Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alastair

DB2: Editing Mode Help

I've been fiddling with Doom editing for many years with really basic levels just with architecture and some enemies but I want to go further and have enemies spawning in and the like so I tried ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format) and got it working nicely in there and failed to realise that I've severely limited options when it comes to doors and other things that I took for granted when editing Z(DiD). No sign of things like W1, WR, S1, SR et cetera. Is there a compromise or a suggestion for how to go about getting enemies spawning in with the variety of actions provided in Z(DiD) format? Will I have to use scripting to get the nice spawning features of DiH mode?

If you are looking for the type of trigger for an action (which you know as W or S) then look at the box below the action box. There you can choose how the line action is triggered (Player walks over, Player presses use, etc). In the options at the top of that dialog window you can check the box "Repeatable" to make it possible to trigger the action more than once (which is what you know as 1 or R).

You can also do the spawning with scripting. I think most people editing in Hexen format use scripting for spawning instead of monster waiting rooms.

I see: I missed those tick-boxes before! There still seems to be huge limitations like no Open-wait-close option for a door, despite the fact that I can't even get a door to open (I hear the noise but the door doesn't open). On scripted spawning in Hexen format: Why would people bother when there's Thing Spawn (135) with the Map Markers?

Thank you for replying already (and of course, a thousand thanks for making the programme in the first place) but do you know of a resource that might teach me how to do both (spawning and doors/teleports) in a single format?

I only stumbled upon these waiting rooms this evening by chance when inspecting someone else's level to figure out the spawning - it seems thoroughly round-about compared to the Spawn Thing action.

Thanks for the prior help, CodeImp. Deathz0r helped me out with Heretic format and everything's dandy now with my understanding of your wonderful editor. Keep up the great work!