collector's Edition was the first that lacked the DOS exes, but I don't have all the relevant disks to be able to verify that.

But anyway, the shareware provides Doom2.exe, as stated above, and the Ultimate Doom exe can be produced by applying the Ultimate Doom upgrade patch to it (the upgrade to the wad will fail, but the upgrade to the exe will be successful).

Or you can get the "+" versions directly from here (bottom of page) - these are the DOS exes but hacked to extend some limits.

Use3D said:

You sure about that? Any Doom CD with Doom95 I've seen has the originals in another folder.

Maybe not on the cheap counterfeit CD he "bought" from shadyguydotcom.

Torn said:

But doom2.exe runs horrible in dosbox

Yeah, in Dosbox 0.63 and earlier. Times have changed Torn.

David_Dweedle said:
Any help would be appreciated.

Try here...

Grazza said:
My impression is that the original Collector's Edition was the first that lacked the DOS exes, but I don't have all the relevant disks to be able to verify that.

It seems that way; I don't have the CE disc with me either but all of the files in my install directory have 2001 timestamps except the DOS executables (which are from the mid 1990s), indicating that I likely flew them in from another source.