Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eponasoft

Has anyone used Vavoom to make an entirely new game?

OK so I've been hunting around through the various source ports for a game engine that would suit my purposes. I have an old FPS based on a single-plane raycaster that I would like to remake using a DOOM engine. Originally, I attempted to craft 3D objects as levels for the Irrlicht engine, but that takes a tremendous amount of work. So, since the game really doesn't require all the niceties of a proper 3D engine anyways, I figure this is the best way to go. Vavoom seems to be the most proper engine to use for this, since most of the game logic seems to be scripted. So I'm curious as to whether or not anyone has ever used Vavoom to craft an entirely new game, and would have any insight as to potential troubles, techniques, or anything else that might be useful. :)

The most I've seen anybody do with Vavoom is a couple of single level WAD files; as far as I've seen, VavoomC is just too convoluted and the replacement Quake-based renderer just has too many inherent glitches to be useful.

Anybody else can feel free to prove me wrong, but honestly Vavoom doesn't cut the mustard for me.

I'd have liked to like Vavoom, but every time I tried it, it crashed lamentably within two minutes of play. :/

The handful of Vavoom projects out there really never motivated me to use it. As WW said, most are just single level 'demos'.
And the most interesting project (Silent Steel) was easily enough converted to run with GZDoom.

Hmm. I'm using PrBoom to mod. Maybe you should try that? Or, for 3D floors, GZDoom?

Gez said:

I'd have liked to like Vavoom, but every time I tried it, it crashed lamentably within two minutes of play. :/

Yeah, me too...

I can't get it run without any crash...... it crashes like ****ing HELL! Whatever I do it always crashes... :(

I was concidering using the Doom64EX engine to make a new game but who knows when that will happen.